6th against the run--primary job of a 3 man line
2nd against the pass--rush seems to be adequate
22nd in pass rush--OLBs need to do a better job, not the DL
6th overall

Offense
20th in rushing
25th in passing
17th overall

I really don't see defense--line or backs--as a problem. Offense, however...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
The problem is offensive philosophy, the o line and the limitations with the man under center. It's a perfect storm of fail with this run blocking o line, Roman and Kaepernicks lack of a refined pocket game. All three need to "be fixed". Too many people deny or ignore third mentioned failed component of our offense. Post # 27 is spot on. The first person to quote him illustrates the refusal to acknowledge Kaps role in this.
[ Edited by Phil on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Main problem is that WE made Kaep bigger than he is... WE, the coaching staff, our media, even Jaworski was already labeling him of a "possible best ever".. this got into his head, and he became TV type of player, making stupid decisions and how he believes that he's hard work in the off season can buy him tickets out of his stupidity, such as wearing a Miami Dolphin hat... which is BS... because if that was any 3rd stringer, he woulda been cut... but our coaching staff did nothing but baby this kid, design plays that really is out of his game, giving him the medal of honor tho there was NO honor...

The last athlete, player, who had such a promotion... none other than BABY JORDAN... BABY BIRD... and MAGIC TWO!! and look what happened to them..
Failure either teaches you humility or you ignore it in arogance. I hope Kaepernick/Roman/Harbaugh are learning. Wonder what chant they had in the locker room? "Who's more depressed than us?" "Nobody!"
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Failure either teaches you humility or you ignore it in arogance. I hope Kaepernick/Roman/Harbaugh are learning. Wonder what chant they had in the locker room? "Who's more depressed than us?" "Nobody!"

Truth!!
... is that the core of this team is aging, and we haven't drafted their replacements...
Originally posted by teylo31:
I like mcdaniels as HC option

Again? How much tebow can you stand?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by teylo31:
I like mcdaniels as HC option

Again? How much tebow can you stand?

Kyle Shanahan. WCO. 49ers pedigree. Brian friggin Hoyer tearing it up in Cleveland.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
... is that the core of this team is aging, and we haven't drafted their replacements...

Two offensive starters and one defensive starter over the age of 30...not exactly old...but if you mean aging as in...every day you are older...then ya, they're aging.

I would guess that the only key guys close to retirement are Justin Smith (35), Anquan Boldin (34) and Frank Gore (31)...but all three are still playing at a very high level. As for replacements--that's a crap shoot until they actually step in and do the job...but J Smith = Carradine/Dial/, Boldin = Patton/Ellington, and Gore = Hyde.

So the team has tried to bring in replacements and some of these guys may work out but all three of these players are special...not easy to replace.

Two offensive starters and one defensive starter over the age of 30...not exactly old...but if you mean aging as in...every day you are older...then ya, they're aging.

I would guess that the only key guys close to retirement are Justin Smith (35), Anquan Boldin (34) and Frank Gore (31)...but all three are still playing at a very high level. As for replacements--that's a crap shoot until they actually step in and do the job...but J Smith = Carradine/Dial/, Boldin = Patton/Ellington, and Gore = Hyde.

So the team has tried to bring in replacements and some of these guys may work out but all three of these players are special...not easy to replace.

We probably could have had a better shot by drafting players who weren't injured.

Having no Aldon or Bow available to practice against the offense on scout teams before games could play a miniscule factor here. They are the only guys on our roster capable of consistent pass-rush, and are well skilled in technique similar to other top players at their position.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran

We probably could have had a better shot by drafting players who weren't injured.

Those players were first round pics if they weren't injured. Nobody in the draft would have challenged the current players to start. They (not including Lattimore ) will be starters soon to replace guys like Justin Smith etc. Also by signing someone who is injured and fell in the draft they are less expensive and you can hide them on your roster while they learn.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Bring in Mike Holmgren and dump Baalke. Bring in Mike Martz to be Kap's OC and you'll see a real pro style passing scheme. With these WRs, Martz would turn Kap into a 300+ yards per game passer with regularity.

Holm green as GM. No.

This x 1000000.....
  • buck
  • Veteran
Failure either teaches you humility or you ignore it in arogance.

I hope Kaepernick/Roman/Harbaugh are learning. Wonder what chant they had in the locker room? "Who's more depressed than us?" "Nobody!"

These are the only options, are they?

And I like the one that went something like: We are the 49ers, we can do what we want!

That does reek of arrogance, doesn't it.

Originally posted by buck:
These are the only options, are they?

And I like the one that went something like: We are the 49ers, we can do what we want!

That does reek of arrogance, doesn't it.

Not the only options...: "Failure teaches humility or you continue to live in ignorance."
Share 49ersWebzone