LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Week 10 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice to write one of these after a win. It's been awhile.

1) Kap: Peeps are always going to think I take it too easy on Kap, but to me...again...more of the same. I didn't see the WTF play he's good for at least once a game...unless you can call the fumble that but he was trying to put the ball away. He probably should have just thrown the ball away there so perhaps that would be the one WTF play.

He's also always good for a superhuman "how is that even possible" play. 4 and 10? Check. Superhuman. I know peeps are going to look at his below 50% comp % in this game, but that just brings up another topic...

2) Drops: WTF. Drops at the worst possible time has been an issue all year. Crabtree has usually been the culprit and even dropped one on that third down. This game tho....WOW. Boldin. What's up with that? To be fair, its very uncharacteristic of him so I don't see it as a trend...but that was rough yesterday. When I went through the game again last night, I counted EIGHT drops and another that would have been a tough catch by Boldin on Kaps final throw. That crazy. FOUR of those balls were third down passes to Boldin and another was the possible long TD.

As I said tho...I think this is an outlier. I don't expect Boldin to drop the ball 5 or 6 times a game.

3) Chris Borland: Woah. Forgive what might sound like heresy...but he may just be the Niners new ILB a few years from now. Pats still fantastic, but he's getting a bit older and keeps getting hurt. He's got several years left playing at a high level...but if Borland keeps playing like this, there is no way they could let him walk when he eventually becomes a free agent. I know this is WAY, WAY early and he's under contract for several more years...but Chris Borland is a baller. Some guys you can simply see as playmakers very early in their careers. He's one of those guys. He has no long speed, but when he's playing in a box he is LIGHTNING quick. So fast in small spaces...and he arrives with an attitude. Most importantly though, he's an instinctual player. Whatever "it" is, he's got "it".

If Willis comes back anytime soon, I think Borland takes Wilhoite's spot. He is playing way, way too well right now to take him off the field.

4) Aaron Lynch: MAN I can't wait to see Lynch on one side and Aldon on the other on 3rd down.

5) Gore/Hyde: There is still a place for Frank, but I want Hyde to get the ball more. Those outside runs by him are deadly. His legs are fresh. It just feels like everytime he gets the ball something good might happen. I love Frank. He's probably my favorite 49er of all time. He's not finished. He's still got something left...but I think we need a more even distribution of carries. Hyde did flat miss his assignment that got Kap sacked, but he's largely been pretty good in pass protection for a rookie.

Barring a draft pick or a surprise Gore resigning, Hunter and Hyde are most likely the future of the 49ers at RB. (Hunter and Hyde...I like the sound of that..lol). Hyde just has so much more juice in his legs than Frank does. Oh by the way, if Hyde gets more carries...Frank will have much fresher legs later in the year.

The Niners did something yesterday that they absolutely needed to do. They dedicated themselves to running the ball again. Everytime they get themselves in trouble, they always rededicate themselves to the run. They need to continue that trend...but it can't be 20 carries for Frank and 5 for Hyde. Frank will be toast by the end of the year. Bottom Line for me...MORE CARLOS HYDE.

6) Bethea/Reid: Jeez...I really wasn't sure about Bethea when he was signed, but he's been a HUGE addition. He will never be the enforcer that Whitner was. What he is though is SOOOO much better in coverage.

What's interesting to me and perhaps one of you guys breaking down film can confirm this or tell me I'm flat wrong as its impossible to see on a standard TV broadcast, but I get the sense that while Reid isn't making a ton of plays on camera, he is influencing the game through coverage. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. Why? The 49ers own the 5th ranked pass defense in the NFL right now and they are doing it without a consistent pass rush. Reid did make a mistake in coverage on the Cooks TD, but you are never going to be perfect. I also wonder if Ward might have been able to defense that play had he not fallen down.

7) Dawson: It's really nice to have a nails kicker. Last kick made me nervous, but he makes those pressure kicks when we need them most. Hats off to you Phil.

8) Brooks: Karma is real.

9) Offense Philosophy: Yesterday was a great game (at least it was after we won), but it's clear our offensive problems are still there...particularly in the second half. Whatever the reason...it just seems it requires Kap doing something superhuman to win a game (Kap to Crab, Kap to Gore vs Eagles, Kap to Boldin vs Rams). It's fantastic that he has that capability, but it would be nice if for once he didn't need to. We all have different reasons WHY that is. Kap progressing as a pocket passer, O-Line not protecting, WRs not catching the ball, O-Line not opening lanes for RBs, RBs not running all that well....Its not ONE of any of those. Its a little bit of all of them. They simply aren't in sync and are kinda disjointed.

Is that Roman? Maybe that's a part of it...but to me its really all about playing together as a team. Let hope they get it together down the stretch here. Any of us SF Giants fans know that all you have to do is get yourself in the tournament at the end.

10) NFC West: Palmer? Ouch. My fear there is that they end up losing just enough games to lose the division to Seattle. Truth is though...it doesn't really matter. Niners can only look at the team in front of them and hope for the best.

PS: Did anyone else see Vernon yelling at Lloyd after his only catch? Looks like he said "get the F off the field". Wonder what that was about.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
I think drops have increased in frequency this year because Kaepernick always licks his hand before taking a snap. That makes the ball slippery.

This is Sportscience. Thanks for watching.
I mentioned Vernon yelling at Lloyd in the Gameday thread too.

Another thing to point out, idk why the hell we left Jimmy Graham in single coverage on both of those TDs in the redzone

Great analysis as always Marv!
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
I think drops have increased in frequency this year because Kaepernick always licks his hand before taking a snap. That makes the ball slippery.

This is Sportscience. Thanks for watching.

His parotid glands is probably out working his sublingual/submandibular glands and getting a wetter saliva than a sticky mucous secretion.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NOOOOBODY !!!!!
Yeah, boldin catches that bomb and we score and saints don't come close to going ahead...

I think that play by kap was something I could see pulling this thing together. If that play doesn't happen, our season is over...especially with Arizona and seattle both winning.

That play gave every single person watching hope. And I think it united everyone on that sideline. Call me crazy, but if we don't come out and take care of business the be next few weeks and get to the playoffs I'll be very very surprised...

I actually thought we would lose this game and dial it in as a lost season...glad I was wrong.
  • thl408
Excellent summary, Marvin. I know NO isn't the same team this season, but any win in that dome is a great win. This is the type of win that reassures all the players that what they are doing can work and that they should continue to grind away and evolve into the SB contender we expected them to be. Kap had a very good game and the boxscore will not show it because of the drops by the WRs.

Iupati and Staley were ballin as they opened up nice holes for the run game. Kap showed nice touch on a few back shoulder throws. Props to Miller and Vance as well for their run blocking.

Dawson made two clutch kicks. The one that sent the game into overtime was even more pressure packed imo than the OT winner.

There were a few times Brees held on to the ball longer than he wanted to. You can bet a few of those times it was due to the safety(s) being in proper position. Bethea may not have the athleticism of the top safeties in the league, but he reads and anticipates plays (run plays and routes) so well it's uncanny. To do this as a first time player in the NFC is amazing. Such a smart player.

I thought Fangio did an excellent job dialing up blitzes that were able to get home. That TD where Brees did a 360 to evade Reid was RWilson-like. They showed Fangio in the booth and he had a look of shock and disgust. The 49er run defense took a hit to their ego, and I'm not sure all of it had to do with losing Ian. Although that didn't help. Hopefully Dorsey can come back and provide help there. Ingram runs hard though and has been for a few weeks now so it's not like NO suddenly came with a rushing attack out of nowhere.
Davis and Crabtree have been complete non-factors this year. And I agree that Boldin's game was an aberration. I'm more concerned with Davis and Crabtree, there may be some dissent brewing there, and to be honest, it's not like we've used them. I'd be shocked if Crabs was back next year, and Davis is hardly playing up to the pay level he held out for...
Great read as always, thanks Marvin!
Originally posted by thl408:
Excellent summary, Marvin. I know NO isn't the same team this season, but any win in that dome is a great win. This is the type of win that reassures all the players that what they are doing can work and that they should continue to grind away and evolve into the SB contender we expected them to be. Kap had a very good game and the boxscore will not show it because of the drops by the WRs.

Iupati and Staley were ballin as they opened up nice holes for the run game. Kap showed nice touch on a few back shoulder throws. Props to Miller and Vance as well for their run blocking.

Dawson made two clutch kicks. The one that sent the game into overtime was even more pressure packed imo than the OT winner.

There were a few times Brees held on to the ball longer than he wanted to. You can bet a few of those times it was due to the safety(s) being in proper position. Bethea may not have the athleticism of the top safeties in the league, but he reads and anticipates plays (run plays and routes) so well it's uncanny. To do this as a first time player in the NFC is amazing. Such a smart player.

I thought Fangio did an excellent job dialing up blitzes that were able to get home. That TD where Brees did a 360 to evade Reid was RWilson-like. They showed Fangio in the booth and he had a look of shock and disgust. The 49er run defense took a hit to their ego, and I'm not sure all of it had to do with losing Ian. Although that didn't help. Hopefully Dorsey can come back and provide help there. Ingram runs hard though and has been for a few weeks now so it's not like NO suddenly came with a rushing attack out of nowhere.

That play was crazy. 9 times out of 10 they kick the FG there and there's no drama at the end of the game. I'm still miffed as to how he did that.

A little easy on Kaep. He had all day in the pocket on one play but wouldn't throw the ball. Didn't throw it way towards a receiver. Took some steps back further to take a sack for more negative yards. It's an easy decision for most NFL qb when he has that type of time in the pocket. That one killed a drive.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Another thing to point out, idk why the hell we left Jimmy Graham in single coverage on both of those TDs in the redzone

It's 2nd & 12 and VD just made an 8 yard catch over the middle of the field.
This must go back to past conversations. No idea what's going on here but VD is not happy with Lloyd.
  • dj43
This game was a struggle between two very talented, yet under-achieving teams. It had some highs and lows. More lows than highs as both teams made some dumb plays.

Getting the run game going again was critical, however, NO doesn't seem to defend the run all that well anyway. Still, it was nice to see.

I liked the game Martin played. He appeared more decisive in his blocking. I am not in position to comment on his blocking calls but the fact we ran the ball well and didn't have the jail break pass rushes suggests his call were pretty good overall.

In general, this offense remains a work in progress. The second half failure was another example of not making good half time (or any time) adjustments. I know the drops hurt but we just did not seem to have any direction at all in the second half.

Borland is just huge. He is a football player! He not only is softening the blow of losing Willis, he is going to make it very tough to pull him off the field until Bowman comes back fully healthy. I don't care who you are replacing, when you are making as many tackles as he is making, you are going to stay on the field.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

It's 2nd & 12 and VD just made an 8 yard catch over the middle of the field.
This must go back to past conversations. No idea what's going on here but VD is not happy with Lloyd.

Maybe Davis could consider not sucking before he starts yelling at other players. He's been horrible lately.
Not bad at all Marv!

But yeah you are, and have always been soft on Kaep, but we still love ya:)
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone