LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 327 users in the forums

49ers Doomed By Play-Calling. . . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online
. . . . And nothing else.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-doomed-play-calling/

Even if you don't like Grant Cohn you cannot ignore the the logic in this article.
Nice thread!

I think this is the first one that discusses playcalling
Good article.

Please post in coach's room.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
This article by grant, suprisingly, hit it on the spot. This is one of the issues but not the only issue. Granted the playcalling would could help out with the OL issues as well.

Even against the Saints, running the ball would be a killer.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nice thread!

I think this is the first one that discusses playcalling
I have been screaming play-calling for a long time. Time and time again JH and Roman go away from what's working as apposed to forcing the D to prove they can stop you fist. As a coach myself I have a philosophy I'd love to feature. But good coaches coach to the talent given to him. Our O-line are maulers with heavier feet, not built for constant pass protection. I say if they wanna pass more they should do so in a 3 or 4 wide look with Kaep. under the center and one back. That way we can we can still power run, play-action, and still be able to pass down the field. But the constant spread look isn't working.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Even if you don't like Grant Cohn you cannot ignore the the logic in this article.

I don't like Grant Cohn but this article is spot on. I was thinking the same thing earlier today without having read it.
Originally posted by Happs:

I don't like Grant Cohn but this article is spot on. I was thinking the same thing earlier today without having read it.

I agree, I rarely agree with Cohn but it's hard to dispute what he's saying here.

Earlier this year amid all the rumors about Harbaugh leaving someone asked me if I thought he'd be the coach next year and I said yes without hesitation because of the success he's had and that the team would want him back. Now I'm not so sure.
One of our biggest problems this year is we are just not running the ball enough.

The last few years, we have run first which kinda suits Kaeps style.
i think the cardinals and broncos just flat out whipped our ass; there's nothing harbaugh and co. could've stopped that from happening. Regardless, this story is almost spot on. Even our running game has suffered a bit (a little bit of play calling; mostly o line play) but we need to run the ball more-simple as that! and I lo'd at this little exert:

"Roman doesn't owe the 49ers brilliance. He merely owes them competence."

Roman isn't even competent.

I can't believe I just witnessed the return of Cohn to the Webzone. I think I can die happy now.

Yeah good article! You could kind of hear the frustration in his voice. 0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do. This is what I thought would be figured out after the bye week. Study what we do well and get back to 49er football.
Hmm...have to now assume Harbaugh and Roman are totally blameless! Darn...
Run the rock up the hey diddle diddle.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Yeah good article! You could kind of hear the frustration in his voice. 0-4 when we don't run enough and 4-0 when we do. This is what I thought would be figured out after the bye week. Study what we do well and get back to 49er football.
Yeah, that's a pretty damning stat right there. In fact it's an indictment! All the ra-ra locker room speeches won't change that. This mess we are in is squarely on coaching philosophy and play-calling trying to force that philosophy, and going away from what works before a team proves they can stop it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
pardon some of us that we do not roll out the shock and awe over this
Share 49ersWebzone