LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Steve Young's observation from field, "49ers looked broken" ..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Injuredlife:
Originally posted by SaksV:
Did someone just say Kyle Orton would be a more ideal QB for our team? I.......I....I just can't...

104 Passer Rating
67% Completion

In Buffalo
Sammy Watkins>Crabtree
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Sammy Watkins>Crabtree

Ya but who is their Boldin, Johnson, Davis, Gore, Hyde? Buffalo's leading rusher has 239 yards and is also their #2 pass catcher.

Hell it don`t matter as long as Uncle Cheesehead is calling the plays you will still have the same results, the problem is coaching.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
I went through the article. Interesting and dismaying. Here are quotes from Steve Young.

"I mean this is the best locker room in football. You know how much I kind of love studying locker rooms and guys that police and take care of business. They looked broken and I can't figure that out. I mean, they've had some injuries and they haven�€™t had injuries. Maybe this is a team that's not resilient enough to deal with injuries. But offensively they don't have that many injuries and they look lost. A lot of complaining, a lot of moaning coming off the field."

"Colin looks like, guys that really know what they're doing, their eyes are up," Young said. "Quarterbacks that aren't sure, their eyes come down. As soon as they get to the back of their drop, their eyes come down because they want to find out what's happening around them. They start to move. And that's what's happening to him."

"I was standing on the sideline yesterday. George Seifert, our old coach, was inducted into the 49er Hall of Fame. I stood right by the team," Young said on ESPN Radio in New York. "I remember calling to my security guy that I�€™ve known for years and years, Jeff Rodriguez. I said Jeff, something's wrong with these guys. There's a bad vibe. Guys on and off the field."

"There's really nothing to really put my finger on other than sometimes teams just get lost," Young said. "I walked away yesterday saying Boy, that team is not even close to what the teams they were the last couple years. Ready to take things on deep into January."

When I first heard about this article, I go the impression that young was talking about Kaepernick, but even though he specifically mentioned Kaepernick, he was not just talking about him.

Young was talking about the team, and that really is not good.

Something is amiss.

Maybe those articles everybody here called nonsense had some truth to them.

Good point.

I hate to say it, but I am beginning to think those articles might well have had more than a little truth in them.

I do not know but.....

Well, time will tell---maybe.
  • gotem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Sammy Watkins>Crabtree

Ya but who is their Boldin, Johnson, Davis, Gore, Hyde? Buffalo's leading rusher has 239 yards and is also their #2 pass catcher.

Which probably helps his completion percentage
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Even Baalke admits the 9ers are broken, that is how bad it is.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

Wait a minute. The headline said: GM Trent Baalke acknowledges 4-4 49ers are broken

Then we you actually read the transcript of the interview, the headline seems somewhat misleading.

Why do people look at the 49ers and say the team seems broken?

"When you're 4-4, there are some things broken. What I mean is, when you're 4-4 there are certain things you have to do better. The only thing we know how to correct it is to go back to work. You can't keep doing the same things over and over, can't keep making the same mistakes over and over. There's no room for error at this point. The separation between us and the division gets bigger with every lapse in our performance. Right now our backs are against the wall, and when backs are against the wall, you find out a lot about yourself."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/11/03/gm-trent-baalke-acknowledges-4-4-49ers-are-broken-defends-players-roman-ponders-youngstown-stay/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Baalke did not admit "that the 49ers are broken."

He said that when you are 4-4 there are "some things broken."

Some things does not = the 49ers.

Steve Young was talking about something completely different.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I never thought Alex would win a SB, and still don't. He isn't elite, he is an average QB, game manager, which isn't bad, but we need a playmaker, which he wasn't, Kap can be that guy.

Disagree. We have playmakers at every position. We no longer start Kyle Williams in Playoff games. We need a consistent leader at Quarterback to accurately distribute the football into the hands of our playmakers.

Carson Palmer, Kyle Orton & Alex Smith These would be ideal Quarterbacks for this current team.

Playing with the Alex Smith argument for a second:

Even if he was still here, the team would look a lot different. You really think we'd have Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, etc. if he was still our QB? It's been a year and half since the trade.

Besides, he's probably better off in KC than he'd ever be here regardless of talent.

If we want to keep CK, we have to improve the OL and running game big time. Then he can be a GREAT QB.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Playing with the Alex Smith argument for a second:

Even if he was still here, the team would look a lot different. You really think we'd have Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, etc. if he was still our QB? It's been a year and half since the trade.

Besides, he's probably better off in KC than he'd ever be here regardless of talent.

If we want to keep CK, we have to improve the OL and running game big time. Then he can be a GREAT QB.

You are implying those WRs came/allowed deals because Kaepernick was the QB?

We need a Dream Team for Kaepernick to be a Great QB? I cannot even remember the last NFL offense to contain as much talent as this one. 1998 Broncos?

Steve Young was not talking about talent. He seemed to be indicating that the spirit of the players was broken, that the players seemed lost.

Young was talking about a problem that has little, if anything, to do with talent.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
only great, great o-linemen can run block & pass block equally well. very few of those around. most of our guys are mauling, run blockers; and most of them can't deal with and dominate elite speed off the d-line. two different animals dominate run and pass blocking. can't have both unless you've lucked into some of them dudes.
we have to quit this rinky-dink pass 1st garbage; it's not who they are. line has to live by brute force, and gore and hyde have to muscle 1st downs, and kaep has to be who he is: a guy very capable of game-changing plays with his legs. forget this pocket crap--he has to move and pass and move and run--with alacrity.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
only great, great o-linemen can run block & pass block equally well. very few of those around. most of our guys are mauling, run blockers; and most of them can't deal with and dominate elite speed off the d-line. two different animals dominate run and pass blocking. can't have both unless you've lucked into some of them dudes.
we have to quit this rinky-dink pass 1st garbage; it's not who they are. line has to live by brute force, and gore and hyde have to muscle 1st downs, and kaep has to be who he is: a guy very capable of game-changing plays with his legs. forget this pocket crap--he has to move and pass and move and run--with alacrity.

we look broken this week so now there is a new week
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Wait a minute. The headline said: GM Trent Baalke acknowledges 4-4 49ers are broken

Then we you actually read the transcript of the interview, the headline seems somewhat misleading.

Why do people look at the 49ers and say the team seems broken?

"When you're 4-4, there are some things broken. What I mean is, when you're 4-4 there are certain things you have to do better. The only thing we know how to correct it is to go back to work. You can't keep doing the same things over and over, can't keep making the same mistakes over and over. There's no room for error at this point. The separation between us and the division gets bigger with every lapse in our performance. Right now our backs are against the wall, and when backs are against the wall, you find out a lot about yourself."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/11/03/gm-trent-baalke-acknowledges-4-4-49ers-are-broken-defends-players-roman-ponders-youngstown-stay/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Baalke did not admit "that the 49ers are broken."

He said that when you are 4-4 there are "some things broken."

Some things does not = the 49ers.

Steve Young was talking about something completely different.

I get that, what Baalke was talking about was more directly related to on-field performance, nevertheless he still openly admitted that "some things are broken". He didn't just brush it off by saying for example it was just bad execution that's all, so no worries, but rather it was in fact serious and bad enough for him to declare it indeed "some things are broken".

The point is once you combine both Baalke and Steve Young's definition of what is broken, what do you have ?

Broken on-field performance (could encompass anything from overall philosophy, game-planning, playcalling, coaching, execution, level of play of individuals as well as different components of the team such as O-line, QB and others) + Broken spirit (Steve Young's definition) = You have yourself a completely broken team (both physically and mentally)

Let's face it, the current situation is just plain bad. To me, it all stems from the change to this new pass-heavy spread offensive philosophy. It wouldn't matter so much if it was working even if the players didn't like the change, the problem is it is failing miserably. When you keep losing games, it does take a toll on the psyche of the players and when you compound that with a lack of buy-in on what the coaches are trying to do strategically and schematically, boy you have a massive issue in your hands.

Let's think about it for a moment, who isn't broken at the moment ? May be the defense perhaps as they are still doing a good job even with so many missing key pieces (such as Bo, Aldon and Dorsey). That leaves the offense which is basically what Steve Young was referring to. The O-line allowed 6 sacks just in the first half alone and 8 in total. The team couldn't move the ball at all (3 of 12, 25% on 3rd down), be it in terms of rushing or passing, that means the O-line could neither run block nor pass protect. So, yes no doubt the whole line is broken especially given what Joe Staley said after the game. Then you look at the RB corps, Frank had a total of 14 carries while Carlos Hyde only had 2 as compared to a total of 41 passes from Kap, so you better believe they are broken. You can read about it for yourself from Frank's interview in complaining about what the offense is doing in totality. The guy is essentially challenging the coaches they shouldn't be doing what they are currently doing in saying that is not what the 9ers' offense does best which he termed as lack of identity.

Anyway, whichever way you look at it, this 9ers team is broken and the problem is I can't see it getting any better anytime soon neither.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Well it's safe to visit Webzone again after a loss - normally take a couple of days to settle down.

There is most definitely somethign wrong with the offensive scheme and the offensive line. We're talking about this now, but I remember posting back in the Kap thread in 2013 that the OLine pass blocking was very poor and you could see it from week 2 vs Seattle and on to the Carolina home game. Even in the NFCCG our line could not pass block well at all and it was Kap's mobility and running threat thatkept us in the game.

More than that though, look at how all our running plays were blown up be Seattle in the NFCCG. There is somethign deeply wrong when Gore was getting tackled repeatedly behind the LOS. Although the run blocking has been better in general this year it has also beein inconsistent.

To my mind the problem lies with Roman, and has done for some time. These issues we see date right back to 2011 and Alex Smith getting sacked non stop because the OLine could not pass block. We went run heavy to offset that, but if 3 seasons later we still have the same pass blocking issues then the fault is clearly with coaching and scheme.

There are two defining characteristcs of this OLine over the years, we have been good to great at run blocking and average to abysmally poor at pass blocking. When we cannot get to a consistent level of play on pass blocking then the issue is the scheme, coaching and play calling philosophy. This is where Harbaugh's stubborness is costing him, and not only that if he verifies or changes the call from Roman, it tells me he doesn't have faith in the play calling. We get so many delay of game penalties because of this sytem - though some are on poor management by Kap trying to change the call once he sees protection - that there is something fundementally wrong on the offensive side of the ball.

Ka[p has made mistakes, and he was inaccurate this game, but to be a pocket passer you need a pocket and when you get sacked 8 times you're damn right he's throwing at pace and a little of target because he's expecting to be sacked every drop back. You can't pin that on any QB when there is no pocket and the pass rush is in the Qb's face inside 2 seconds. Our Oline are getting beat immediately off the snap far too often.

There's also no excuse for that empty set call on second and one in the first half when Kap has already been sacked 4 times. At that point anyone with a brain knows the OLine can't handle anything and when the defense sees that alignment they just pin their ears back. I mean setting up for a shot downfield when the OLine canot form a pcoket vs a 4 man rush???? There is no excuse or reason that justifies that.

That lack of situational play calling and football has haunted us for 4 seasons now with Roman and Jim in charge and it is fundementally unacceptable.

The only way I can see to fix this is to sack Solari and Roman, have Harbaugh make the calls while we bring a new Offenisve Coordinator in and then turn over full play calling to him. Unfortunately I suspect Harbaugh is too stubborn and loyal - loyalty is fine but it also has to be earned, and at this stage I seriously question if there is enough deserved to Solari or Roman based on their performances over the seasons.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
DEION WAS RIGHT!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
DEION WAS RIGHT!

Exactly. I always said Deion was legit, but everyone was saying screw this unnamed source BS, so there we have it.

The players don't like the new offensive philosophy, period !! And they are right cos we are playing like sh*t and losing.

Frank's comments are also legit. This is not the first time he is trying to save Harbaugh's as*. Remember during the NFCCG 2012 against the Falcons ? Remember when we got totally creamed by Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Julio Jones in the first half ? What happened then ? The camera showed Frank having a huge discussion with Harbaugh on the sideline. And what happened after that in the 2nd half ? We finally started running the football and it worked which by the way got us to the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story is we MUST stop this pass-heavy spread BS philosophy. We got to get back to pounding the rock with authority and big play action passing downfield mixed it with QB read option runs and scrambles.
Share 49ersWebzone