LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

The loss of identity is why the 49ers lose.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the thing i think needs to be considered is that a low scoring, ball control run game works when you have the defense we've fielded over the past several years. in addition, special teams play, especially in '11, was solid with ginn & akers. even with a game manager qb in alex, we were a kyle williams play short of going to sb. while it's obvious staff has been trying to establish the pass game with an upgraded wr corp, this crippled defense has not been able keep the game in hand much less score off turnovers.

the key is aldon. fangio relies on rushing front 4 leaving everyone else in zone. prefers not to use a db to blitz. without #99 they're clearly not as effective getting to qb. don't even need sacks..just pressure. enough hits/hurries his accuracy goes down helping get better play. backups at inside backers are holding it down for the most but give a jay cutler or even stanton all day to throw and he looks like an all-star. imho, get aldon back in there to shore up the d that we're used to and coaching would be a lot more comfortable going back to ground game..
Greg Roman wouldn't know what to do with a Lamborghini, he would not dare shift past 3rd gear. They abandoned the run and aren't efficient enough in the pass game. They are not consistent at doing anything well anymore. Jim Harbaugh hasn't been able to right the ship so far. Just awful!
The 49ers are a power run Playaction team on offensive that controls tempo. The problem is the offensive line forgot the season has started and has been JUNK all year. I blame Kap 25% but I blame the OLINE 75% because they are getting whooped upfront. Dare I say that Jonathan Martin has been the Best Olineman this year. Until the attitude and performance improves on the Oline, which can happen, I see that's why the offense sucks A$$.
What identity?
Loss of identity? Not sure about that. The reason for the decline is evident. Our offensive line has been putrid this year. Anthony Davis has been injured and missed all of preseason/first few games. He's rusty. Boone held out and missed preseason. He's rusty. Martin is a rookie who just played his first game. Enough said. Iupati is struggling to get back into form after breaking his leg last year. Staley? God knows what has happened to the anchor on our offensive line. Maybe he's game is finally declining or his injured but he's been horrible.

Our OL has been comically bad this year. When we can't pound the ball and dominate the line of scrimmage then we are forced into passing the ball which forces us to pass the ball. Harbaugh/Roman designed offenses will struggle without a dominant offensive line.

Certain QBs (Russell Wilson comes to mind) can get away with a less than stellar offensive line because he can create and avoid the rush. CK doesn't have that elusiveness and needs time to complete passes in sweet zone (intermediate areas).

So it's all a bit messed up right now.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Nov 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
The problem is we have all these weapons on offense with Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, and Davis and we want to use them. We can't use them however because the offensive line sucks ass at pass blocking and Kap is not the type of quarterback that can go through his reads and look defenders off. We need to utilize more conservative ball control offense with more plays that throw the defense off guard. Keep pounding the rock with Gore and Hyde. Then if they want to stack the box, hit them with play action and make sure you have some weapons on the field to throw to.

The offensive line needs to wake their ass up and start playing to their potential as pass blockers. We have a bunch of first round picks on the line and they need to start playing like it. It's straight disrespectful that all teams need to do to stop us is stack the box and blitz. We should be taking advantage of teams being over aggressive on us every damn game, but were not and it's so damn frustrating! That's why I've been so pissed with the Oline and Kap because I expect so much more from them.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
The problem is we have all these weapons on offense with Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, and Davis and we want to use them. We can't use them however because the offensive line sucks ass at pass blocking and Kap is not the type of quarterback that can go through his reads and look defenders off. We need to utilize more conservative ball control offense with more plays that throw the defense off guard. Keep pounding the rock with Gore and Hyde. Then if they want to stack the box, hit them with play action and make sure you have some weapons on the field to throw to.

The offensive line needs to wake their ass up and start playing to their potential as pass blockers. We have a bunch of first round picks on the line and they need to start playing like it. It's straight disrespectful that all teams need to do to stop us is stack the box and blitz. We should be taking advantage of teams being over aggressive on us every damn game, but were not and it's so damn frustrating! That's why I've been so pissed with the Oline and Kap because I expect so much more from them.

I agree with a lot of that.
They tried 4-5 wide in the first Rams game and threw underneath. Moved the ball pretty effectively for several drives. Pretty sure the Rams defense adjusted the second game. We don't have personnel to sustain that for long. Offensive line can't pass block consistently, there are no deep threat at WR, defenses start looking for the usual underneath stuff to Boldin,Crabtree,VD. We have a young qb that can't make quick read with 4-5 receivers buzing around at different part of the field. With these combos, it's no wonder there were 8 sacks responsible between the offensive line and the qb. Yes, Kaep were responsible for at least a couple of those sacks.

We have fast young guys like Ellington we refused to use as WR on the field, but loves the veteran presence for Kaep's security. The whole offense needs to play better. It starts with offensive line, Kaep, and the receivers. Total BS against what was a 31st ranked Rams defense.
Why did they wait half a season to do this? They look great when they run.

• THEB
  • Veteran
DING DING DING! We have a winner! This game proves it

Hey lookie here. Commit to the run and win in New Orleans. Surprise, surprise.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Loss of identity? Not sure about that. The reason for the decline is evident. Our offensive line has been putrid this year. Anthony Davis has been injured and missed all of preseason/first few games. He's rusty. Boone held out and missed preseason. He's rusty. Martin is a rookie who just played his first game. Enough said. Iupati is struggling to get back into form after breaking his leg last year. Staley? God knows what has happened to the anchor on our offensive line. Maybe he's game is finally declining or his injured but he's been horrible.
actually our pass pro oline has never been great. anthony davis was always inconsistent in pass pro. dont believe me ? rewatch the phins game in 2012 where cam wake took his soul. watch rams game the same year where chris long has been abusing him.

the real main reason for oline being putrid this year has really been that we resort to passing more than running for first. this goes in hand with the identity thing.

this line was never built to protect the passer. they are big mauler guys whose main asset is run blocking. the only guy that is above average in pass pro is staley.
yes, boone and staley have been worse than usual, but even then its not as much of a dropoff as you try to make it to be. the line was never great in pass pro, and thats WITH what might be the leagues best RB pass blocker in Gore. without him, its even more of a mess.

this team isnt built to win games by passing the ball. its the simple truth that many cant admit. for us to become a pass-friendly (not even pass happy) team we would need a rebuild oline, new coaching staff, and possibly a qb who is accurate on short throws (because in EVERY pass friendly offense the short pass game is prolific- ask Saints, Pats, Broncos)

this would require pretty much a total rebuild from what we have now. also would probably require a defense thats not so much 'bend but not break' but one like 'break but get a turnover or two' one. again, I dont know if many people want this rebuild which would take us out of contention. I certainly don't. defense and running the ball wins games and playoff games. passing the ball around a crapton gives you an illusion of winning games and you have to have an elite qb. and even then nothing is guaranteed.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by pete98146:
actually our pass pro oline has never been great. anthony davis was always inconsistent in pass pro. dont believe me ? rewatch the phins game in 2012 where cam wake took his soul. watch rams game the same year where chris long has been abusing him.

the real main reason for oline being putrid this year has really been that we resort to passing more than running for first. this goes in hand with the identity thing.

this line was never built to protect the passer. they are big mauler guys whose main asset is run blocking. the only guy that is above average in pass pro is staley.
yes, boone and staley have been worse than usual, but even then its not as much of a dropoff as you try to make it to be. the line was never great in pass pro, and thats WITH what might be the leagues best RB pass blocker in Gore. without him, its even more of a mess.

this team isnt built to win games by passing the ball. its the simple truth that many cant admit. for us to become a pass-friendly (not even pass happy) team we would need a rebuild oline, new coaching staff, and possibly a qb who is accurate on short throws (because in EVERY pass friendly offense the short pass game is prolific- ask Saints, Pats, Broncos)

this would require pretty much a total rebuild from what we have now. also would probably require a defense thats not so much 'bend but not break' but one like 'break but get a turnover or two' one. again, I dont know if many people want this rebuild which would take us out of contention. I certainly don't. defense and running the ball wins games and playoff games. passing the ball around a crapton gives you an illusion of winning games and you have to have an elite qb. and even then nothing is guaranteed.

Share 49ersWebzone