LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Chris Borland. What to do with him when Bow and Willy re healthy.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I honestly dont know. This kid has three turnovers in four starts. Thoughts?
Next years problems. Don't care right now.
Go with the "hot hand"
If all 3 of them are healthy, Borland sits his ass on the bench. Even Borland knows that. lol

merge this with the Borland thread.
Easy, 4-3 base defense.

WLB - Bowman
MLB - Willis or Borland
SLB - Willis or Borland

RDE - Aldon
NT - Dorsey/Williams
DT - Smith/McDonald
LDE - Lynch
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM ]
I think my priority would be looking into trading Brooks, possibly Boone, Davis before Willis. If Borland keeps up the play it's something to think about though. Borland will be 24, Bowman is 26, Willis will soon be 30. Could keep Willis through 2016 when his contract runs out and then Borland could take over. The amount of injuries this team has dealt with lately I'm sure there will be games we need Borland for Willis or Bowman. Also, might think about trading him after this year or next year if we could say get a 1st round pick for a 30-31 year old on the last year or 2 of his deal. All that being said I think we keep Willis and Borland plays on ST and then fills if Bowman or Willis are ever out. Like I said trading Brooks, Davis (32 when contracts up after next year)... do we really want to pay him 5 years 45 million the way he's playing. Could always wait and see how he does next year and then let him go and possibly collect our 3rd round comp. A lot of decisions to be made we have a chance to get younger this offseason and next with guys like Dawson, Smith, Davis, Willis, Boone, Iupati, Bowman, etc.

Edit: and all that said I'd say fixing our O staff (Roman, Solari, Morton, mangini) is more important to me this offseason than trading away overpaid guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
If all 3 of them are healthy, Borland sits his ass on the bench. Even Borland knows that. lol

This
Enshrine him into Canton
Gotta love web zone logic… We finally have amazing depth, trade it!

We NEED them all. Being able to rotate those 3 will do wonders for all 3. Bowman & Borland on run downs, Bowman & Willis on pass downs, and WIllis and Borland to give Bowman rest as needed.

Borland is an amazing "in the box player" but if you noticed they did everything possible to keep him in zone coverage and not have to go man-to-man on anyone other than a RB. Hell I could see Fangio throwing Bowman into Brooks' position in some situations and having all 3 on the field at the same time.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

We NEED them all. Being able to rotate those 3 will do wonders for all 3. Bowman & Borland on run downs, Bowman & Willis on pass downs, and WIllis and Borland to give Bowman rest as needed.

Borland is an amazing "in the box player" but if you noticed they did everything possible to keep him in zone coverage and not have to go man-to-man on anyone other than a RB. Hell I could see Fangio throwing Bowman into Brooks' position in some situations and having all 3 on the field at the same time.

And sit lynch?

This. Borland ain't no All-Pro/HOF caliber LB. BTW, this is a very good problem.
Well Borland's knock is his coverage and if we would trade Willis if the price was right then we could leave Borland in Bowman's role of in the box guy and make Bowman the cover guy like what Willis is now. We definitely don't want to have Borland in coverage (wilhoite for that matter either). I mean if it meant helping secure Aldon long term and say we get a 1st and change for Willis would it be that crazy to trade a 30 year old LB (with bowman 26, borland 24) if Borland played this way the rest of the year? Maybe not after this year but after next year it's possible with willis then being on his last year. Like I said though we will likely keep all 3 but would be tempting if someone through out say a early 1st or a mid/late 1st and mid rounder.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
And sit lynch?

That is why I said "in some situations" . If its an obvious passing down then yes, Aldon & Lynch is who should be in there. But in early down situations where Brooks would be doing a rush/drop option… if dropping into coverage seemed more likely then a Bowman Borland Willis Smith LB core could be more effective, kind of like a LB nickel package.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

Brooks' position? You mean the one he seems to have lost today?

That's Lynch's position.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

This. C'mon man
Share 49ersWebzone