LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

Defense Overrated

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Our defense is very good, but they are not dominating.. I think that as long as Justin and the set of LBs are here, we will always have a good defense.. as far as dominating, I just feel that our coaching staff do not have enough balls to let our defense loose..
The difference between #15 and #1 in PPG is 6.5 points (less than a TD). Of the 13 points the Rams scored, 10 were d/t a short field off one TO and a shanked punt IIRC. And like the other poster stated, it doesn't take into account the field positon on 3 and outs and ST yards gained against us. I agree that PPG is more important than yards but anytime you are top 5 in every meaningful defensive category, you ARE a top ranked defense. Period.

In short, we are #2 in yards allowed, #15 in PPG, #3 in passing, #5 is rushing, #1 in receiving defense and I believe we are a top TO team as well. Brock is #2 in the league in terms of INT's. THAT is a top defense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Missing your 3 top defensive players tends to do that. For the most part, this patchwork D has done a great job (minus the denver game). It's the fkn offense we need to worry about.
Under Harbaugh we are 5-11-1 when we surrender over 22 points in a game.This season we are 0-3 in such instances.

I agree the offense has been a disappointment. And again, I agree this Defense has overachieved big time. I shudder to think what we'd look like if they weren't playing as well as they are.

And once Aldons back, look out
Originally posted by NCommand:
The difference between #15 and #1 in PPG is 6.5 points (less than a TD). Of the 13 points the Rams scored, 10 were d/t a short field off one TO and a shanked punt IIRC. And like the other poster stated, it doesn't take into account the field positon on 3 and outs and ST yards gained against us. I agree that PPG is more important than yards but anytime you are top 5 in every meaningful defensive category, you ARE a top ranked defense. Period.

In short, we are #2 in yards allowed, #15 in PPG, #3 in passing, #5 is rushing, #1 in receiving defense and I believe we are a top TO team as well. Brock is #2 in the league in terms of INT's. THAT is a top defense.

You think there's a chance our yardage is so low because we've played from behind more often?

In the past our run D was great but pass D was middle of the road because teams played us from behind, abandoned the run and threw a lot of passes.

It does feel to me like we've played from behind more. I'll have to check that out.
[ Edited by kush on Nov 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM ]
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by NCommand:

You think there's a chance our yardage is so low because we've played from behind more often?

In the past our run D was great but pass D was middle of the road because teams played us from behind, abandoned the run and threw a lot of passes.

It does feel to me like we've played from behind more. I'll have to check that out.

Outside the Bronco's give-away game, we've been in every single game. I would think the yardage may be down b/c we force a lot of 3 and outs coupled with some success of our longer-intermediate passing game and Lee pinning teams deep. Plus we've had quite a few TO's. May have to check the TOP compared to other teams as well. But again, if you look above, we're top 5 in every catgeory save for PPG. I don't know if our defense has ever ranked that high across the board.
As is alredy mentioned... no Bowman, Aldon 'n Dorsey... this D should give themeselves a big pat on the back!

I wouldn't call it overrated though.

Now our O-Line... that's OVERRATED!
Originally posted by kush:
Under Harbaugh we are 5-11-1 when we surrender over 22 points in a game.This season we are 0-3 in such instances.

I agree the offense has been a disappointment. And again, I agree this Defense has overachieved big time. I shudder to think what we'd look like if they weren't playing as well as they are.

And once Aldons back, look out

This post completely conradicts the title of the thread...you cant overachieve and be overrated
This reminds me of the past when our defense was always hung out to dry by the lowly offense.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This whole f**king thread is besides the f**king point.

IDGAF if our defense is "overrated". Fact is, the defense was expected to take a step back this year given the injuries and suspensions. Meanwhile, they have overachieved based on the talent on the field. The offense was expected to step up. Meanwhile, they have underachieved based on the talent on the field.

Yeah, we can't rush the passer (the ONLY thing the defense really consistently struggles with). Well, when the game's best pass rusher isn't playing that's what is going to happen. The PPG argument is lame because that doesn't take into account pick 6's and special teams points.

I dunno how you can say the defense is "overrated". The defense is the only reason we've won games and that was NOT supposed to be the case. If the defense was giving up 3 TDs a game on it's own we'd be 2-6 or worse now.

i'm first to admit its not a great D and below what we've had 3 previous seasons, but given who is out its pretty encouraging the way several backups have played
Kapscuses
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I guess you missed all the Pro Bowl level guys who are hurt and suspended.

You also missed how bad the offense is. Yes it's that bad. The D has done their job only to be let down by the offense.

SD with some actual knowledge Shocking.
not fair to say when half the starters are out.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'm first to admit its not a great D and below what we've had 3 previous seasons, but given who is out its pretty encouraging the way several backups have played

With the "passing league" in full force (along with the new/old rules), the defenses in the NFL must have really fallen off b/c to be ranked that high across the board AFTER the give-me game to the Broncos is probably more telling than anything. We're a top 5 defense. Period. Again, I'm not sure we've ever been ranked that high WITH a healthy and rolling Aldon, Bowman, Willis, Dorsey, Whitner, Brooks, etc. Maybe we're even undervaluing our own current starters or overvaluing our all-stars? Could that be possible?
Share 49ersWebzone