LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 163 users in the forums

Shootin' Ourselves in the Foot: Week 10

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Buck, on top of that, I counted 5 by anquan, and 10 or 11 overall. Don't know how they call a ball a drop but there were way more than 7. Maybe if a ball is wide, that isn't a drop? or too high? Curious how they decide that. Kind of like an error in baseball...they wait to decide whose fault it was.
Originally posted by CMIO:
I will say this. Kaepernick needs to stop holding on to the ball ALL the time thinking he can extend the play. Yes, I don't want him to be a p***y like Wilson where he looks to run and when he can't throws the ball into the stands...but with that said, Kaep needs to go through his progressions, find a running lane, and if both are not available just throw it away.

I would have to guess that the majority of sack plays on Kaep have been drive killing. Not only does he get sacked, but all that shifting he does gets us HUGE losses that are hard to recover from.

I agree totally but you really need to watch each sack he takes individually. Whether it's 2nd and 10.6 yards to go or 2nd and 15 it's sometimes best to try and extend the play as long as possible esp. given our ad lib plays are our most successful by far! Take a sack or two a game. Big deal!
Dbl...again
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I will say this. Kaepernick needs to stop holding on to the ball ALL the time thinking he can extend the play. Yes, I don't want him to be a p***y like Wilson where he looks to run and when he can't throws the ball into the stands...but with that said, Kaep needs to go through his progressions, find a running lane, and if both are not available just throw it away.

I would have to guess that the majority of sack plays on Kaep have been drive killing. Not only does he get sacked, but all that shifting he does gets us HUGE losses that are hard to recover from.

I agree totally to an extent but you really need to watch each sack he takes individually. Whether it's 2nd and 10.6 yards to go or 2nd and 15 it's sometimes best to try and extend the play as long as possible esp. given our ad lib plays are our most successful by far! Take a sack or two a game. Big deal!

It's a valid point. I could see the coaching staff encouraging this because the upside on ad lib plays is so huge. Interesting food for thought.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Buck, on top of that, I counted 5 by anquan, and 10 or 11 overall. Don't know how they call a ball a drop but there were way more than 7. Maybe if a ball is wide, that isn't a drop? or too high? Curious how they decide that. Kind of like an error in baseball...they wait to decide whose fault it was.

I am using the PFF numbers.

I trust their eyesight more than I trust mine.

Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree totally to an extent but you really need to watch each sack he takes individually. Whether it's 2nd and 10.6 yards to go or 2nd and 15 it's sometimes best to try and extend the play as long as possible esp. given our ad lib plays are our most successful by far! Take a sack or two a game. Big deal!

It's a valid point. I could see the coaching staff encouraging this because the upside on ad lib plays is so huge. Interesting food for thought.

There was audio last year of a coach reminding CK that if the first read wasn't there to use his legs. So in line with this philosophy, doesn't this make sense as well? Not that I agree but I try to think like the coaches as closely as I can with the limited info I have.
Most teams have a hot receiver or an outlet receiver to go to if there is a blitz. We seem to always be caught dead in the water. Blitzes kill us.

Our defense played great but how can you let Brees get away with a TD when we had 2 blitzers who had a shot at him before he could throw? Why didn't we have double coverage on their primary target TE inside the ten yard line when you know they are going to him every time he is one on one?
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Most teams have a hot receiver or an outlet receiver to go to if there is a blitz. We seem to always be caught dead in the water. Blitzes kill us.

Our defense played great but how can you let Brees get away with a TD when we had 2 blitzers who had a shot at him before he could throw? Why didn't we have double coverage on their primary target TE inside the ten yard line when you know they are going to him every time he is one on one?

To be fair, that was one of the most ridiculous slippery move ever! Props to him...
It was a great move but you have to come in under control or you will be sidestepped almost every time. We had 2 players come in out of control. Neither had to because of the blocking. Huge mistake and it cost us a TD. It;s one thing if you need all of your speed to come around the edge while being blocked but they came free and you need to be under control.
^^^ Yeah Brooks probably was saying to them, "Tackle LOW. Did you not learn from me last year?"

The good news is the penalties are going down. The bad news is the sacks and drops are going up. Also, the lack of turnovers (minus Kap) are really impressive for the offense. 1 fumble for the group is pretty dang good.

And yeah we have had a problem tackling the QB on free shots for years now. Aldon is good at it the rest are pretty easily side stepped and don't break down. DB's, DL, LB's...
Share 49ersWebzone