LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Playcalling and executing is an issue, but here is a bigger issue

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I posted this in anothe thread, but I feel it deserved its own one for now.

For all of you saying don't blame the refs.......get real! Sorry about the reality of the situation, but the fact remains the refs cost us the game. Yes poor play and play calling and execution cost us the game as well, however, what do you really expect the niners to be so much better that games should be well in hand so these ref calls don't help cost us the game????? The niners can only control what the team does, and just like boldin said, it's like we are playing against the other team AND THE REFS. with the state of our OL and injuries to all pro players and solid players coming back from injury, we can execute like before.

So.......dont blame the refs??????? Tell that to teams that lose close games based on a call. For the niners this has happened 3 times, other teams maybe 1 time at most this year. Not excuses, but reality. Since the niners are not as dominant as last year, we need the refs to get the calls right bc a call or two gone wrong can decide games with most teams this year bc there is not a dominating team in the nfl right now, so more close games bc teams simply aren't dominating with execution on their own.

Hell, the called back td by gore on boldins laughable holding penalty cost us that one (and yes I know ward and kap played a bad game but that doesn't change the fact that it cost us the game)

The 2 roughing the passer penalties in a row definitely cost us the Arizona game (gave them a td when they would of punted. Yes I realize so did the boldin head butt, but in games where injuries to all our players, especially game changers like smith and VD who own the cards, would of won without the key injuries, we need the refs to make the right call)

That's 3 games so far this year that are wins solely based on making the right ref call. That's 7-1 and an easy division win in my opinion with losses to saints and hawks and one other for a 12-4 record and possibly a bye week and with our players back, SB appearance at the least.

Yes I realize the niners had their own hand in our record but that doesn't change the fact that the refs directly cost us games. This needs to stop. It's too much for almost any team to overcome bc the reality is there is a lot of parity in the league so a bad call will cost a team a win

Again, not saying the play calling, execution, coaching and injuries didn't have a hand in our record. What I am saying is despite the average play at times of our team we still should be 7-1.
[ Edited by elguapo on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM ]
The refs are why we lose?......
Read the post again.....sorry to break it to you but bad calls do change game outcomes
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Pathetic post, give me a break. I wonder where they hold these secret meetings when the refs decide what teams they are going to conspire against each year? Do they go rank their favorite teams 1-32 so they know who to try to help win in every game? Supposedly a lot of people in here claimed the league and refs wanted the Seahawks to win last year, oddly enough the Hawks were the worst in the league in for and against penalty ratio. The mods have insisted on a single Alex Smith, Harbaugh and Kaepernick thread. How come they don't merge all the stupid the refs are screwing us threads, sometimes 2-3 of them pop up in a single day.
More like a Pathetic response. I never said there is a ref conspiracy. I REPEAT, never said any conspiracy so don't put words in my mouth. Please ACTUALLY READ the post before making a horribly inaccurate comment like that. The reality is, refs do cost teams games, especially in close games, regardless of the fact how the players and coaches perform. Geez, denial can be an ugly thing
Funny bc if there was a horrible call go against the cardinals where the refs take away or give the other team a td, they lose the
San Diego game
Philly game
Niner game (we were in position to kick a fg a the end)
Possibly the skins game........so, right on. It wouldn't of been on the refs, it would of been the cardinals fault for not playing better.....yup, makes perfect sense!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
More like a Pathetic response. I never said there is a ref conspiracy. I REPEAT, never said any conspiracy so don't put words in my mouth. Please ACTUALLY READ the post before making a horribly inaccurate comment like that. The reality is, refs do cost teams games, especially in close games, regardless of the fact how the players and coaches perform. Geez, denial can be an ugly thing
If what you claim is true there would have to be a conspiracy, because you are claiming bad calls repeatedly cost the 49ers games. If they were just randomly placed bad calls due to human error they would balance out helping or hurting both teams equally therefore rarely dictating the outcome. I did read all your mess, I can't believe you thought that garbage was worthy of posting word for word in two different places. Not putting words in your mouth, just simply reading between the lines and stating what you are obviously implying. What I noticed is those who repeatedly cry about the officiating have a very biased view of what they see. I have seen too many stills and gifs in here where people scream that a Seahawk defender was holding and didn't get flagged. If a 49er defender does almost the exact same thing and draws a flag they scream that it wasn't holding.
Again, your shortsightedness is miraculous to say the least. You said I was impling a conspiracy which is absolutely ridiculous. You just post garbage and expect it to be taken as fact when in the real world, you are the one impling this crap not fans who you claim are biased. Utterly illogical and elementary.
You do realize not everything has to BALANCE OUT???? One season of bad calls could be slanted towards one team over another. Did you understand that statement???? I will repeat it bc of your prior posts, you may not understand such easy words to grasp. One team can experience a lot more bad calls that decide games OUTSIDE of the field of play like myself, many fans and even players like BOLDIN say.
I hope this wasn't too hard for you to comprehend and admit you are wrong.

Not impling a conspiracy at all, not every team in the nfl is affected the same way as another team, just like the niners has been severely served up 3 game deciding calls in only 8 games. No other team has, that's reality not conspiracy. Just bad officiating when the niners are playing plain and simple
[ Edited by elguapo on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM ]
Yup, so much for admission of referee mistakes. Merge this in the other thread or lock it up. As joe Pesci would say "done with this witness"

Yes, there are bad calls but the reason folks generally don't talk about/ blame for loss is because it doesn't matter and, as Bob said, they tend to even out over a season.

The one thing I will say about selective bad calls is that a coach who acts like a two year old every time a call goes against him will not get the benefit of the doubt very often. I can see the refs just tuning Harbaugh out after a while because he complains too often. On the other hand, you can see some coaches joking with the refs and gaining some respect from them that may help get them a break in a 50/50 situation.

So, I will see and complain about a bad call, but I won't blame the refs for a loss. The Denver game was a total blow out and the Rams game should have been an easy win. Both are in the category that if the refs influenced the game it was minor compared to the bad coaching and playing.
here is the thing with blaming refs. almost no fan i have met acknowledges when the refs help them out in victories. its like a win is a win and we earned it, and a loss is a loss cus of the refs. its just complete homer logic.
I hear what people are saying about bad calls tending to even out over the course of the season. While logically appealing (law of averages and whatnot), I think it is mathematically untrue.

Assuming that officiating is fair (no conspiracy, etc.), a 50/50 bad call is a random event. Compare it to tossing a fair coin. If I flip a coin 10 times, what is the probability that I will see "heads" on the nth flip? The probability is .5. It's also .5 for the n+1th flip. And the n+ith flip. Every flip of a fair coin has a 50/50 chance of being heads. The point is that the coin has no memory of the last flip and no knowledge of the next flip; it is random. If officiating is truly fair (such that it is analogous to a 50/50 random event), then there is nothing requiring it to even out over any given time span. Any one call over the course of the given time span can be good or bad, and each call is independent of the adjacent calls. The law of averages is not actually a law of mathematics.

That said, I don't think officiating is perfectly analogous to a 50/50 random event. Officiating is not fair, and outside factors do play a role. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy against SF, but I think certain things tip the balance (Harbaugh's jawing, Boldin's head-butting, McDonald's alleged wife-beating, etc.).
I have to agree. with replay and the technology available some of these these calls are inexcusable.
Last 2 posts are very very true, it's just too bad some people aren't that intelligent to make such reasonable and logical conclusions
[ Edited by elguapo on Nov 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone