LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

The real problem with this years team.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The real problem with this years team is the line play on both sides of the ball. A decent and organized oline should be able to pick up a blitz. On the flip side the dline used to be able to get to the quarter back with 4. Now we can't, even if we bring more than 4. We can't stop the run and teams play action off that. We need to rebuild the lines its obvious. It is not a play calling issue because their are people open. Kap doesn't have time to throw. We can't run anymore so we are a one dimensional team.
  • rrx1
  • Veteran
Is the front office. We were all under the false impression on the depth of this roster. The truth is, we've gotten a bunch of red-shirted college players that have done nothing but take up roster spots. Lattimore is done, Carradine can't sniff the field and might not be far behind, O-Line has no real depth or continuity.
The defense is fine. We are missing half the D including 3 pro bowlers and our best pass rusher. We are holding up pretty well on D considering. the O-line is another story. It has been very dissapointing. Davis being hurt. Boone holding out. Kilgore is hurt. Staley and Iupati have been banged up a bit. I don't know what they could do if they were healthy but they looked pathetic against the Rams.

Some people are talking about drafting Wr's and TE's next draft but I think we should draft linemen with our 1st 2 picks.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The defense is fine. We are missing half the D including 3 pro bowlers and our best pass rusher. We are holding up pretty well on D considering. the O-line is another story. It has been very dissapointing. Davis being hurt. Boone holding out. Kilgore is hurt. Staley and Iupati have been banged up a bit. I don't know what they could do if they were healthy but they looked pathetic against the Rams.

Some people are talking about drafting Wr's and TE's next draft but I think we should draft linemen with our 1st 2 picks.

It won't matter if we don't draft the right players to fit the scheme. If Mike Solari somehow still has his job, we need to get players who fit a zone blocking scheme, which is what he employs and something our current line isn't built for.
Bring in Mike Holmgren and dump Baalke. Bring in Mike Martz to be Kap's OC and you'll see a real pro style passing scheme. With these WRs, Martz would turn Kap into a 300+ yards per game passer with regularity.
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:52 AM ]
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Bring in Mike Holmgren and dump Baalke. Bring in Mike Martz to be Kap's OC and you'll see a real pro style passing scheme. With these WRs, Martz would turn Kap into a 300+ yards per game passer with regularity.

Holm green as GM. No.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Oline and dline were dominant in 2011 and 2012 with the same coaching staff and overall scheme. It's the players that is the issue.
Originally posted by English:

Holm green as GM. No.

And to add Martz as OC. Kap would get killed.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran

WTF??????
I like mcdaniels as HC option

Originally posted by rrx1:
Is the front office. We were all under the false impression on the depth of this roster. The truth is, we've gotten a bunch of red-shirted college players that have done nothing but take up roster spots. Lattimore is done, Carradine can't sniff the field and might not be far behind, O-Line has no real depth or continuity.

If you thought we had depth, there's not much I can say to you.

Legendary run defense that gives up zero rushing TDs until Larry Grant comes in. And people hailed him as the greatest backup we ever had.

We've never had defensive depth. We had backups. You want depth, look at the seahawks DL. Or the Giants DL during their SB run.
curse of Brian Jennings

Originally posted by MarkD:

WTF??????

well played my man...well played.
Kyle Shanahan is the next 49ers HC.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
Oline and dline were dominant in 2011 and 2012 with the same coaching staff and overall scheme. It's the players that is the issue.

The scheme, at least offensively, is no where near the same.
Share 49ersWebzone