There are 281 users in the forums

Alfonso Smith re-signs with the 9ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
This could indicate that Ellington isn't 100% after being carted off the field Sunday.

Not a bad signing, should of kept Glenn Winston over James in the 1st place, but oh well. Smith looked ok in pre-season.

I will say this about Ellington though, even if he was 100% I thought Carlos Hyde looked much better than him on KR. Ever since Ted Ginn left, we are yet to find an answer for KR/PR. We haven't had a KR TD since 2011 now and is long overdue that's for sure.

Ellington is fine at KR. He gets to the same field position that Hyde did. Hyde just looks more impressive because he's big and he knocks people down when he gets tackled. It's an unnecessary risk to a key player to have him out there, though. Whoever is doing the job needs much better blocking. I'm tired of seeing ST guys watching the KR get tackled (paging Craig Dahl).

Ellington appears to struggle reading the field on punt returns, and I feel he will improve in time. LMJ didn't get many yards when he started as PR, iirc.

Anyway, I know Smith did some KR in preseason, but I don't remember him returning punts. I'm hoping Ellington isn't on his way to the IR.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Should have never cut Winston.

hindsight breh. we had hunter and lmj back then.

Kendall Hunter -> Injured July 26, 2014. Waived/injured Aug 4, 2014.

Glenn Winston -> Signed Aug 4, 2014. Cut August 31, 2014.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He is the #3 RB. He'll see action primarily on ST where he is actually a good contributor.

In case of an injury, he can be out there on 3rd downs as he is a reliable blocker and wont get Kaepernick LP'ed.

This.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Whoever is doing the job needs much better blocking. I'm tired of seeing ST guys watching the KR get tackled (paging Craig Dahl).

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The guy who has exactly 0 carries with the Browns? He'll be cut by them in the near future the same way that Gray was. Im starting to feel like Cleveland enjoys hoarding 49ers rejects.

That doesn't necessarily mean he is crap, the Browns just have too many backs. Not until I see him play in a regular season game, I am not just going to go by his 0 carries for the Browns. You can look at the 9ers as an example, ever since Hunter tore his ACL and LMJ being cut, we are yet to play a 3rd back, some teams are like that. I would rather play 3 backs to mix things up a bit like Seattle with Lynch, Turbin and Michael.
Gores replacement on passing downs. Hyde still whiffing on blocks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good. all for this.good special teams can do kickoffs thus keeping hyde out of there. good blocker, good lockerroom and can get a tough yard or two. good job
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Oh goody. The worst running back I have ever seen in a 49er uniform is taking up a roster spot. Yippie.

he did a fine job in pre season for us. calm down
Oh goody. The worst running back I have ever seen in a 49er uniform is taking up a roster spot. Yippie.

You didn't see Lawrence Phillips?

Really???? i thought that was LaMichael James or even Kevan Barlow or even that piece of s#it Brandon Jacobs. He did ok in pre season not Glenn Winston good but not James horrible either. hey we need insurance in a instant u can go from having 2 healthy back to just 1 or none.
Originally posted by E-49er:
You didn't see Lawrence Phillips?

Or Jewel "Vision of Stevie Wonder" Hampton.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
oj adam walker amp lee loville
Nothing wrong with picking him back up. We need a 3rd RB on the roster. Hyde looks great in the return game but I'm really nervous running him out there with us so thin at RB.
should have never cut michael robinson.
The other thing about Smith and a big reason why the Cards kept bringing him back...he's a pretty nifty receiver out of the backfield too.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
This could indicate that Ellington isn't 100% after being carted off the field Sunday.

Not a bad signing, should of kept Glenn Winston over James in the 1st place, but oh well. Smith looked ok in pre-season.

Oh man, did you boys had to bring up Glenn Winston ? LOL. I deliberately didn't mention him cos I am still pissed that Baalke cut him. Now, I am feeling the pain again. Of course, if I had the choice between Winston and Smith, I would pick Winston any day without an ounce of doubt !! Sigh...

Originally posted by xcfan:
Oh man, did you boys had to bring up Glenn Winston ? LOL. I deliberately didn't mention him cos I am still pissed that Baalke cut him. Now, I am feeling the pain again. Of course, if I had the choice between Winston and Smith, I would pick Winston any day without an ounce of doubt !! Sigh...

you and me think exactly alike on this matter...exactly.

Guys, let's enjoy the footage of the guy we all miss one more time.

Share 49ersWebzone