LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

49ers Doomed By Play-Calling. . . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Yeah good article! You could kind of hear the frustration in his voice. 0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do. This is what I thought would be figured out after the bye week. Study what we do well and get back to 49er football.
Yeah, that's a pretty damning stat right there. In fact it's an indictment! All the ra-ra locker room speeches won't change that. This mess we are in is squarely on coaching philosophy and play-calling trying to force that philosophy, and going away from what works before a team proves they can stop it.

If they believe it's important to be able to pass more then perhaps losing some games now is OK...if it means winning bigger games down the road. But the offensive players seem so defeated...not sure they aren't over correcting toward the pass.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Yeah good article! You could kind of hear the frustration in his voice. 0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do. This is what I thought would be figured out after the bye week. Study what we do well and get back to 49er football.
Yeah, that's a pretty damning stat right there. In fact it's an indictment! All the ra-ra locker room speeches won't change that. This mess we are in is squarely on coaching philosophy and play-calling trying to force that philosophy, and going away from what works before a team proves they can stop it.

If they believe it's important to be able to pass more then perhaps losing some games now is OK...if it means winning bigger games down the road. But the offensive players seem so defeated...not sure they aren't over correcting toward the pass.
I call it over-coaching.
Good article. Why you go away from the run plays that are working I don't know. We had 1 drive against the rams where we ran the ball and threw short quick passes and drove all the way down inside the rams 35 in FG postion with a 1st and ten. Then we took a deep drop and got sacked and the drive stalled and we didn't even get a FG try. It was ridiculous.

If we are not getting good pass protection then try chipping the outside rushers. Keep a FB in to help block. Go to quicker routes. Roll the QB out. Run the ball more. A good running game also slows the pass rush. When we went to shorter routes they were working. When we rolled Kap out it worked. We got our only TD on a rollout but we only did it once or twice. Why?

If you do go deep have an outlet receiver you can dump the ball to if the rush is coming on.

Even on the last play I would rather have Gore who will end up in the HOF running than Kap on a sneak.

Denver was a debacle but we should have won at least 2 of the other games we lost. Roman needs to get his act together.

I am always worried someone will snatch up Fangio after each season. No worrying about Roman getting offers.
49ers are doomed by two things, their offensive line and their play calling who thinks they can pass block.....run blocking has been spotty this year too.
I call it over-coaching.

Trying to figure out how much the run game affects the team--Over 100 yards in game = 3/1, Under 100 yards = 1/3

Yards per game are not significantly different except for the Phil game and maybe KC. Beginning to think this is anything but a power running team!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Good article. Why you go away from the run plays that are working I don't know. We had 1 drive against the rams where we ran the ball and threw short quick passes and drove all the way down inside the rams 35 in FG postion with a 1st and ten. Then we took a deep drop and got sacked and the drive stalled and we didn't even get a FG try. It was ridiculous.

If we are not getting good pass protection then try chipping the outside rushers. Keep a FB in to help block. Go to quicker routes. Roll the QB out. Run the ball more. A good running game also slows the pass rush. When we went to shorter routes they were working. When we rolled Kap out it worked. We got our only TD on a rollout but we only did it once or twice. Why?

If you do go deep have an outlet receiver you can dump the ball to if the rush is coming on.

Even on the last play I would rather have Gore who will end up in the HOF running than Kap on a sneak.

Denver was a debacle but we should have won at least 2 of the other games we lost. Roman needs to get his act together.

I am always worried someone will snatch up Fangio after each season. No worrying about Roman getting offers.

You need to post this series in the film analysis thread before everyone starts believing the play calling was spot on, we made good adjustments at half time and that the real source of the issues could be atrributed to the OL (50%) and CK (50%). We have a tendency to look at the symptoms but not the source of the disease.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
damnnn, you all just realized this???
For a perfect example of how bad the play calling has been, look to the 2nd qtr of the rams game when Kap gets hit and fumbles. The Niners just ran the ball for 9 yards on 1st down then the next play they go with an empty backfield. There is no deception at all in that call. Why not just line up in the I formation and play action. The Rams probably stack the line thinking its a run and you trick them with play action. The team has lost its identity.
49ers need to go 2 WRS, 2 TEs and Gore or Hyde, and start moving people off the ball, shorten games and create Huge Playaction Gashing passes that CK thrives off of. This will take pressure off the passrush, and give our defense even more juice. and give our OLINE better protection. Do it, its the 49ers identity since JH came here.
Trying to figure out how much the run game affects the team--Over 100 yards in game = 3/1, Under 100 yards = 1/3

Yards per game are not significantly different except for the Phil game and maybe KC. Beginning to think this is anything but a power running team!

Beginning to just now? We've had a pretty average run offense (and downright pathetic on the road) ever since right around Kap took over (not sure if it's a coincidence). Doesn't seem like anyone really noticed or cared, because Kap's rushing stats inflated the total numbers and masked the problem.

I call it over-coaching.

0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do (that is, when Gore gets the ball 20-25 times vs. 5-10 times). Sometimes folks it's just that simple. I suppose if we squint hard enough we can see pink people dancing on the moon. The fact is that when Gore and Hyde gets the ball a healthy amount we win. When we don't we loose. Stat after stat has shown that. Bottom line is that JH and Roman aren't calling plays that reflect the personnel of this team, namely the O-line and QB. Whatever Kaep is (or isn't) he isn't 7 or 9 step drop-back passer, notwithstanding his arm strength. We didn't get to 3 straight NFC title games, and a Super Bowl to boot, on Kaep's arm. I'm sorry, but it's the coaching that is befalling this team. It's the coaching that's responsible for the loss of identity on this team, not Kaep.

IMHO
0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do (that is, when Gore gets the ball 20-25 times vs. 5-10 times). Sometimes folks it's just that simple. I suppose if we squint hard enough we can see pink people dancing on the moon. The fact is that when Gore and Hyde gets the ball a healthy amount we win. When we don't we loose. Stat after stat has shown that. Bottom line is that JH and Roman aren't calling plays that reflect the personnel of this team, namely the O-line and QB. Whatever Kaep is (or isn't) he isn't 7 or 9 step drop-back passer, notwithstanding his arm strength. We didn't get to 3 straight NFC title games, and a Super Bowl to boot, on Kaep's arm. I'm sorry, but it's the coaching that is befalling this team. It's the coaching that's responsible for the loss of identity on this team, not Kaep.

IMHO

Agree 100% I'm tired of yelling at my screen, BRING IN MR. HYDE and seeing the ball lobbed over to Crabtree for the same deflating result...BRING IN THE BLUDGEON

Originally posted by znk916:
Beginning to just now? We've had a pretty average run offense (and downright pathetic on the road) ever since right around Kap took over (not sure if it's a coincidence). Doesn't seem like anyone really noticed or cared, because Kap's rushing stats inflated the total numbers and masked the problem.

Team lost two of the three games Kaepernick ran for more than 50 yards...what were they masking?
Share 49ersWebzone