LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Rant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
We don't draft WRs...Baalke acquires epic WR's via FA instead b/c Morton blows and our coaches only trust older vets.

Why would Trent draft a WR very high since JH wouldn't use him anyway?
For an organization that likes long armed big players they draft small guys at receiver, Jenkins, Patton, Ellington. It doesn't matter, they rarely get on the field.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Sure, package draft picks and move up. It is not like the 49ers needed any depth this year

The 2012 draft was a complete bust that's why we didn't trade up he needed the picks to cover a failed draft. If you took Alshon, the next WR taken, over Jenkins it would look have been a substantially better draft.

You could have basically lined the all up and throw a dart and couldn't have missed. If we swapped ones and gave up the second we could have gotten at least one of these guys. I like Hyde but on draft day he was a luxury
pick with Gore Hunter LMJ and Lattimore a RB could have been had in 2015. Especially since he only gets 4 touches a game.

I see some saying it's all on Scheme or Mortin but none of the WR we have drafted in over a decade have stuck. Terrell Owens was last consistently productive WR If it's scheme why did we draft Jenkins? He doesn't fit the scheme nor does he match up with the defenses in the division. Redzone conversion has been a problem for years and not once have we drafted a big target WR or even a slot guy.

It's true you don't need a number one to win a SuperBowl. The Ravens didn't have one and the Seahawks didn't have one but man it would less frustrating watching us down on inside the redzone and just have a tall guy to throw it up to in the corner or a shifty slot guy to take a screen and make a move into the endzone.
Originally posted by teylo31:
What would this team really do with a game breaking WR

Well, when he wasn't running one of Roman's remedial routes, he would blocking downfield in the run game!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by dj43:
Wide receivers are a secondary value in the Harbaugh offense. Harbaugh wants to pound the ball with the run game. The OL was built, ironically by Nolan, to do just that. This OL is not agile and quick enough to be a great pass protecting line.

Nothing wrong with all that if it wins.

Besides Joe, who else did Nolan draft? Philosophically you might say, but even then, im iffy.

"Impose our will on our opponents." Singletary. Nolan was a proponent of the same game, although you are correct, he didn't draft them all.

Chicken/egg at this point. This OL is about running between the tackles. They not only are seemingly not agile enough to pass protect well, they certainly are not going to run many stretch blocking schemes to the outside.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
We don't draft WRs...Baalke acquires epic WR's via FA instead b/c Morton blows and our coaches only trust older vets.

It may be just a cap strategy issue. If you have a complicated run game, you can have a simple passing game? That way you can plug veterans that are experienced in other systems, into your system and its something they could easily pick up.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

It may be just a cap strategy issue. If you have a complicated run game, you can have a simple passing game? That way you can plug veterans that are experienced in other systems, into your system and its something they could easily pick up.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
We're so good at drafting LB's, that's all we should draft and then trade them for proven players at other positions! LMAO

That's actually not a bad idea.

If we didn't have an adversarial relationship with the Giants, we could draft LBs for them and they could draft WRs for us (assuming it's purely personnel, not coaching).

Coughlin was the WR coach for the '90 Giants SB team. He knows WRs.

Didn't Fangio play linebacker in college? If so, maybe that's why he's so good at picking LB's? I don't think it's all Haarbalke, because everywhere Fangio's gone, those teams had great linebackers.
Ugh I wanted Benjamin, but then again I'm a noles fan. The year rookie wrs are balling we don't take one but instead take a safety and play him at nickel on top of that he has a f**ked up foot. Unless its a high 1st baalke kills me with his 1st rd picks, if we get deep in the playoffs or win the sb just trade back. Don't get f**king cute and take a guy no one saw coming (Jenkins and ward)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Ugh I wanted Benjamin, but then again I'm a noles fan. The year rookie wrs are balling we don't take one but instead take a safety and play him at nickel on top of that he has a f**ked up foot. Unless its a high 1st baalke kills me with his 1st rd picks, if we get deep in the playoffs or win the sb just trade back. Don't get f**king cute and take a guy no one saw coming (Jenkins and ward)

Well I agree, and that's also what the Seadderall GM did with their first. I think that was a pretty smart move considering they lost so much in free agency, they just needed bodies to man the vacant positions.

As for WR's, we're a run first team, and I think people are missing the fact that while we are missing out on the WR's, this front office and coaching staff is pretty good at finding RB's. Hunter, Hyde, Winston etc... Even LMJ was decent in filling in for Hunter when Hunter was injured.

As much as I'd like this team to draft a Sammy Watkins or a Mike Evans, this front office will always put an emphasis on defense. In other words, if this front office could draft only one player -- either Ronnie Lott or Jerry Rice, they would go defense and pick Lott. This offense might change into a pass first offense, if Colin continues to improve. When that happens, you might start seeing this front office start drafting WR's in the higher rounds.
Yea, I can understand about the inability to draft a WR. Even in this past draft, I was hoping that we would go after M. Bryant. He has the same speed as Ellington, but is taller and bigger like CJ. And it is those type of WR we need to go up against the corners in our division. With Crabs, that was easy in that he just fell to us as we had a high draft pick that year. And yes, our WR coach sucks, just like our OC. But to be far, it is Harbaugh that keeps them in their respective positions. He can be pretty stubborn, which is why he will not be back next year. Yes folks, lets just start accepting reality now so it is easier to digest later....JH is gone after this year, and from all accounts, that is due to his personality. I do have mixed feelings on it. I mean, on one hand, he got us into the NFC Championship Game 3x and a SuperBowl once. But I could also argue that our OC cost us that game in the end. I am a life-long 49ers fan, always will be. But being realistic tells me that next year, we will have a new HC, new OC, new DC, new WR coach, and Crabs will be gone because he is going to demand top-10 WR money that he simply has not earned. My guess is that we let Crabs go or try to trade him, keep Quan, try to keep Stevie Johnson and maybe Brandon too, but I get the feeling he will walk. We will try to develop Ellington and Patton, and with a new OC and HC, finally be able to draft a WR....however, I think a focus should be on OL, DL, and perhaps DB.

Originally posted by jimrat:
Even undrafted ones, Chris Hogan looks good right now on this Thursday night game for Buffalo

Tyms looking good in NE too
Originally posted by Spiritual1:
Yea, I can understand about the inability to draft a WR. Even in this past draft, I was hoping that we would go after M. Bryant. He has the same speed as Ellington, but is taller and bigger like CJ. And it is those type of WR we need to go up against the corners in our division. With Crabs, that was easy in that he just fell to us as we had a high draft pick that year. And yes, our WR coach sucks, just like our OC. But to be far, it is Harbaugh that keeps them in their respective positions. He can be pretty stubborn, which is why he will not be back next year. Yes folks, lets just start accepting reality now so it is easier to digest later....JH is gone after this year, and from all accounts, that is due to his personality. I do have mixed feelings on it. I mean, on one hand, he got us into the NFC Championship Game 3x and a SuperBowl once. But I could also argue that our OC cost us that game in the end. I am a life-long 49ers fan, always will be. But being realistic tells me that next year, we will have a new HC, new OC, new DC, new WR coach, and Crabs will be gone because he is going to demand top-10 WR money that he simply has not earned. My guess is that we let Crabs go or try to trade him, keep Quan, try to keep Stevie Johnson and maybe Brandon too, but I get the feeling he will walk. We will try to develop Ellington and Patton, and with a new OC and HC, finally be able to draft a WR....however, I think a focus should be on OL, DL, and perhaps DB.

Try to develop? If Patton was any good he'd have been on the field long ago. He was hurt most of 2013 and caught 3 passes. He also showed an inability to block and was thrown around like a rag doll by a DB on two straight plays. He seems to lack the physicality.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Try to develop? If Patton was any good he'd have been on the field long ago. He was hurt most of 2013 and caught 3 passes. He also showed an inability to block and was thrown around like a rag doll by a DB on two straight plays. He seems to lack the physicality.

Patton when healthy made a huge catch for us to with that Arizona game last year. For a team that hardly uses 3 WR sets, let alone 4 WR sets he has Anquan Boldin, Crabtree, Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd ahead of him and Bruce Ellington due to his returner status.

Plenty of receivers don't do much their first few years then break out. Book is far from closed on him.

As for the guy saying Bryant over Ellington...we'll see in time. Bryant has been given the opportunity to make plays, Ellington has not. The one game we actually used him as a receiver was vs Denver and he caught everything thrown his way.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agreed. Although I wouldn't call it "easy" as Stevie Johnson likened learning this offense to learning "Chinese."
You know what should have happened was.

Instead of Drafting Kentwam Balmer in 2008, We should have drafted Desean Jackson like Jerry Rice told us to.

BOOM! problem solved!

NEXT!
Share 49ersWebzone