LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

The 4th and 10 Pass to Crabtree might have....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ayetee:
A REAL NFL QB would have put the ball another yard down field so Crabtree wouldn't have to break stride and kept on running into the end zone to win the game. Trade Kaep.

Your sense of distance is wildly distorted. The throw was nearly 70 yards in the air. 71 yards would not have allowed Crabs to run under it. It would have required something like an 85 yard throw to have Crabtree run under it. That would not only be epic to attempt on fourth down, but reckless. It is not easy to throw a football 85 yards in the air, it is crazy difficult to do it when on fourth down and the game is on the line.

The throw saved our SEASON, and people dare complain about how it needed to be in stride? What if Crabs drops the ball because he had to catch the ball sprinting in stride? Catching a ball in stride is a more difficult catch. It was FOURTH DOWN. We needed a first down to save our season, and you're complaining about style points, because Kap didn't throw the ball like an 8 bit cartoon John Elway in Tecmo Bowl?

I think video games have distorted people's sense of reality.
I think you bit on sarcasm. Also explain how you look at a 58 1/4 yard pass and see a 70 yarder.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Dude it was 51 yards across his body...... it was as well thrown as a professional QB in the NFL can throw in that situation!

It wasnt across his body. He planted his feet and squared up before the throw
from the his own 16 yard line to the opposite 29 yard line in the air.
give the man some credit.
  • thl408
Meh. In that case he coulda led Crabs some more. I've seen him throw farther. But what if he overthrew Crabs? Then the 49ers suck again. I had my tab paid, belongings in hand. Then, one more beer please. What a play.

They showed the all22 on the broadcast. Cover2 zone and Kap had Lloyd going down the right sideline. That could have been the route to target because Lloyd was in the hole of that coverage. This play was made possible by the deep safety on Crabs' side of the field coming up to play VD, who was in the middle of the field about 20 yards from the LoS, leaving Crabs all by his lonesome.
A REAL NFL QB would have put the ball another yard down field so Crabtree wouldn't have to break stride and kept on running into the end zone to win the game. Trade Kaep.

Your sense of distance is wildly distorted. The throw was nearly 70 yards in the air. 71 yards would not have allowed Crabs to run under it. It would have required something like an 85 yard throw to have Crabtree run under it. That would not only be epic to attempt on fourth down, but reckless. It is not easy to throw a football 85 yards in the air, it is crazy difficult to do it when on fourth down and the game is on the line.

The throw saved our SEASON, and people dare complain about how it needed to be in stride? What if Crabs drops the ball because he had to catch the ball sprinting in stride? Catching a ball in stride is a more difficult catch. It was FOURTH DOWN. We needed a first down to save our season, and you're complaining about style points, because Kap didn't throw the ball like an 8 bit cartoon John Elway in Tecmo Bowl?

The point I was trying to make was that no matter how good a play Kaep makes, a sizable portion of posters here would find flaw with it. No matter how difficult a pass was executed by Kaep, this sizable portion of posters will dismiss it off hand. It makes me sick that these posters wait for us to lose so that they can pounce on Kaep and try their earnest to find flaws in our winning effort. If you find my post stupid, it is because I was disturbed and posted it out of frustration.

When he was sacked eight times in a game, it was Kaep's fault, the O-line had nothing to do with it. When they dropped eight catches, it was Kaep's fault, the WRs had nothing to do with it. I just figure, at this rate, we might as well just trade him.
I calculated 61 yards in the air, accounting for the fact that he threw halfway across field. Recall that it's not simply distance downfield + across; it's the hypotenuse of the right triange with sides measuring 55yds and 26yds.
[ Edited by CardinalGold on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM ]
Lol, complaining about a 58 yard ad-lib throw on 4th down not being in stride....smh

Hopefully this play is tantamount to the Flacco/Rice 4th and 28 game saving conversion that catapulted the Ravens SB run that season.

The similarities are stunning between both these squads although the Ravens ditched their OC already by this time....
[ Edited by awp8912 on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:

I think you bit on sarcasm. Also explain how you look at a 58 1/4 yard pass and see a 70 yarder.

Pythagorean theorem, brah.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
  • thl408
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
I calculated 61 yards in the air, accounting for the fact that he threw halfway across field. Recall that it's not simply distance downfield + across; it's the hypotenuse of the right triange with sides measuring 55yds and 26yds.

It's your 26 yard measurement that is difficult to gauge. I would also describe it as 'halfway across the field', but that's an approximation given the camera view.
Originally posted by awp8912:
Lol, complaining about a 58 yard ad-lib throw on 4th down not being in stride....smh

Hopefully this play is tantamount to the Flacco/Rice 4th and 28 game saving conversion that catapulted the Ravens SB run that season.

The similarities are stunning between both these squads although the Ravens ditched their OC already by this time....

I feel the same. This is how you know some posters on here will never be satisfied.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Does anyone else notice that Marcus Martin should have been flagged for illegal man downfield? He was two yards past the line of scrimmage.

It is 57 yards from the SF 16 to the NO 27. Looks like about 12 yards across, simple High School trig says the pass traveled 58.25 yards. Nice throw but saying few NFL QBs could make that throw is BS. Could not find the results on the net but the NFL used to have a QB competition that included distance throwing. There were plenty of guys in the 70's. I remember being shocked that Steve Young never got out of the low 60's which put him in the bottom of the group that year.

An NFL field is 53 1/2 yards across. It looks like the ball traveled half of that because the ball would have landed about 3 yards from the center of the field and Kap was standing 5 yards from the sideline. So half of 50 1/2 yards is 25 1/4 yards - 2 = 23 1/4 yards. 50 + 23 1/4 = 73 1/4 yards. That is a LONG throw for someone in shorts and a T-shirt with no pressure on them screwing around in a throwing contest.

But that was a FOURTH DOWN, with all the pressure on earth, with a pass rush in the face. NOT MANY quarterbacks would attempt that throw, and fewer would complete it.

In this thread sarcasm is almost impossible to spot.

Also, the throw was about 73 yards, not 70. You have to consider the 53 1/3 yard length of the football field, and then look where the ball would have landed and where Kap through it from.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM ]
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Does anyone else notice that Marcus Martin should have been flagged for illegal man downfield? He was two yards past the line of scrimmage.

Can you imagine the reaction on here if that had been called and we had lost?
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:

Can you imagine the reaction on here if that had been called and we had lost?

I can't help but wonder if some posters here are upset that Martin was not called which would negate Kaep's 4th and 10 pass.
In this thread sarcasm is almost impossible to spot.

Also, the throw was about 73 yards, not 70. You have to consider the 53 1/3 yard length of the football field, and then look where the ball would have landed and where Kap through it from.

You're not squaring any of the yardage though. When you solve for the hyp. the throw ends up being ~54-58 yards through the air.
Share 49ersWebzone