LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Jerry Rice said bring back the "West Coast Offense" on the NFL Network this morn

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He says that the offense has no timing in the passing game, and they need to ditch all of the read option stuff. Question, do you think they should do that? And is Kaepernick capable of running a West Coast Offense?
Good s**t Jerry. f**k that read option bs
That was the hope when Harbaugh returned, they ran a lot of WCO heavy stuff back in early to mid 2011 and from 2012 on, even before Kaepernick became the starter, seemingly ditched quite a bit of it.
Do it. Do it.
not a chance, there is no way kap can run the WCO.

you need to :
a) make strong pre-snap reads - adjust protections
b) have good timing
c) quick decision making
d) yet be patient and take what is there
e) release the ball quickly
f) go quickly through progressions

I don't see kap having any of these skills. WCO requires a cerebral QB. not jay cutler with speed
  • thl408
If they want to go full WCO, then bring in coaches that can teach it and believe in it. I have no confidence that Roman can teach it. Nothing tells me that Harbaugh believes in it. WCO is more than just a few OG plays from the 80's here and there. It is a full buy in to the philosophy. Ball control passing, based on timing.

I don't think the 49ers have the personnel to do it. A WCO needs to run screen plays and it is much better suited in a zone blocking run scheme. The 49ers Oline can do neither effectively enough. It is also ludicrous to do this mid season.
Originally posted by mtl_49er:

you need to :
b) have good timing
c) quick decision making

I don't see kap having any of these skills. WCO requires a cerebral QB. not jay cutler with speed

Don't forget a wc qb needs to have touch. Kap has none. I have acid reflux everytime he thows a bullet when all he needs is a soft touch pass.
That ship has sailed.

Jerry's just throwing out a soundbite.
Originally posted by thl408:
If they want to go full WCO, then bring in coaches that can teach it and believe in it. I have no confidence that Roman can teach it. Nothing tells me that Harbaugh believes in it. WCO is more than just a few OG plays from the 80's here and there. It is a full buy in to the philosophy. Ball control passing, based on timing.

I don't think the 49ers have the personnel to do it. A WCO needs to run screen plays and it is much better suited in a zone blocking run scheme. The 49ers Oline can do neither effectively enough. It is also ludicrous to do this mid season.

My God, I could NOT agree with this more. Enough of the hodge-podge offense. You need to run WCO designs WITH WCO principles and philosophies.

And yes, I do believe that CK would be able to run a WCO ala Steve Young. It will take a couple years to install and be fully operational and there may be a few changes to personnel along the way, but in the end, we'd be better for it! The changes need to be made this off season, first thing.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

you need to :
b) have good timing
c) quick decision making

Don't forget a wc qb needs to have touch. Kap has none. I have acid reflux everytime he thows a bullet when all he needs is a soft touch pass.
It's all coaching and repetition. Instead of installing a new offense every week, the coaching staff would be able to coach up CK and the timing offense through practice and repetition in order to acheive perfection in-game!

• Geeked
  • Veteran

you need to :
b) have good timing
c) quick decision making

a) make strong pre-snap reads - adjust protections (requires the play to be sent in on time)
b) have good timing (requires receivers to run clean routs)
c) quick decision making (requires the play to be sent in on time, many of these decisions are already made before the snap)
d) yet be patient and take what is there (blocking and moving the pocket so the D can't set the passing lane)
e) release the ball quickly (Kaep can do that)
f) go quickly through progressions (Time in NFL - Steve Young wasn't doing this until he was 32)
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

My God, I could NOT agree with this more. Enough of the hodge-podge offense. You need to run WCO designs WITH WCO principles and philosophies.

And yes, I do believe that CK would be able to run a WCO ala Steve Young. It will take a couple years to install and be fully operational and there may be a few changes to personnel along the way, but in the end, we'd be better for it! The changes need to be made this off season, first thing.

Kap seems like a smart dude, so yeah, I think he can absorb good coaching from a good coach. He is still a ball of clay imo, but the longer Kap is not exposed to full WCO, the longer it will take for him to learn it. What's tough is that if the 49ers move to WCO, it requires a coaching staff change, drafting changes - changes that may take more than one offseason. Then comes the growing pains that go along with a system overhaul. As fans, are we okay with this? When Kap must make a quick decision to throw the ball on timing and it results in an INT, are we going to blast him? We can't because that's growing pains.

It would be more ideal to have the system and coaches in place, then acquire the QB to run it. What NYG is doing is borderline reckless. To have Eli change systems this late in his career is a tall order for an established vet QB that has been in a quasi run and shoot system. We are seeing the growing pains associated with the system overhaul. If Eli is smart, he will get better and better as the year goes on which it seems like he is, but the season has been nearly gutted in doing so (I understand that NYG defense is poor so not all of NYGs losses are because of Eli).

Lacking the ability to run a screen is killing us. This line needs to be refreshed with more athletic guys.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

Lacking the ability to run a screen is killing us. This line needs to be refreshed with more athletic guys.

I love Roman's excuse for not running the screen. Does he realize that the 49ers were running the screen VERY WELL with Gogan and Brown. Hell, I think they were running the screen with Allen.
Kap seems like a smart dude, so yeah, I think he can absorb good coaching from a good coach. He is still a ball of clay imo, but the longer Kap is not exposed to full WCO, the longer it will take for him to learn it. What's tough is that if the 49ers move to WCO, it requires a coaching staff change, drafting changes - changes that may take more than one offseason. Then comes the growing pains that go along with a system overhaul. As fans, are we okay with this? When Kap must make a quick decision to throw the ball on timing and it results in an INT, are we going to blast him? We can't because that's growing pains.

It would be more ideal to have the system and coaches in place, then acquire the QB to run it. What NYG is doing is borderline reckless. To have Eli change systems this late in his career is a tall order for an established vet QB that has been in a quasi run and shoot system. We are seeing the growing pains associated with the system overhaul. If Eli is smart, he will get better and better as the year goes on which it seems like he is, but the season has been nearly gutted in doing so (I understand that NYG defense is poor so not all of NYGs losses are because of Eli).

I really miss what we were doing in 2011 and the first part of 2012. It was a nice mix of WCO pass plays with a power run game. The question is, is the OL injured or shot. With the way protection has been this year IDK if it's '89 joe or '94 steve, even they would have tough time with gut pressure on seemingly every pass play.
Share 49ersWebzone