LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Steve Young's observation from field, "49ers looked broken" ..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by buck:
Even Baalke admits the 9ers are broken, that is how bad it is.

Wait a minute. The headline said: GM Trent Baalke acknowledges 4-4 49ers are broken

Then we you actually read the transcript of the interview, the headline seems somewhat misleading.

Why do people look at the 49ers and say the team seems broken?

"When you're 4-4, there are some things broken. What I mean is, when you're 4-4 there are certain things you have to do better. The only thing we know how to correct it is to go back to work. You can't keep doing the same things over and over, can't keep making the same mistakes over and over. There's no room for error at this point. The separation between us and the division gets bigger with every lapse in our performance. Right now our backs are against the wall, and when backs are against the wall, you find out a lot about yourself."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/11/03/gm-trent-baalke-acknowledges-4-4-49ers-are-broken-defends-players-roman-ponders-youngstown-stay/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Baalke did not admit "that the 49ers are broken."

He said that when you are 4-4 there are "some things broken."

Some things does not = the 49ers.

Steve Young was talking about something completely different.

I get that, what Baalke was talking about was more directly related to on-field performance, nevertheless he still openly admitted that "some things are broken". He didn't just brush it off by saying for example it was just bad execution that's all, so no worries, but rather it was in fact serious and bad enough for him to declare it indeed "some things are broken".

The point is once you combine both Baalke and Steve Young's definition of what is broken, what do you have ?

Broken on-field performance (could encompass anything from overall philosophy, game-planning, playcalling, coaching, execution, level of play of individuals as well as different components of the team such as O-line, QB and others) + Broken spirit (Steve Young's definition) = You have yourself a completely broken team (both physically and mentally)

Let's face it, the current situation is just plain bad. To me, it all stems from the change to this new pass-heavy spread offensive philosophy. It wouldn't matter so much if it was working even if the players didn't like the change, the problem is it is failing miserably. When you keep losing games, it does take a toll on the psyche of the players and when you compound that with a lack of buy-in on what the coaches are trying to do strategically and schematically, boy you have a massive issue in your hands.

Let's think about it for a moment, who isn't broken at the moment ? May be the defense perhaps as they are still doing a good job even with so many missing key pieces (such as Bo, Aldon and Dorsey). That leaves the offense which is basically what Steve Young was referring to. The O-line allowed 6 sacks just in the first half alone and 8 in total. The team couldn't move the ball at all (3 of 12, 25% on 3rd down), be it in terms of rushing or passing, that means the O-line could neither run block nor pass protect. So, yes no doubt the whole line is broken especially given what Joe Staley said after the game. Then you look at the RB corps, Frank had a total of 14 carries while Carlos Hyde only had 2 as compared to a total of 41 passes from Kap, so you better believe they are broken. You can read about it for yourself from Frank's interview in complaining about what the offense is doing in totality. The guy is essentially challenging the coaches they shouldn't be doing what they are currently doing in saying that is not what the 9ers' offense does best which he termed as lack of identity.

Anyway, whichever way you look at it, this 9ers team is broken and the problem is I can't see it getting any better anytime soon neither.

Let's add the latest, according to Jerry Rice, Harbaugh has a disconnect with the players. The players tried to voice out opinions, but he doesn't want to listen given how stubborn he is, is basically his way or the high way. Oh well, no wonder this team is broken !!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000422736/Rice-The-read-option-is-hurting-the-49ers

I only just watched Harbaugh's Monday press conference, the guy just kept saying the team didn't play good enough football to win. To me, that will just add to the current disconnect with the players as mentioned by Jerry Rice.

The players are just not happy with this new pass-heavy dink-and-dunk offensive philosophy, all Harbaugh is saying is the players didn't play good enough. Something will have to give at some point. But, it looks like Harbaugh won't give a sh*t and will just carry on to force this new philosophy down the players' throats. Which means it will just continue to widen the current divide between the locker room and Harbaugh.

I don't know what to say anymore apart from if Harbaugh continues with his hardline policy with this new offensive philosophy, it may just ultimately lead to a path of self destruct and implosion of the entire team.
I think things are bad. I think the pressure is mounting and I think there is a LOT more going on behind the scenes than most of us think. I truly believe if we don't see a drastically different team next week, and if we loose in NO, we are looking at a 8-9 win season.
Yes
I remember not that long ago I use to be happy to be 4-4 at midseason. Oh how the expectations have changed .
they were not broken. the defense fought. the offense fought and went right down the field. they were 2 bonehead play calls away from pulling out a victory.

this team fought to the end and actually if not for the refs got it done TWICE

this is becoming ridiculous
when we win they're skeptical
when we lose it's automatically the team is broken
f**k out of here steve young
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
This is not good at all going into New Orleans.. Not good at all. I'm not as confident as I was yesterday..

you should be. it doesn't matter what people on the outside say. only the inside. none of these former 49ers have the pulse of this team so all of their words are opinions. to be taken into consideration but the team fought sunday. it always fights

last year we were 6-4 at week 10

this year we're 4-4 going into week 10

we can win out. and if this team approaches every game with the must win intensity i STILL believe we will get it done.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Injuredlife:
104 Passer Rating
67% Completion

In Buffalo

Please... How many games has Orton played this year? Who were his opponents (defensively)? How much pressure is he under with his O-Line? And how much film do defenses have on Orton playing in Doug Marrone's system?
Share 49ersWebzone