There are 271 users in the forums

Defense Overrated

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our Defense, though it has performed most admirably this season, is being severely overrated. I keep reading that we are the #1 or #2 Defense, and that this is a reason we should be better than 4-4.

I continually see the blame for our disappointing team record being attributed to the offense. The rationale seems to be "If our Defense is still #1, but we're not winning games like we used to, the offense must be the issue."

But since when did 49er fans start caring abt Total defense? The 49er defenses under Harbaugh/Fangio weren't known for their total defense, but rather for ppg allowed. Fangio himself says yards allowed can be misleading and that ppg is a better indication of how a D is playing.

A few numbers to illustrate my point:

2014: 22.3 ppg allowed (15th)
2013: 17.0 ppg allowed (3rd)
2012: 17.1 ppg allowed (2nd)
2011: 14.3 ppg allowed (2nd)
2010: 21.6 ppg allowed (16th)

Again, the defense has performed very well considering the obstacles they've had to face. Much better than I anticipated. But can we please stop with the #1 defense talk.
No one says we are a top tier defense this year. They have overachieved some games. Had timely turnovers. The offense was supposed to pick up the slack this year. The offense has failed us.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
No one says we are a top tier defense this year. They have overachieved some games. Had timely turnovers. The offense was supposed to pick up the slack this year. The offense has failed us.

This......
If we had a consistent offense capable of sustaining long drives and punching it in the end zone I guarantee our ppg allowed avg would be just as good or even better than the past 4 years.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM ]
I guess you missed all the Pro Bowl level guys who are hurt and suspended.

You also missed how bad the offense is. Yes it's that bad. The D has done their job only to be let down by the offense.

The D has overachieved this season, no doubt. And the offense is trying to pick up the slack for a declining defense and a declining OL...easier said than done.

I think 4-4, considering the obstacles and that we could easily be 7-1, is impressive.
PPG don't take into account how many points special teams give up.How many points are scored off of turnovers.... Example the Philadelphia game,Philadelphia had 21 points and none of those were scored against the defense.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
Yeah so overrated..playing pretty damn well without 3 all pros who happen to be the very best in the league at their positions, their top CB and last years starting DT...along with countless other injuries that have kept guys in and out of games. Overrated my ass
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
If we had a consistent offense capable of sustaining long drives and punching it in the end zone I guarantee our ppg allowed avg would be just as good or even better than the past 4 years.

And I guarantee that would not be the case. Everyone forget that we have had trouble rushing the passer in a majority of our games this season? Our defense is not as good as you think, and is nowhere near our truly elite Ds of the past 3 seasons, plain and simple.
How many times did our offense leave the defense in unfavorable field position? That can go quite a ways into muddling the true PPG average of a defense, eh?

I am in part responding to ppl who point out our yards per game and say we are a top defense. Just saying I don't agree. If you think we have a top 5 D, I'm saying you're overrating us.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
How many times did our offense leave the defense in unfavorable field position? That can go quite a ways into muddling the true PPG average of a defense, eh?

This.

The offense is as much to blame now as it was in 2010 and earlier. The defense has been solid...but you can't put them in a bad position and you can't leave them on the field all day long.
Except for the Broncos game the D has held up well. Players like Borland and Lynch are forcing their way on the field. If Tank and Dial step up along with the rookie DB's the D should be in good shape in the years ahead.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
PPG don't take into account how many points special teams give up.How many points are scored off of turnovers.... Example the Philadelphia game,Philadelphia had 21 points and none of those were scored against the defense.

This.
Originally posted by Baldie:

This......

Absolutely. We've known all off-season that we'd be down two defensive All-Pro's for about half the season and we NEEDED the offense to pick-up the defense . . . which sadly hasn't happened.
Share 49ersWebzone