LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

The real problem with this years team.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think OL is the priority. The DL has been decent but the OL is a mess. The interior of the entire OL needs to be rebuilt.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
.. is that BAALKE wasted all the extra picks we had on players who we can't even think of now.. instead of moving up to target impact players, he traded and traded the picks in order to land athletes within his own meassurements..
  • Veteran
Here is the problem in my opinion. For the past several years we were a power running team. For whatever reason, we have shifted to an undefined offense zone concentrating on Kap's ability to move the offense all by himself. He is not an accurate passer nor reads the defenses quick enough to be effective. We have put all our hopes on this kid, and unfortunately Its not working.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Maybe we can revert back to power running. That is what our offensive line was drafted for and what we do best. Maybe if we go back we can be successful because Roman nor Kap know how to run an offense that features the pass.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Oline and dline were dominant in 2011 and 2012 with the same coaching staff and overall scheme. It's the players that is the issue.

Dominant? Not in pass protection, lol
the problem with the team this year is identity plain and simple, offensive to be exact. It seams the coaching staff has no idea what they want to do anymore. I think when Gore said" we need to make up our minds where we want to go", I personally think it was a call out to Harbs and Roman to figure out a full gameplan and stick with it, to recognize were a power run team with receiving threats. This half assed power run one possession to a terribly protected spread offense the next isnt gunna fool anyone.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think OL is the priority. The DL has been decent but the OL is a mess. The interior of the entire OL needs to be rebuilt.

Big time. I am done with Iupati and Boone. Good run blockers, craptastic pass blockers. I am willing to take a downtick in run blocking for an uptick in pass blocking for the sake of developing Kap. He is going to learn some very poor habits with regards to the internal clock in his head if this piss poor protection continues. He needs to feel somewhat comfortable in the pocket as he dropping back.

MMartin is a lock as the future Center (I think). BThomas is an unknown. Not impressed with Looney. Not sure Kilgore can play guard. Maybe Kilgore at Center and MMartin at guard? Either way, the 49ers need to draft another interior Oline prospect to compete with BThomas and hopefully replace Boone.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
the problem with the team this year is identity plain and simple, offensive to be exact. It seams the coaching staff has no idea what they want to do anymore. I think when Gore said" we need to make up our minds where we want to go", I personally think it was a call out to Harbs and Roman to figure out a full gameplan and stick with it, to recognize were a power run team with receiving threats. This half assed power run one possession to a terribly protected spread offense the next isnt gunna fool anyone.

Yeah..Once again I believe Harbs and Roman f**ked up in the offseason. Kinda like last year when they probably worked the hell out of read option only to find out everybody had it figured out. Once that happened the offense struggled. But we had excuses like "blah blah blah such and such is injured".

Now they spent the whole offseason thinking they can do everything and anything from drive to drive. They wanna be able to spread you out one drive and run it down your throat he next. I do believe we have the personnel to do this, but not the OC. Roman does not know how to playcall a rhythmic passing game (or any game for that matter). And even if he does get some rhythm we usually get a penalty or a dropped pass to make sure things go downhill. So given that he can't really call a decent passing game and/or our players pick the worst times to screw up, we need to go back to just a basic power running team and figure things out in the offseason (fire roman and every other offensive coach).
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Where to begin...........
i believe this team can have a fairly dynamic passing attack, but not if we dont mix the threat of gore running, and kap running in the same drives.

Defensive line has nothing to do with why the 49ers are struggling.
The real problem with this year's team:

1. Coaching (and players' lost of trust in it)
2. Kaepernick (league has him figured out and he can't adapt; awful at finding receivers and awareness in the pocket)
3. Offensive line

It's broken folks. The honeymoon is over. Nobody's heads or hearts are in it anymore.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Defensive line has nothing to do with why the 49ers are struggling.

Can't stop the run and cannot get to the qb in time allowing the qb to find receivers breaking open. No not at all. Look at game tape from 2011 and 2012. The dline was essentially run off of J.Smith. Since he had gotten hurt during the Patriots game it has slowly crumbled. Look at yesterday for example. He was essentially handled by a rookie. Oline is the major problem!
[ Edited by MarkD on Nov 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
The real problem with this year's team:

1. Coaching (and players' lost of trust in it)
2. Kaepernick (league has him figured out and he can't adapt; awful at finding receivers and awareness in the pocket)
3. Offensive line

It's broken folks. The honeymoon is over. Nobody's heads or hearts are in it anymore.

I'm convinced Harbaugh has 9 toes out the door. There is no accountability, Harbaugh's tired ass stories and rah rah are falling on deaf ears. Players know there are problems are they are expecting adjustments but there are none. Just a bunch of empty promises and no passion.

Time for a complete overhaul. Thanks Jim, it was good while it lasted but yes, the honeymoon is over. Part of the blame goes to Baalke. He's tried to be too cute drafting players that are injured. Hasn't worked for Lattimore. Sure would love to have a healthy Thomas at guard to plug in at guard right now. Tank? God knows but this was a waste of a high draft choice.

So basically it's a mess that nobody wants to fix.
Originally posted by thl408:
Big time. I am done with Iupati and Boone. Good run blockers, craptastic pass blockers. I am willing to take a downtick in run blocking for an uptick in pass blocking for the sake of developing Kap. He is going to learn some very poor habits with regards to the internal clock in his head if this piss poor protection continues. He needs to feel somewhat comfortable in the pocket as he dropping back.

MMartin is a lock as the future Center (I think). BThomas is an unknown. Not impressed with Looney. Not sure Kilgore can play guard. Maybe Kilgore at Center and MMartin at guard? Either way, the 49ers need to draft another interior Oline prospect to compete with BThomas and hopefully replace Boone.

This, I want to see more balance on the OL. I think Staley and Davis are fine at the tackle spots but the interior is a train wreck. Maybe Martin is the guy who can do well at C, that remains to be seen, but Iupati can walk for all I care, he's a dominant run blocker and an iffy pass blocker, if he was going to improve in the latter, it would have happened by now. Boone's holding out ass can get traded for a few boxes of sneakers. Thomas should definitely get a shot at guard, as well as Looney, maybe even Kilgore and I would not be upset if they dropped a high draft pick on a guy like Vadal Alexander of LSU who is a beastly run blocker but can also pass block well or later on, someone like Laken Tomlinson of Duke.

If they can get the interior sorted out, better balance, better pass blocking, than they could be a much better looking unit next season.
Share 49ersWebzone