There are 188 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Rant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carlgo:
What would happen if the Niners swapped coaching staffs with the Eagles or KC? Think the receivers might be better all of a sudden?

Yes.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by carlgo:
What would happen if the Niners swapped coaching staffs with the Eagles or KC? Think the receivers might be better all of a sudden?

Yes.

No question. CK would also suddenly have a short, controlled passing game that would also help open up his intermediate to deeper passing game even more.
Question for all: How do the niners run their draft as far as coaches are concerned? Would Morton have any input about prospects? Or do they rely on the scouts?

I still think that 2012 draft was basically, Baalke's first real year and he appeased his position coaches...every pick went right down the line for each position coach. And it failed badly. So he went back to HIS format after that and the past two drafts have been much more consistent and far more successful. In fact, I evaluated his 2013 draft closely and in the Team Needs thread, predicted we'd take Ward. I think every year you're going to see drafts closer to 2013 and 2014 than 2012 (an anomaly).

Originally posted by NCommand:
I still think that 2012 draft was basically, Baalke's first real year and he appeased his position coaches...every pick went right down the line for each position coach. And it failed badly. So he went back to HIS format after that and the past two drafts have been much more consistent and far more successful. In fact, I evaluated his 2013 draft closely and in the Team Needs thread, predicted we'd take Ward. I think every year you're going to see drafts closer to 2013 and 2014 than 2012 (an anomaly).

Interesting! This sounds right...sort of what they do on offense and need to go back to one guy in charge? LOL! I think the draft is sort of an art form in that one guy has to internalize all the info and be able to evaluate cross position value...not easy for position coaches so Baalke has to be the collator of all input when making a pick. Hope you are right! Bodes well for the future!

Interesting! This sounds right...sort of what they do on offense and need to go back to one guy in charge? LOL! I think the draft is sort of an art form in that one guy has to internalize all the info and be able to evaluate cross position value...not easy for position coaches so Baalke has to be the collator of all input when making a pick. Hope you are right! Bodes well for the future!

It sure does. It still is insane to me to see all these 2014 picks not only playing but playing significant roles for us ALREADY!
It sure does. It still is insane to me to see all these 2014 picks not only playing but playing significant roles for us ALREADY!

Believe that this draft will go down in history as one of the best ever. If Acker, Thomas and Reaser pan out it will be a cinch!
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Really? What other WRs would you have preferred in that draft? Just for the record, I'm not happy with Crabs comments after last week's game either and no I don't think he's elite but he's been a very very good WR for us. To act like he's not or downplay that fact is just ignorant.

Crabtree WAS a very good WR for us through 2012. Last season he was injured and didn't have the burst when he came back. This season appears more of the same. You can't downplay the seriousness of an Achilles surgery on a WR. He obviously is not as quick as he was, but he is also not able to make the same cuts and is having a helluva time getting separation. Forgetting his attitude and hangdog look, he is just not performing and 8 drops is the proof. There is zero chance of him getting a huge salary at year's end and he has always wanted to play for Dallas. Maybe we can package him with VD and get Dez Bryant in return.

I wanted Mack all the way that year. Trade down or not. Mike Wallace was picked in the third round of the same draft. Harvin has done more than Crabtree, same draft. Hakeem Nicks > Crabtree. At least he was when he was healthy. Either way, Alex Mack was the guy we needed to be drafting there due to his incredible measureables and incredible play in college.

Reasons I did not like Crabtree:

1) Offense he played in.
2) Hurt before draft, couldn't even work out, looked quicker than fast on film (indicating the skills to be a possession guy, not a #1... except for all the drops).
3) Attitude

I also suspect he's been the source for some of the locker room speculation (in particular the incident with Deion given how close they are) but who knows for sure on that but Deion and the mystery player.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Actually, Lloyd has had three good games but was inactive for one and has been used solely as a decoy by King Roman. I think we should be starting Lloyd and Johnson along with Boldin. Boldin is our most reliable, Johnson has been the most efficient and gets open far more easily than Crabtree, and Lloyd, when given a chance, has proven that he can get deep and draws the attention of the defense. Plus, he has great hands and drops nothing. Crabtree fails to get open regularly, and has 8 drops and a hangdog attitude. He and VD are currently taking up space along with a lot of salary...

Couldn't agree more. The coaches seem to have a mental block where it concerns their use, or lack thereof, of Lloyd. If given half the chances and targets of Crabtree, he'd be far more productive. Guess Harbaugh refuses to acknowledge that maybe Crabtree DOESN'T have the "best hands" he's ever seen? Even in his 30's, Lloyd has better hands, runs better routes (not me saying this, his teammates) and seems faster, wiith better body control and leaping ability. However, Crabtree was a first round pick and I'm guessing they don't want to admit to another underachiever (notice I didn't say "bust"?) receiver from the first round. It's not that Crabtree is bad, he just hasn't given us the value a first round talent should, for a variety of reasons, which frankly, I don't care about. You expect a certain level of performance and production from a high first rounder and we just haven't gotten that from Crabtree. I'd take Boldin, Johnson and Lloyd before him anyday, and I'm not even sure if he's be number 4, since we haven't seen anough of the other guys to make a comparison.
Share 49ersWebzone