There are 162 users in the forums

Week 11 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: Rough game for #7. Didn't make the killer mistake, didn't make the superhuman play...but thankfully he didn't need to. He was scattershot all day. At times I wondered if the cold was bothering him as it seemed he didn't have command of where the ball was going, but he's played in far, far colder weather.

There were a couple drops and a few where I think the receiver could have made a better effort (I'm looking at you Vernon), but Kap was inaccurate on a number of his throws yesterday.

Kap did make a few really nice passes (TD to Crab for one), but as it has been all year, just seemed like they can't consistently sustain anything long enough to punch the ball into the endzone (more on that later).

2) Borland: Godsend. I keep thinking THIS will be the week he comes back down to earth.,..but it hasn't happened yet. A kid with his physical limitations just shouldn't be producing like he is...but he continues to do so week after week. So smart, so quick, so tough, so instinctual. GREAT pick by Baalke.

3) Lynch: Seems like I'm talking about this guy every week. Another big game. "Long Levers" as Baalke would say. My hope is just that Lynch takes this offseason much more seriously than he did in college because he'll be counted on far more next season than he was early this season. He has some serious potential as a pass rusher and MAN does it looks good when there is someone eating up blockers on the other side. Speaking of that other side...

4) Aldon: Looked a bit slow to start as he was getting his feet under him, but started to round into form. Should have had a sack or at least intentional grounding at the end there. There was at least one play where Aldon was TRIPLE teamed. Offenses very aware of where he is and are accounting for him. That is good news for Lynch and everyone else on that front.

5) Brooks: I really don't know what to make of this. If he really did pout and refuse to re-enter the game as has been reported, there is a part of me that wants him canned and out the door TODAY. No room for that. On the other hand, if Lynch or Aldon get hurt, Lemonier has shown zero ability to get to the QB this year. Either way, Brooks and his 7 Mil salary are gone next year. The writings on the wall on that one.

6) Fangio: No matter what happens to Harbaugh this offseason, Fangio cannot leave. It cannot be allowed. What he's doing this year without his biggest horses can't be overstated. Niners won that game yesterday on defense. The offense just couldn't get out of it's own way and the D just delivered the ball back time after time. How many times do you think an opposing QB throws FIVE INTs and his team loses by only 6 points and had a chance to win at the end?

7) Roman: As many of you know, I'm not nearly as hard on Roman as other are here...but I didn't like a number of calls in this game. Too much trying to fool someone and too little straight forward football. Not a fan of the planned runs by Kap. Not a fan of Vernon Davis running the ball. Somehow every flanker screen almost always gets picked off on this team. The redzone offense tho is the biggest problem. So hard to lay that on just one guys doorstep as so many have their hands on it, but I haven't liked the play calling at all of late when they get inside the 20.

8) Vernon: He just ain't right. That's all I can say. Dunno if it's physical or mental, but he just isn't the same. He seems to be moving OK, but I just don't see a lot of EFFORT trying to get to the ball. He's never been a "dive for it" type player, but he just seems to give up on the ball so easily and it looked to me at least form the TV angle that he had a shot for at least on of those throws that could have been a TD. The throws weren't perfect so Kap has a hand in that as well, but there is a chance Vernon, go get the damn ball. No room here to let chances pass you by.

9) "Things bad teams do": That last one is a bit problem I have watching games these days. The Niners let those chances slip through their fingers CONSTANTLY. They've been doing that all season. They just seem to do a lot of things that bad teams do. Kick field goals in the redzone. Fumble untouched. Consistently snap the ball off target in shotgun (come on Marcus). Miss open receivers. Miss blocking assignments let the unblocked guy kill your QB. It's WAY too late in the season and this teams coaching tenure for this crap to still be happening at this rate. I don't know what to make of it.

Through TEN full games this year, the Niners have yet to put together a consistent, beginning to end solid game. They always find some way to get their big toe squarely in their sights and start firing. The offense all season has been disjointed and incapable of sustaining anything. They have the talent...they just can never seem to put 4 quarters together. They need to start. NOW.

10) NFC West: Damn Cards just keep on winning. Maybe in the long run that's a good thing. I'd much rather play in Arizona in January than in Seattle. Problem is that getting one of those Wild Card spots ain't gonna be easy. Just keep winning tho. One game at a time. Its all they have control over.

As ugly as this game was (on offense anyway), it still counts as a W.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Regarding numb er 10.

I'm starting to wonder if we should start rooting for the cards so they have Home field throughout. If....IF the 49ers manage to make it in, having the Cards with the best record and HF only helps. The 49ers won't have to travel far and it will be a stadium they're very familiar.

I Don't see the 49ers catching up with them, and I still believe that they'll have to win out or just drop one game. If the drop a game, and its to the Seahawks, no playoffs.
"A kid with his physical limitations just shouldn't be producing like he is"

I think people way over-exaggerate his "limitations." Is he the ideal height for an ILB, no, but the guy is only an inch shorter than Bowman and people don't really bring up his height as an issue.

He's built like a tank, was one of the strongest at his position at the Combine. He doesn't have great length or tremendous straightline speed but has very good quickness which combined with his overall awareness, instincts and intelligence gets him to exactly where he needs to be on the field.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think people way over-exaggerate his "limitations." Is he the ideal height for an ILB, no, but the guy is only an inch shorter than Bowman and people don't really bring up his height as an issue.

He's built like a tank, was one of the strongest at his position at the Combine. He doesn't have great length or tremendous straightline speed but has very good quickness which combined with his overall awareness, instincts and intelligence gets him to exactly where he needs to be on the field.

He's 5'11, run a 4.8, and has 29 inch arms.

Those are all physical limitations.

He makes up for all that tho because while runs a 4.8 40, is small areas he's actually very fast. He just has no long speed. That was on display in the preseason when he was running after an INT.

The arms haven't been an issue thus far because he seldom makes arm tackles. He hits with his entire body and runs through the ball carrier. He's also been fairly adept as shedding blockers which is surprising because the O-Linemen have the arms length advantage.

The height....I think it may work to his advantage at times. Seems like he gets low just like a RB and find the hole through the line to crush the ball carrier.
Good breakdown as always

I think Culliver deserves a shout-out too... He and Dontae Johnson stepped up big with our decimated CB situation.

And good call talking about the mis-snaps... that's a problem!
dp
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Nov 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Good breakdown as always

I think Culliver deserves a shout-out too... He and Dontae Johnson stepped up big with our decimated CB situation.

And good call talking about the mis-snaps... that's a problem!

Yup...should have mentioned Cully. One of his best games.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's 5'11, run a 4.8, and has 29 inch arms.

Those are all physical limitations.

He makes up for all that tho because while runs a 4.8 40, is small areas he's actually very fast. He just has no long speed. That was on display in the preseason when he was running after an INT.

The arms haven't been an issue thus far because he seldom makes arm tackles. He hits with his entire body and runs through the ball carrier. He's also been fairly adept as shedding blockers which is surprising because the O-Linemen have the arms length advantage.

The height....I think it may work to his advantage at times. Seems like he gets low just like a RB and find the hole through the line to crush the ball carrier.

I think he's playing great too however I disagree on one thing which is he tends to get swallowed up when the olineman gets to the second level. Fortunately for us our defensive front requires double-teams at a couple spots.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I think he's playing great too however I disagree on one thing which is he tends to get swallowed up when the olineman gets to the second level. Fortunately for us our defensive front requires double-teams at a couple spots.

I've seen him shed blockers pretty well, albeit a FB not an O-lineman. Still, he's been extremely impressive making up for his lack of physical tools with incredibly instinctive play.
On Fangio I think he's gone if they don't make the playoffs. Some team might make him a head coach and i can't blame them.

Niners never seem to take advantage of turnovers. Same issues the entire tenure. The biggest weakness and why they don't have a ring is red zone scoring. Instead Niners have fg parties.

Kap accuracy was shot yesterday and Borland is a beast.

Originally posted by lamontb:
On Fangio I think he's gone if they don't make the playoffs. Some team might make him a head coach and i can't blame them.

Niners never seem to take advantage of turnovers. Same issues the entire tenure. The biggest weakness and why they don't have a ring is red zone scoring. Instead Niners have fg parties.

Kap accuracy was shot yesterday and Borland is a beast.

At this point I would Take Fangio as HC over Harbaugh. It has become clear that the biggest reason for the team's success under Harbaugh is the defense and not the inconsistent offense that has not progressed in 4 seasons.
Great read!
  • thl408
Really disappointed in the offensive showing. I'll be sure to investigate that first thing once the all22 is available. 49ers were 0-2 in the red zone yesterday with one failure to score a TD when Gore/Kap fumbled. The other red zone chance started off poorly on the -7 read/option play on 1st and goal.

It seemed like the 49ers were a bit impatient yesterday with the passing game. They went for chunk plays when it felt like the short passing game was there for the taking. I thought the pass protection was good for the most part and Kap could have hit a bunch of underneath routes as the LBs started to sag into their zones. They flashed a stat during the game where the 49ers were 0-7 passing outside the numbers (on the field), and were doing very well when throwing inside the numbers. Yet they continued to go for chunk plays up the field, down the sidelines. It was as if they thought they should blow out NYG and tried to do that as quickly as possible. Forgetting that to hit big plays deep, they have to first hit little plays short.

Looking big picture, the 49ers did well to win on the road. Didn't look pretty, but to me, it didn't need to be. Now to bunker down and head into the homestretch with the only real road game left in SEA.
Nice breakdown, Marvin. The only thing I'd add is the continuous average-to-poor play of Special Teams in all phases (except for Lee getting back on track). It's such an important part of the game as we know with momentum swings that can happen, etc. Yesterday, the ST play was again pretty bad. On their kick & punt returns, it's almost like the Niners have no chance to score a TD at all (blocking isn't there, etc.). And on kickoff coverage, they need to step it up or Dawson needs to kick it through the end zone. In the second half, the Niners score the quick TD and then Dawson's kickoff doesn't even reach the end zone...and then the Giants return it to the 40 w/ the crappy coverage. Kick the damn ball through the end zone and make them start at their own 20 and go the 80 yards - I'd put my bet on the Niners' D stopping them like they had most of the game. Also, the LS Nelson...what's going on w/ some of those snaps on FGs? Lee saved him the other game w/ the good catch and hold...yesterday, the snap was off again and Lee couldn't bail him out. The Niners really could have used that FG, too, as it would have given just that much more breathing room.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM ]
I pretty much agree with what you've already posted... lots of good things to take away from this game even if it was ugly... GO ALDON!

Our offensive self-awareness is ridiculous.
--- how many times do we run routes short of first downs or short of the endzone?
--- on ninernation.com there was a post where this guy saw the game live at giants stadium
---- says all giants fans said giants D came to play, played with pride, especially after getting whacked last week
---- says that all our route combinations are extremely simplistic and defenders knew exactly what we were running, CBs were running routes for us

Marv, since you wont say it I will

FIRE GREG ROMAN U PIECE OF s**t!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone