LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Our OFFENSE is getting BETTER !

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by bigwads:
I think it is embarrassing that some Zoners forget that our success in the playoffs the last few years is because of CK. If you think that our running attack and Frank Gore are what caused us to win in the playoffs you are seriously on Mars. CK is our ticket, pure and simple...and Baalke knows it. Our running attack all but disappears during the playoffs (if you disagree go join Obama's flat Earth society....or just go back and look at the stats/film), and Gore is an afterthought.

CK is the stallion, and our OL simply sucks. That is our issue. Our interior OL simply cannot win one-on-one matchups in pass pro or run blocking. The fact that our WR's can't get open doesn't help either.

I agree. To get deep into the playoffs, you need a QB with icewater in his veins. Colin has proven he has antifreeze there. More road playoffs wins than either Joe or Steve says it all.

Ya, but he didn't do that from the pocket. A lot of running involved there. The longevity of that scenario is why he needs to "transfer" into a more polished pocket passer. Especially during the regular season.

The o line has blocked better against NO and NY. The passing game has looked bad, short of a couple long yardage plays here and there. One on a desperation broken down play. A couple against NY.

The main issue is the redzone. Horizontal passing in general. Without Kap rushing in the redzone it falls on his arm and he has issues playing with a short field. Also, we got back to running in the redzone against NO, and guess what happened? TD's. This falls on coaching.

Some of our redzone issues have been on play calling. And mistakes from receivers. And the o line. And Kap. I'd say 25% each. But generally the overall play design is also limited by Kaps limitations in the pocket. That gives him, or his learning process, a little more of the blame in my eyes.

But it's not static. One week the o line can play so bad Kap doesn't even have a chance. Then they can block well and he can't get much done. Then we can get to the redzone and Roman will call a bonehead play. Or a TE/WR will drop the ball. Everything is a complicated mess.

The "easiest" fixes are the o line play and mistakes from receivers. Designing a passing game taking Kaps limitations into account is another thing. Calling in the right plays, or playing the chess game is another. And Kaps development in the pocket really does complicate or limit the complexity of the passing game.

It's a multi sided issue. It's easy to just blame Roman. I only focus on Kaps current limitations because a lot of people seem to forget what Harbaugh is trying to do with him.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree. To get deep into the playoffs, you need a QB with icewater in his veins. Colin has proven he has antifreeze there. More road playoffs wins than either Joe or Steve says it all.

They would probably beg to differ, given the fact that they are 5-0 in the biggest game there is. Last I checked, those with ice in their veins thrived when their team was down and relished completing a 4th quarter comeback. Kap is.... Well, not very good in that situation. Playoff road wins come to teams with a great D and strong running game.
  • CMIO
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by CMIO:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
We'll maybe going after manning wasn't a bad idea Jim.

Yeah...maybe if Manning could hanndle a little friendly throwing competition, without acting like a little b*tch, he would be our QB...

Manning made the biggest mistake of his career by feeling sorry for Eli and not wanting to compete with him, thereby deciding to join with Denver instead of us.

With our roster, I'm willing to bet that right now we'd probably be playing for the 3-peat, and Mannings legacy would have geen GOAT with a 3-1 SB record trying to go for his 4th ring with us this year.

Instead, he's gonna retire with one ring and multiple SB losses. Not as the greatest QB of all time, but rather he'll be forgotten like Favre...great regular season QBs that choked on the postseason.

Nice decision papa johns. Your younger brother has more rings than you
Favre was the greatest QB of all time when he was playing the 49ers. I don't know where you could find it but I have to believe his winning percentage against us was better than any other team except maybe if he only played someone 3 times and was 3-0. We beat him all of two times, the catch 2 game and one game as a Jet. Both teams had there ups and downs so they usually had similar records when met. The fact he was 12-2 or something like that against us was crazy.

At one point of his career, he was considered as one of the greatest QBs of all time. Remember all the comparisons to Marino, Montana, Elway. What killed his legacy (besides the inability to retire) was his postseason performances. Outside of 96, he was the ultimate underachiever in the postseason, usually costing his team with boneheaded decisions. Just like Manning. Unstoppable force during the season, can't carry the team in the playoff.

My point being that we were handing him the SB trophy. The Niners had a complete team that just lost the NFCC game by a thread, and we were boasting a young hungry defense kept intact. Not to mention an offense featuring Gore, Crabtree, and VDavis. He was literally being handed a SB trophy x 2 or 3. Instead, he felt sorry for baby brother and went for a half assed Broncos squad that barely competed in the AFC.

To each his own. Instead of being considered tge GOAT, he's still just a good regular season QB.
Originally posted by CMIO:
Got your attention ?!

Despite putting up a putrid 16 points against an awful Giants defense, our offense is trending in the right direction. Here's my take...feel free to agree or rip me to shreds.

1) We're starting to focus on the RUN game again, therefore reverting back to our TRUE identity. Compare it to 3-5 weeks ago, when a "pass happy" Niners offense was getting stomped by opposing defenses. We looked dreadful against the Broncos, cause Roman was convinced Colin Brady could outscore Peyton Manning. End result ? Blowout. Then we played the lowly Rams (not so lowly after yesterday's effort). They blitzed the s**t out of us. Our response ? Let Kap pass to victory. End result ? Getting our asses handed to us.

BUT it's no coincidence that focusing more on the run game these past 2 weeks has led to a 2-0 record. Is it perfect ? No way, but thats because Roman still tries to force the pass. But I think he's eventually going to get the point. RUN RUN RUN, and let that aspect of our game set up the pass. My expectation is that we'll emphasize this even more next week against Washington, and if things go as planned, we should end the season transitioning back to a run first offense.

2) We're moving the CHAINS ! Yes, we're not scoring on every possession, and yes I'd like to see us score more than just FGs. But we are moving the chains. Im not seeing too many 3-and-outs from this team (at least not as much as the first half of the season), and this is primarily due to point (1) stated above. If Gore didn't fumble on that first drive, that was an easy 3 or 7 points there. If Crabs doesn't drop that pass in the 4th quarter, maybe some more points. We're moving down the field, just not finishing drives. This is obviously something we need to improve on, but again....much better than pre-bye, where it seemed like our defense wasn't getting any time to breathe.

3) TIME OF POSSESSION. Haven't looked at the stats, but these past two weeks seems like we're controlling the clock. In both victories, we basically choked star QBs into submission by leaving them no time at the end to mount comebacks. This is what we have done best in years past. Score just enough to take the lead, then force the opposition to score with limited time left. Yes, it's a nail biter. And yes, Ive kept the First Aid kit next to me just in case I need to defibrillate myself. But Brees and Eli are SB winning quarterbacks, and we rattled them both.

4) No cute stuff. Haven't seen any end arounds, read option BS these past 2 weeks, have you ? I think someone realized that s**t doesn't work. Keep it that way Roman.

5) Penalties ? Remember how we were getting hosed the first 3 weeks ? The false starts, offensive holding, personal fouls, etc have started to disappear. Which tells me the team is playing poised. Obviously you can't eliminate ALL the penalties, but much better than pre-bye.

6) Bye-bye deep pass ? Looks like Roman is starting to revert back to a more traditional WCO scheme. Only 1 deep ball yesterday to a backup TE. But saw several plays (many that weren't executed well) where the running back was sweeping out the backfield for a pass. Also a lot of short passes before the chains to set up 3rd and short. Good news.

Not there yet. Map still needs to do a better job of executing and limiting mistakes. I would still like to see him throw it away rather than force the issue when under pressure. Still seeing some dropped balls.

But we're getting there, and hopefully it'll be enough to get us in the playoffs. Now, once we're in, I expect Harbaugh to UNLEASH Kap like last year, giving him free reign to run wild.
I want to answer this thread with a question. Are you Greg Romans Son?
Originally posted by bigwads:
I think it is embarrassing that some Zoners forget that our success in the playoffs the last few years is because of CK. If you think that our running attack and Frank Gore are what caused us to win in the playoffs you are seriously on Mars. CK is our ticket, pure and simple...and Baalke knows it. Our running attack all but disappears during the playoffs (if you disagree go join Obama's flat Earth society....or just go back and look at the stats/film), and Gore is an afterthought.

CK is the stallion, and our OL simply sucks. That is our issue. Our interior OL simply cannot win one-on-one matchups in pass pro or run blocking. The fact that our WR's can't get open doesn't help either.
Ck is the best Player on this team! Or do you want Alex Smith back who hasn't completed one td to a wide receiver this year! Boy am I glad he is gone!
Oh your talking about on Madden! Man for a minute there I thought you were talking about in real life!
  • dugo
  • Veteran
This offense has been a mess since pre-season, and IMO has gotten no better ,no continuity hasn't come together whats so ever. What ever the reasons are and they are many its very frustrating..with so many weapons I think we were all hoping to see a dynamic offense this season instead its in shambles.. Improvement, I haven't seen it..I'm always grateful for the win no matter how we got it .but unless the O gets it together its gonna be rough going on the bottom part of reg season as teams start to up their game to make the playoffs...
Promote Greg Roman to HC and GM. Problem solved.

Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
They would probably beg to differ, given the fact that they are 5-0 in the biggest game there is. Last I checked, those with ice in their veins thrived when their team was down and relished completing a 4th quarter comeback. Kap is.... Well, not very good in that situation. Playoff road wins come to teams with a great D and strong running game.

Those road playoff wins didn't come easy to Matt Schaub now did they? Kap played a huge part in our road playoff wins as well. ATL CAR and GB come to mind.
Did everyone forget that we were 3/3 in the redzone @N.O.?

We woulda had at least 28 points if Boldin hadn't dropped his 2nd TD.

Of course, we then s**t the bricks at NYG the next week, but still...it gives me hope
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Nov 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone