LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Draft Class Review (2010 - 2014)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Taking a mid-season look back at the last five drafts and what we've gotten out of them. For each one, I'm assigning a grade on their overall contributions to the team on a 1-10 scale. Obviously the more recent draft picks are not set in stone, and there's still room for improvement (or drop-off).

This scale IS relative to where they were drafted, but is NOT relative to other players in the draft (i.e., comparing Aldon Smith to JJ Watt). I'm also not docking guys for injury, big or small.

For me, this was mostly an exercise in properly judging the 2013 Draft Class. The results? Not great. Take a look for yourself:

2010:

(1) Anthony Davis: 7/10

One of the more solid RTs in the league and up until this year very durable. Doesn't always play up to 1st round billing for an OL and gives up cringe-worthy pressure at inopportune moments (see: 2013 NFCCG) but I'm judging on the whole body of work.

(1) Mike Iupati: 8/10

A Pro-Bowl guard with chronic pass protection issues, he's still met or exceeded expectations for being one of the top guards in his class. While I don't think he has a future with the team, that doesn't factor into his contributions to the team.

(2) Taylor Mays: 2/10

Was shuttled off to Cincy for a 7th-round pick after a year. Made a few plays and started for us. Also rid us of Michael Lewis. That deserves at least a 2.

(3) NaVarro Bowman: 10/10

No explanation necessary.

(6) Anthony Dixon: 8/10

Good short-yardage back and great special teams player; never a liability on the field and could be counted on to do what was asked of him, which is all more than you hope to get out of a 6th round pick.

(6) Nate Byham: 4/10

Average blocking TE. Still in the league (Patriots, for those curious).

(6) Kyle Williams: 5/10

Perhaps I'm being too harsh for the 2011 NFCCG. 6th round WR who was on the team until late last year.

(7) Phillip Adams: 5/10

Never made significant contributions to the team but is a low-end NFL starting CB, which shows how great we are at finding them in the draft.

2010 Draft Overall: 8/10

Bowman alone makes this draft one of the better ones, but two OL picks in the 1st round set the foundation for 3 dominant seasons of play.

2011:

(1) Aldon Smith: 9/10

I'm not holding injuries against players but I will hold off-field issues against players. Still, one of the elite players in the league which is what you want for the #7 pick.

(2) Colin Kaepernick: 10/10

I'm giving this a 10 because we got a franchise QB in the 2nd round, which is rare.

(3) Chris Culliver: 7/10

Solid starter, played his worst game in the Super Bowl. Still improving.

(4) Kendall Hunter: 9/10

One of the best back-up RBs in the league and a constant contributor.

(5) Daniel Kilgore: 9/10

Was playing great before the injury. We got a starter in the 5th round and then were able to sign him to an inexpensive extension. That's the 49er way.

(6) Ron Johnson: 1/10

Can't get a rating if you don't see the field.

(6) Colin Jones: 5/10

Played good ST and we re-couped our draft pick.

(7) Bruce Miller: 10/10

No explanation necessary

(7) Mike Person: 2/10

Still in the league, last time I checked.

(7) Curtis Holcomb: 1/10

Not still in the league.

2011 Draft Overall: 10/10

Look at the scores for the individual picks. This is an epic draft class, one of the league's best in the past decade.

2012:

(1) A.J. Jenkins: 1/10

Didn't catch a pass.

(2) LaMichael James: 2/10

I'll give him a bump for the KO return @NE and his NFCCG TD run. The speed of the NFL caught up to him.

(4) Joe Looney: 4/10

Only player still on the team. Decent fill-in starter but many starting guards can be found in the 4th round and he projects low on the depth chart.

(5) Darius Fleming: 1/10

Not holding the injury against him but never contributed to the team.

(6) Trenton Robinson: 1/10

(6) Jason Slowey: 1/10

(7) Cam Johnson: 1/10

2012 Draft Overall: 1/10

Following one of the best classes is one of the worst. Having only a backup guard drafted in the 4th round is a major swing-and-miss.

2013:

(1) Eric Reid: 8/10

Has met expectations of a safety we traded up to get. Pro Bowl caliber and potential future leader of the defense.

(2) Tank Carradine: 2/10

This has the potential to go up, but you can't contribute if you're not on the field.

(2) Vance McDonald: 5/10

Drafted to be a pass-catcher, he's actually one of the better run blockers in the league. Still, you expect more out of a 2nd rounder.

(3) Corey Lemonier: 2/10

Showed a little bit of spark last year but none this year. Can't see how he figures into future plans.

(4) Quinton Patton: 3/10

Has a lot of room to bump this up if/when our WR corps becomes less crowded.

(4) Marcus Lattimore: 1/10

Sorry to give a harsh grade, but never contributed. This is why drafting red-shirt players happens with later picks, because there is a risk and Lattimore's case is that downside.

(5) Quinton Dial: 7/10

Good value for the 5th round as a spot starter, and has the potential to grow into a larger role down the line.

(6) Nick Moody: 4/10

Special teams player and not a standout one at that. Can't see how he makes the field as a defender.

(7) BJ Daniels: 1/10

Exciting preseason player but that's it.

(7) Carter Bykowski: 2/10

He's still on the team so he's obviously showed something. I have high hopes he can be a swing tackle of the future.

(7) Marcus Cooper: 1/10

Great contributor, just not to our team.

2013 Draft Overall: 5/10

It's time to give up the dream that this was a great draft. How many players can we expect to be solid performers in the future? Reid, maybe Dial, and McDonald as a blocking TE. The hopes that this score might improve is if Carradine, Patton, and Bykowski show us anything. Could easily improve in the future, but as of now this was so-so.

2014:

(1) Jimmie Ward: 5/10

Plays a thankless role and has room to grow, but for a 1st round pick expectations are higher.

(2) Carlos Hyde: 8/10

Only getting dinged because the league has proven you can get great RBs in late rounds, but still, he's met expectations so far and has a bright future.

(3) Marcus Martin: 8/10

Getting a starting center in the 3rd round is great value. This grade is based off a very small sample size, but his contributions so far have met or exceeded what he's been asked to do.

(3) Chris Borland: 8/10

This will be a 10/10 if he sustains this level of productivity. Doesn't seem right to give him the same grade as Bowman after just two games, but it's looking like outstanding production out of the 3rd round.

(3) Brandon Thomas: N/A

Injury so can't be rated yet.

(4) Bruce Ellington: 5/10

Has been an average returner and hasn't seen the field much on offense. Potential is there but the contributions so far are average for the 4th round.

(4) Dontae Johnson: 5/10

Again, average production out of the 4th round.

(5) Aaron Lynch: 9/10

Great to see this level of contribution out of a 5th round pick. Right now he's only a pass-rusher but that's all he's been asked to do. Could grow into a 10/10.

(5) Keith Reaser: N/A

(6) Kenneth Acker: N/A

(7) Kaleb Ramsey: N/A

(7) Trey Millard: N/A

2014 Draft Overall: 7/10

I'm giving this a decent score with plenty of room to grow. Sustained production from the linebackers could push this up to an 8. More out of Ward could make this a 9, and even minor contributions from the IR squad could make this a 10.
Overall, well done. I'd change a few grades, but we all would based on our own unique perspectives.

Context is important to note b/c we're drafting near last every year, acquiring more picks than anyone just about every year and have supplemented these drafts classes with epic, cheap FA pick ups and by developing players over time (see, undrafted players).
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
This could develop into a nice thread.
Don't see how you could give Hyde and Marcus Martin a higher grade than Ward, who plays more snaps than both of the two combined at a much more difficult position. He's a safety playing the slot position. That is crazy good.

I also don't see how you could give Marcus Cooper a 1. He's at least a 5/10, even if we cut him. That was our bad.

Also would probably rate Davis above Iupati. He plays a tougher position and has been way more consistent.

I like the rest though.
Why do you grade hunter so highly? Just curious... I think not giving Reid a 9 when he made the probowl as a rookie is highway robbery... The rest is very solid. It is hard to judge some of the receivers just based on how the team has used them over the past few years.
yup, as NC said, overall well done.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Don't see how you could give Hyde and Marcus Martin a higher grade than Ward, who plays more snaps than both of the two combined at a much more difficult position. He's a safety playing the slot position. That is crazy good.

I also don't see how you could give Marcus Cooper a 1. He's at least a 5/10, even if we cut him. That was our bad.

Also would probably rate Davis above Iupati. He plays a tougher position and has been way more consistent.

I like the rest though.

Good points. Also, ST players can not be overstated and s/b evaluated on their actual contributions, no matter what their role is. Many, like McCray could probably be a really good S but he's stuck behind Bethea and Reid and (arg, Dahl) but is THE best gunner we have with Osgood. So you'd almsot need a separate grading system for these guys since it's not fair to treat them like a positon player.
Yup as NC said, nice thread.
Originally posted by DeUh:
This could develop into a nice thread.

This
I agree for the most part with your 2010-12 grades. I still thinks it early for assigning grades to last two draft, unless they are no longer on the team. I still think tank is gonna be a huge contributor from the '13 draft, it as you said it hard to assign a good grade with no time on the field.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]

Originally posted by Niners816:
I agree for the most part with your 2010-12 grades. I still thinks it early for assigning grades to last two draft, unless they are no longer on the team. I still think tank is gonna be a huge contributor from the '13 draft, it as you said it hard to assign a good grade with no time on the field.

Good point. You'd almost want to grade a player if they clearly were brought in to play (like Reid) within his first or second year...some a developmental players...and others will only get to play when someone like Justin Smith retires.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good point. You'd almost want to grade a player if they clearly were brought in to play (like Reid) within his first or second year...some a developmental players...and others will only get to play when someone like Justin Smith retires.

This is a great thread. Seeing '12 on paper almost makes me physically ill. I so badly wanted Fleener with the first pick. If '12 just would have been an average draft we probably have at least one title.
I'd give Ward a higher grade he was a first rounder but it was such a late pick that I don't think you can expect a superstar right off that bat. He's played solid and done well for us, he just hasn't had the splash plays yet. I'd give him a 8/10
2012 class is cringe worthy. Worst draft class in NFL history.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
2012 class is cringe worthy. Worst draft class in NFL history.

Baalke definitely channeled his inner Terry Donahue on that one.
Share 49ersWebzone