LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

The loss of identity is why the 49ers lose.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Spread the field out with 4 WR's. Just keep in 5 linemen to block. No extra TE or anything. Who are they kidding? They think they got Peyton Manning? No we don't. Plus our O Line is far better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Pound the ball between the Tackles with Gore and Hyde all game long. A limited # of passes with Kaepernick. He does not need 4 WR's on the field. He can't find them all fast enough anyway. It's a complete waste. 2 WR's, 1 TE, maybe an extra TE to STAY IN and BLOCK. That's it.

Gore, Hyde, Run Block, occasional pass. Play defense. That's how this team is built. That's how it was always built. For years that's how we made the NFC Championship games. Not by spreading it out and passing. That's not who we are and it's not how we are built to succeed. Despite the defensive key guys out we only got badly roasted vs. Denver. I think if we get back to our slam it into the pile run identity it would keep our defense off the field and they would be even better. They have not even played that bad considering who is missing. How can you miss Aldon, Willis and Bowman and not drop off some? Of course they are down. But not our real problem if we get back to a commitment to running.

Like it or not this team was always built to run a lot and pass a little. Everything from how our O Line is built better for the run, our QB and his limits, and our RB's who really carry the offense. You can throw in all the fancy WR's you want. But that is not how we are built. We got Stevie Johnson and Lloyd and in some ways that hurt us. They looked at it and probably said we got to get these guys on the field and pass more. It's why we are losing. We don't have a team built to throw 40 - 50 times a game. We are not Denver. If we go back to what we really do and how we are really built we can win more games. We will be down in the standings because we already lost a lot. But we can get to the playoffs like that.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM ]

Yeah that is why we are losing unfortunately.
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible
,Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable
,Clinical, intellectual, cynical.
There are times when all the world's asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who we are.
Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!
At night, when all the world's asleep,
The questions run so deep
For such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who we are.
We didn't lose it, we just need to get back to it
The more I think about it maybe Harbaugh made the wrong decision picking Kaep over Alex....

You see the coaches knew that with Alex our passing game was only limited to 20 yards max, so they focused more on the running game and short passing, which WAS our identity and our bread and butter!

But of course they chose Kaep who has nearly unlimited potential. Unfortunately they're using him the wrong way, and it doesn't help that their playcalling has been exposed.

Man we need new coaches desperately.
I was really surprised that we didn't run more against Lambs. Gore usually feasts on them.

There is a definite change in philosophy this year. Spread it out more and use the weapons. Personally, I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stay committed to the run and then alter the gameplan some as the game dictates. Some games we'll have to pass more than others obviously. But the lack of commitment to running against the Lambs was really perplexing.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We didn't lose it, we just need to get back to it

Every time they do the running and limited passing they win. They try to spread out the field and become Peyton Manning and pass all the time they will lose. That is not this team. That is not how we are built.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I was really surprised that we didn't run more against Lambs. Gore usually feasts on them.

There is a definite change in philosophy this year. Spread it out more and use the weapons. Personally, I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stay committed to the run and then alter the gameplan some as the game dictates. Some games we'll have to pass more than others obviously. But the lack of commitment to running against the Lambs was really perplexing.

I agree. They need to run more.
Originally posted by verb1der:
The more I think about it maybe Harbaugh made the wrong decision picking Kaep over Alex....

You see the coaches knew that with Alex our passing game was only limited to 20 yards max, so they focused more on the running game and short passing, which WAS our identity and our bread and butter!

Captain Checkdown, never forget

But of course they chose Kaep who has nearly unlimited potential. Unfortunately they're using him the wrong way, and it doesn't help that their playcalling has been exposed.

What if ownership wants the change, ala jerry jones

Kaep is a perfect fit for the old offensive scheme, 2012
For the most part, I'd agree, SD.

Seems more like we are trying too hard to showcase the freshly signed QB.. instead of doing what we do best.

Get back to the run game, and mix in 20-25 passes per game. If it feels like the OL is holding the blocks long enough for it? mix in some play-action pass with this. Don't force every throw or possession, as if it's your last. Drive the field, but limit mistakes by only taking shots when they are there. It's okay to punt.. we have the D and P to help. What we can't endure is reckless errors.

I still think the largest issue we have is.. the ability to better sense what the defense is doing pre-snap.. and adjust or plan accordingly to it.

... and that is no small missing ingredient.
  • thl408
Offseason talk:
"More 3 WR sets"
"Open up the offense"
"Use an attacking passing game"
"Unleash the Kap"

In season talk:
"Stop passing"
"Stop spreading the field"
"Run Gore, even if 8 in the box"

We are never happy.
Its like:- "hey man, we got all these 1,000 yard WRs in the game so lets use them."

Dude, this team should still rise and fall on the back of Frank Gore.

That Frank can't get even one carry on 1st and goal from the 2 with a minute to go has to be the most baffling decision in professional sports.

Running and short passing game is who we STILL ARE. Kap has bit upside but huge limits at the present time IMO. You aren't going to put 4 WR's on the field, spread it out and succeed with him like that. No way. He doesn't even make all the reads fast enough. I think he can read 2 WR's. Anything more is overwhelming for him. Run and O Line Run Block is how we are build anyway. Iupati and Anthony Davis are awesome at that.
Share 49ersWebzone