LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

49ers Fan: The Problem is Money & Motivation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is probably why the Patriots tend to trade key players before they become disgruntled. Either you're 100% focused on football or NEXT MAN UP!
Harbs is also an extremely intense coach. He gets results fast, but it takes a toll on his players.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Nov 5, 2014 at 7:35 AM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
That's a flipping dumb take imo. Boone is underpaid, but beyond that most our guys make solid to better money for their position.

HARBUGH shelved the extension talks fearing setting a bad precedence when they had Boone and Davis both holding out with 2 years left just like Harbaugh had, York had nothing to do with that decision. Davis is STILL one of the highest paid players at his position, but sucks because he missed too much training camp. Boone sucks because he missed all of training camp. Crabtree sucks because there are too many roosters in the hen house and he knows his time in SF is done after this year. The offense sucks because we have an offensive coordinator that shouldn't be one, and Harbaugh sucks because of his blind loyalty to Roman and the rest of his awful offensive staff (minus Rathman).
ha ha ha to many roosters in the hen house man thats a good one lol but yeah I have to agree with your statement, But it is Harbuaghs offense that's being ran and there lies the problem..If you are an ex-nfl qb that was decent like Harbs it would seem that the schemes and correct play-calling would be BETTER then the HOT-Carbbage that is being displayed over and over again....soooooooooo it falls on Harbs head he is responsible for the trainwreck of an offense that is offensive.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Phil:
Lol, ya right. If players want to get paid they play lights out to pad their stats so they can collect in FA, especially true for Crabtree. If you think Crabtree is going to purposely drop balls because he wants to get paid more I don't know what to say.

I'm confused -- did you think he was saying players are "purposely" playing bad? His point is the players are collectively off because essentially they cannot seemingly put together a game where all of them are COLLECTIVELY focused on the field. So many ugly games this year, even the wins. It's hard to ignore that the team does indeed often look "broken", unfocused, unaware, distracted, and all the synonymous terms that go along with those.

If pay is an issue, traditionally people play better so as to demand more. Davis held out because his stats were padded, because the Niners had no viable WR's fir a while in 2013. He knew, with an influx of WR's comming in he'd get less passes thrown his way and his stats would suffer so he was trying to cash in on his 2013 numbers. His "absence" this year is to be expected when you have Johnson and Lloyd comming in. Crabtree just seems to be having a s**t year which totally hurts his chances if making more money. Kap isn't playing well and he just signed that new contract! And his pay will actually suffer from poor performance. The issue here isn't money.

I think the players want to do well, and want to win, but I think this fan's thought is that players might be focused too much on the present circumstances instead of making the best of it and doing the best they can to better their situation. Like I said, it's hard to say 100% either way. In the corporate environment, this thing does happen -- and you're right that logically, the underpaid person with the talent and ability to do great things would go above and beyond to earn the raise, but I think there are some examples where it doesn't always turn out that way (person doesn't always perform to that level, and/or the raise never comes). At some point, I think there's room for the possibility that there could be a ride-it-out-until-I'm-somewhere-else sort of mentality.

Again, just to clarify, by no means is this to say that this is what's going on.. but it's an interesting thought that this individual had and I wouldn't be too surprised if it has some truth to it.

I think the only top down problems we have on this team is coaching philosophy on offense. Roman is an issue and the s**t has hit the fan. The offense just can't get into the endzone. It's pathetic. We're last in the leage. I personally blame Roman, the o line and Kap. Not ownership. If anything ownership will step in and make some serious changes soon.

I personally feel we need to pull a John Harbaugh and fire the OC. The problems are not on defense. Fangio is doing his job in REMARKABLE fashion with backups upon backups. Greg Roman is failing epically with all-star talent across the board on offense. A combination of Pro Bowl/All-Pro OL, star RB with very talented #2, three 1000 yard receivers, Pro Bowl tight end, Pro Bowl caliber FB.. and we're LAST? LAST IN THE RED ZONE?

If we lose to New Orleans because we can't put up offense, I'm sorry, Roman needs to be let go. No more chances. Jim needs to consult John and listen.. if the OC is a large part of what's about to cost you the season, it's time for a change.
Preach ..exactly what should have been done after the Arizona Game.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Like most, I fear harbaugh and roman are a packaged deal. If management steps in and fires roman it undermines harbaugh. I really hope im wrong but I fear we will be looking for a new head coach after this season.

and
Thanks for posting this OTC...really interesting read!

Not necessarily Phil! If you are a member of a team and see team mates go elsewhere to get their paydays, it's somewhat disillusioning. They know that Baalke has a system and if their play exceeds the pay slot...they will have to go elsewhere. It's reality...not necessarily anyone's fault.

Boone and VD held out. Harbaugh tacitly approved by not backing the front office at all times. This was not a good move on his part. Not saying he supported the hold out but by past comments he placed himself on the players side opposed to management. His own pay situation is on top of that, not helpful to the collected mindset of the team. "Gee, they won't pay the coach who brought winning back to SF...what chance do we have?" By not extending Harbaugh last year the team let it be known that Baalke is in charge and Harbaugh is his employee. Jed came out late and supported Harbaugh...way into the year...and only to ward off a feeding frenzy by NFLN and others.

Jed could send a message to further support the coach, but doesn't seem inclined to do so. This is not an easy situation--
  • coach who is phenomenal but a bit looney and not entirely management friendly
  • GM who runs a very tight ship but may be too rigid and pushing the coach further away, communication break down?
  • owner who is respected but young, and seemingly not willing to be the public spokesperson--which is fine if all is going well
  • players trying to hold it together but not quite convincing (Gore and CK doing pressers together, Boone saying all the right things, etc.)
  • Trying to satisfy two opposing offensive forms on one team--WRs & QB versus OL and RBs

Winning would really help a lot but would it remove all the issues? No, I would argue it will create more issues in the long run and the team may need to make major changes--players and/or coaches.
Originally posted by verb1der:
This is probably why the Patriots tend to trade key players before they become disgruntled. Either you're 100% focused on football or NEXT MAN UP!

A half intelligent post. I'm impressed.

What OTC posted here makes a lot of sense. My thoughts on the OL wasn't that they were distracted about their contracts as much as Boone wasn't there so they didn't have a chance to build chemistry and then suddenly things got bad and the line melted down..and then on top of it, they lost the starting center.

All that said, the defense is playing well for the most part...it's the offense that concerns me. VD, The OL, Crabtree and Kap are at 100%..and all are interdependent.

I intentionally left Frank out of this.. He's 1 getting older. 2, playing behind a line that isn't doing well. 3, not getting a lot of touches and 4, still averaging 4.1 yards per carry.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yorks gonna York and mess up a good thing.
Originally posted by susweel:

Like father like son?
Originally posted by susweel:

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Like father like son?

Hope the bleepity bleep bleep not!

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Biggest mistake is when Jed put the contract talk until after the season.. makin it look like that there's an ultimatum for Jim to win the Super Bowl "or else"..

If York had a plan on keeping Harbaugh, why not just re-sign him and talk about changes in the assistants AFTER the season..
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Biggest mistake is when Jed put the contract talk until after the season.. makin it look like that there's an ultimatum for Jim to win the Super Bowl "or else"..

If York had a plan on keeping Harbaugh, why not just re-sign him and talk about changes in the assistants AFTER the season..

Because I think the front office just doesn't know if they want Harbaugh back. He's brought winning back to SF. He's gotten them a new stadium. I think Harbaugh has done the most he can do. I think a new HC needs to come in and rejuvenate this team. The losses are only making the front offices case to not resign him. You can see in some of the veteran players that they are frustrated.
Let's be clear though, Boone is definitely not underpaid the way he's playing lol
It's hard to argue the lack of motivation, but I would not put it solely on money. I do agree that if York lets Harbaugh go, it will be the worst move since the Baltimore Colts let Shula go to Miami. All this front office crap reminds me of the Terry Donahue era. The arrogance of that front office, when Mooch was winning despite a lack of talent on the roster, Donahue publicly and privately claimed it was the front office that was making the difference, not Mooch. Same type of rumors, Tampa bay asked about trading for Mooch, the media claimed Mooch was losing the locker room, bla, bla, bla. The rest is history, ten years later, here we are again. Sad to be a 49ers fan right now.

And to add one more thing... Check my older posts and you'll find me to be somewhat of an overly optimist homer. If I feel this way, you can imagne how the players must feel. Why put all your effort out there for somebody that thinks you're so replaceable? My bet is a lot of players, are just trying to survive this season without an injury. Nobody plays well under those circumstances.
[ Edited by vermonator on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
It's hard to argue the lack of motivation, but I would not put it solely on money. I do agree that if York lets Harbaugh go, it will be the worst move since the Baltimore Colts let Shula go to Miami. All this front office crap reminds me of the Terry Donahue era. The arrogance of that front office, when Mooch was winning despite a lack of talent on the roster, Donahue publicly and privately claimed it was the front office that was making the difference, not Mooch. Same type of rumors, Tampa bay asked about trading for Mooch, the media claimed Mooch was losing the locker room, bla, bla, bla. The rest is history, ten years later, here we are again. Sad to be a 49ers fan right now.

No. You are comparing Baalke's front office with TDon's. And two teams in massively different positions. Just no.
Share 49ersWebzone