LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Defense Overrated

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
One thing that Bill Walsh and his crew often were credited for is their offense, but in all honesty, Bill Walsh worked harder to find those great defender for his defense..

He taught his crew to let his offense get all the attention while building his defense was "all means necessary"... and at this point, both Baalke and Harbaugh did not follow that way.. they chose to build their defense via Patriots' Blue Print... believing that we can get it done "that" way instead of finding players with even 3 years left in their tank help the team now..
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
lol at this thread.
No, this defense is not over-rated. In fact, considering the number of starting players who haven't been on the field, this defense is performing very well.
Originally posted by 9moon:
One thing that Bill Walsh and his crew often were credited for is their offense, but in all honesty, Bill Walsh worked harder to find those great defender for his defense..

He taught his crew to let his offense get all the attention while building his defense was "all means necessary"... and at this point, both Baalke and Harbaugh did not follow that way.. they chose to build their defense via Patriots' Blue Print... believing that we can get it done "that" way instead of finding players with even 3 years left in their tank help the team now..

What, like Justin Smith, you mean? Ahmad Brooks? Antoine Bethea?
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Such a silly thread. The stats are tilted because the Denver game. In either event the offense is in fact 100% the reason we are tanked. The Denver game losing Willis was the last straw for the D, the starters on O could only come up with 10 points and kept Manning on the field all game. I mean, everyone, including the coaching staff, thought the defense would struggle this season and that the passing game would have to pick up the slack. The defense has played great, especially considering the injuries/suspension and the passing game has failed. Anyone watching the games should realize this.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
People that are calling it a top ranked defense are obviously looking at yards allowed instead of points allowed. We are 2nd behind # 1 Detroit in yards per game allowed.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Justin Smith and Brooks were already w/the 49ers when Harbaugh came... Bethea is just a replacement for Whitmore, then Baalke drafted a freakin another safety in Ward..

Goldson was hitting his prime when Baalke let him go, then he turns around and drafted a FS who at most, will need 3 to 5 years to become great, and that's even questionable..

Instead of trying to make a run at the legitimate corners (Cromartie, Cromartie or even Revis) we played the "we cool" game and let T-Brown walk for Culliver, a young PUNK that eventually will not be here...

We let Whitmore walk, then sign Bethea, then draft a tweener for FS in Ward...

can you tell me if this is a Formula for Success???

Goldson was hitting his prime when Baalke let him go, then he turns around and drafted a FS who at most, will need 3 to 5 years to become great, and that's even questionable..

Reid had a better season than Goldson did in his very first year - with not one drive extending bone-head unnecessary roughness penalty the entire season.
We are missing our 3 best defensive players. Cut the D some slack. At 100% we are not overrated.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Reid had a better season than Goldson did in his very first year - with not one drive extending bone-head unnecessary roughness penalty the entire season.

Goldson has been a free agent bust for Tampa bay. He'll be released after this season.

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by crake49:

Goldson has been a free agent bust for Tampa bay. He'll be released after this season.

Exactly. Why are some people still pretending it was a wrong move to let him go and replace him with Eric Reid? I can't even begin to figure that one out.
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
If we had a consistent offense capable of sustaining long drives and punching it in the end zone I guarantee our ppg allowed avg would be just as good or even better than the past 4 years.

And I guarantee that would not be the case. Everyone forget that we have had trouble rushing the passer in a majority of our games this season? Our defense is not as good as you think, and is nowhere near our truly elite Ds of the past 3 seasons, plain and simple.

We need time of possession stats to dissect this properly. I'm pretty sure our TOP would increase if our offense was more efficient. And if that's the case you'd tend to think the opportunity for our opponents to score points would lessen thereby resulting in a lower ppg allowed average.
This thread is potatoe
Originally posted by Garcia2Owens:
We are missing our 3 best defensive players. Cut the D some slack. At 100% we are not overrated.

THIS. We are missing Brock, Bowman, Dorsey, Willis, and Smith. Take the starters of those positions off of any defense in the league and show me what their record would be. Even if you took 3 pro bowlers off of every time. Record would likely no better than 4-4 for any other team in the league.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM ]
Justin Smith and Brooks were already w/the 49ers when Harbaugh came... Bethea is just a replacement for Whitmore, then Baalke drafted a freakin another safety in Ward..

Instead of trying to make a run at the legitimate corners (Cromartie, Cromartie or even Revis) we played the "we cool" game and let T-Brown walk for Culliver, a young PUNK that eventually will not be here...

We let Whitmore walk, then sign Bethea, then draft a tweener for FS in Ward...

can you tell me if this is a Formula for Success???

I don't see a logical thread to your post. Surely you are aware of the impact of the salary cap? Goldson walked because we couldn't afford him. You know this, or you should. And he gave away too damn many silly penalties. So Baalke picked up Reid. Looks like a formula for success to me.

Bethea for Whitmore? That worked for me as well.

Make a run at the really expensive established corners? No, we just can't afford them as well as our own stars. And with a great pass rusher, we don't need them like some other teams. So thanks, Aldon.

so yes, it is a formula for success. I don't know any formula for success that can cope with losing your top players to injury and suspension, though. I doubt if one exists.
Share 49ersWebzone