LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Status of the return game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Was just pondering this. if bruce ellington is out for some time with a injury, i have no issue having hyde do kickoffs and cox return punts. However should i be concerned that since both are SO valuable to us in other areas they risk getting hurt on special teams? am i worrying about nothing, is it legit or something we need to set on until we find out about bruce...... now the other thing i think cox and hyde looked better than bruce returning kicks and punts. any thoughts?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Was just pondering this. if bruce ellington is out for some time with a injury, i have no issue having hyde do kickoffs and cox return punts. However should i be concerned that since both are SO valuable to us in other areas they risk getting hurt on special teams? am i worrying about nothing, is it legit or something we need to set on until we find out about bruce...... now the other thing i think cox and hyde looked better than bruce returning kicks and punts. any thoughts?

I thought Hyde looked good returning kickoffs; however, I don't really want him back there as the team is so thin at RB and he's really been looking good at RB as a supplement to Gore. Today, I thought Hyde was going to have a concussion on that one return. For punt returns, Cox looks solid and could handle it for the time being.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by cciowa:

I thought Hyde looked good returning kickoffs; however, I don't really want him back there as the team is so thin at RB and he's really been looking good at RB as a supplement to Gore. Today, I thought Hyde was going to have a concussion on that one return. For punt returns, Cox looks solid and could handle it for the time being.
yes i tend to agree,,, having cox back there scares me since he is our best corner. but if those things are our only options,, if bruce is out for a while . cox has always been mr reliable on punt returns but man, he is so important to us at corner
Who can we cut to sign a returner off somebody's PS? If Ellington is out for a while. Can't afford to expose Hyde.
Originally posted by English:
Who can we cut to sign a returner off somebody's PS? If Ellington is out for a while. Can't afford to expose Hyde.

time to get LMJ on the phone.......

totally joking.....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

ok we sort of need a third running back,, is there a running back out there who could double as a return man,,,,,,,,, please do not say james.. f**k why did i say that because i know exactly what response i will get
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:

time to get LMJ on the phone.......

totally joking.....

god i knew it i keep going back to alfonso smith.. i know he played special teams , but not sure if that meant a kick returner??
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
We can cut one of the ST players and give Alfonso Smith a call who is an excellent ST player as well.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
We can cut one of the ST players and give Alfonso Smith a call who is an excellent ST player as well.
good ,, do it. actually the way bruce has done in the return game ,, may not be a bad idea. i guess i just need to have more patience with bruce and maybe he will be ok in the end

• DeUh
  • Veteran
L.J. McCray was an excellent kick returner in college !
I'm thinking Quinton Patton will be activated, cox And Hyde are too important to a thin defense and RB stable that yeah use the young wide out, he's fast enough and shifty should be good fit, also may help his confidence and possibly could see some gadget reverses with him implemented if he performs well.
  • CMIO
hyde and cox were fine. keep it as is...
No need for Cox back there. Remember when Nate broke his shoulder blade.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM ]
how bad is ellington hurt?
Share 49ersWebzone