There are 198 users in the forums

Do you believe Colin Kaepernick is the answer at QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe Colin Kaepernick is the answer at QB?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
When your OL gives up 8 sacks, it's tough to judge anyone behind center.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
He is who we thought he was... an athletic kid with a cannon arm. He'd be a better WR than QB.

He has never had touch, and you can't teach that. And you can't rely on your cannon to get the job done, right Jay Cutler?

He needs to utilize the checkdown. He needs to manage a game. If he can't successfully manage a game, how can he go out and "just play?"

He's better than a bunch of NFL QBs, and he may even win a SB with the personnel around him. But he's not a true long term answer.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... this choking at the last second with the game on the line thing is becoming a trend.

How many of these last second losses, albeit on Kap, have been due to a questionable call though? Basically the majority of Kap's "chokes" have been, sans the NFCCG last year.

I disagree. Each of the plays have fallen directly on Kap. Go back and watch the plays... the "big games" both had him locking on to Crabtree with other options wide open. This one he can't even hold on to the ball.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents. I'm not gonna get into a Kap debate.

In the Super Bowl, if you recall, Kap had less than 2.5 seconds to throw it and basically threw a fade pass to Crabtree because our offensive line allowed a blitzing right up the gut, in Kap's face, unblocked. What was Kap supposed to do then? Truck him in his backward drop? And if you also recall, there's a very questionable no call that still tastes bitter in most our mouths that even Sports Science has even proved was a catchable ball had the Ravens' defender not mugged Crabtree past five yards in the endzone.

Last year in the NFCCG? Which I'm pretty sure you're basing most, if not all, of your assumptions on, yes, is 100% on Kap. It's been analyzed countless times. He had Patton wide open in the flat for an easy first down and could've stopped the clock.

Today? Perhaps we're considering Kap a "chokeartist" because of the fumble at the end of the game. Not much has been said about the fact that the snap was not clean as Marcus Martin, a rookie in his first game action, not only didn't snap it clean to Kap, but literally had no push to give Kap room to move. As Kap bobbled the ball in order to hold onto it clean, he crossed the goalline just as he fumbled. But that's on Kap, right? Not on the center. Not on the OC or the offensive line doing a poor job blocking. That's on Kap.

Oh, not to mention, the Refs took points off the board for us three times yesterday. But the Refs had zero involvement in the outcome of the game either.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
So, "getting it done" means losing? Because, I mean, both of Wilson's 400+ yard games have been losses whereas both of Kap's 400+ yard games have been wins.

I honestly fail to see your logic.

Nevermind, we will never agree. You can take Kap and I will take Wilson. Bottom line is all down to poise and Kap panics when the going gets tough especially when there is no run game to help him out whereas Wilson can keep a cool head and make things happen.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I believe he just flat out lacks elite level field vision and that is something that hard work will only take you so far on. Some guys just see the field better than others and process what they see faster. Kind of like quick reflexes, some people are cat like quick like Muhammad Ali, some are much slower like George Foreman. No amount of training or practice is going to make George Foreman like Ali. Kaepernick runs into a lot of sacks, also you will rarely see he step up in the pocket to avoid edge rushers he will just run left or right. A lot of time he holds the ball too long, you don't see him getting passes off constantly just past the 2 second mark. With poor field vision standing in his way he may already be maxed out as far as development is concerned. His elite physical tools are only going to carry him so far and that leaves him at around average.
He is who we thought he was... an athletic kid with a cannon arm. He'd be a better WR than QB.

He has never had touch, and you can't teach that. And you can't rely on your cannon to get the job done, right Jay Cutler?

He needs to utilize the checkdown. He needs to manage a game. If he can't successfully manage a game, how can he go out and "just play?"

He's better than a bunch of NFL QBs, and he may even win a SB with the personnel around him. But he's not a true long term answer.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... this choking at the last second with the game on the line thing is becoming a trend.

How many of these last second losses, albeit on Kap, have been due to a questionable call though? Basically the majority of Kap's "chokes" have been, sans the NFCCG last year.

I disagree. Each of the plays have fallen directly on Kap. Go back and watch the plays... the "big games" both had him locking on to Crabtree with other options wide open. This one he can't even hold on to the ball.

In the Super Bowl, if you recall, Kap had less than 2.5 seconds to throw it and basically threw a fade pass to Crabtree because our offensive line allowed a blitzing right up the gut, in Kap's face, unblocked. What was Kap supposed to do then? Truck him in his backward drop? And if you also recall, there's a very questionable no call that still tastes bitter in most our mouths that even Sports Science has even proved was a catchable ball had the Ravens' defender not mugged Crabtree past five yards in the endzone.

Last year in the NFCCG? Which I'm pretty sure you're basing most, if not all, of your assumptions on, yes, is 100% on Kap. It's been analyzed countless times. He had Patton wide open in the flat for an easy first down and could've stopped the clock.

Today? Perhaps we're considering Kap a "chokeartist" because of the fumble at the end of the game. Not much has been said about the fact that the snap was not clean as Marcus Martin, a rookie in his first game action, not only didn't snap it clean to Kap, but literally had no push to give Kap room to move. As Kap bobbled the ball in order to hold onto it clean, he crossed the goalline just as he fumbled. But that's on Kap, right? Not on the center. Not on the OC or the offensive line doing a poor job blocking. That's on Kap.

Oh, not to mention, the Refs took points off the board for us three times yesterday. But the Refs had zero involvement in the outcome of the game either.

Yea, I see your point.

But it all came down to a QB Sneak. That's pretty telling to me. That's all I'm saying. There were a million reasons why we might not have won the game, but in the end, it all came down to a QB Sneak, and the QB part of that play didn't get the job done. And it's becoming a trend. That's all.

It really just comes down to me wanting a different type of game to be played here, and he doesn't fit the scheme I want. No big deal.
Guys. Seriously.

our offensive line allowed pressure on just about every dropback, from every angle. I don't blame Kap for anything that happened today. Look at the numbers, they don't lie...

he had a decent game except where he's hit on just about every play. Tell me where there is a QB right now who is succeeding with an offensive line allowing as much pressure as we are. There isn't. Period.

You cannot succeed when you have no time to make reads, and set to make throws.

Dont throw this all on Kap because we lost to the rams.

You all know Kap is our QB.
For those that believe that Kap is not the answer at QB (and right now, it's a healthy 61%) of you, I have a simple question. Do you believe that Colin Kaepernick is receiving quality coaching? If you think the answer is yes, then Kap may not be the guy. But if you are like me (and the majority of people on this board) that strongly feel that Kap is NOT receiving quality coaching, how can you know whether or not Kap is the guy? Alex Smith looked like he didn't even belong in the league as a starter for quite some type because of bad coaching. Kap may have his limitations, but we can all admit that we see very few adjustments on the coaching side to basic things defense do against us. Is Kap erratic and inconsistent? Yes he is at times. How does that stop Greg Roman from calling for more quick passes, ensuring Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde are more involved in the passing game, and having a hot read? This team has a ridiculous amount of talent on offense and Greg Roman (and possibly Jim Harbaugh) struggle to put together a consistently AVERAGE offense.

Kap may not be where he needs to be at this point, but I put it more on him than the coaching. It seems we have the best defensive staff in the league matched by a totally incompetent offensive staff. It's maddening. I'd like for Jim Harbaugh to remain, but only if Greg Roman, Solari, and the WR coach are gone. Anyone notice that Fangio can lose almost half of his defensive starters and still get decent performances from his D most of the time? The question is, is Jim Harbaugh the answer IF he refuses to accept the obvious and let Roman go.

***I will say that I am board with drafting a QB high, if for nothing else having a quality backup behind Kap.***
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:02 AM ]

The Championship game was all on Kap. You just don't throw a jump ball against an all pro CB on 1st down with the game on the line and hope your receiver wins. Hit your open receiver on the other side of the field.

This fumble is on Kap as well. We had a rookie center. Kap new that coming in. If you don't have the ball secured then secure it. If that means you don't get in the endzone so be it. We kick the FG and go to overtime. That being said he had a better game than our O-line did. If the refs didn't blow the call he threw a TD pass on 1st down to Crabtree and we shouldn't have had to run the 3rd down sneak when he fumbled.

Kap is still a work in progress. He has a rocket arm and is a great runner and athlete but he is still learning the mental aspects of the game and the management apsects of being a pro QB. He will get better and it is rediculous to think we are likely to find a better QB. Anything is possible but it is not likely. If the team does it's job we can win a Superbowl with him at QB.

Most teams missing as many players as we are would be lucky to have 1 or 2 wins.
f**king really guys? Ready to crucify him already.

I'm pissed too, trust me, but great dynamic QBs don't just grow on trees.

Let's give Kap a chance to redeem himself. In spite of the "he's never really ever been that good" crowd, he's done some pretty damn impressive things for us.

Let's not break out the torches and pitchforks after a couple bad games.
[ Edited by swayze on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:41 AM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
When your OL gives up 8 sacks, it's tough to judge anyone behind center.

Totally agree. Also add the mystifying playcalls. Why they don't run Gore/Hyde at the goaline, I'm still wondering. They never hardly run QB sneeks and you choose to do that with the game on the line? I would have attempted a gore up the middle run and if that doesn't work, call a TO and kick the FG to go to OT and take your chances there.
[ Edited by Baldie on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:45 AM ]

The added pain of losing SB47 is that we could have had all of these same exact Kaepernick discussions last year and this year and preface it with:

"But hey, at least we won a super bowl with him!!"

Same could have applied to Alex too had things gone differently in the 2011 NFCC.

The most challenging part in all of this is that we are too attached to what's comfortable and safe. I believe had we won the bowl, it would have been much easier to get rid of Roman last year when the team would inevitably have struggled, Crabtree hurt or not. There's some inherent risk to getting rid of Roman otherwise it would have been done a long time ago.

The upside is most likely there but the fact that there's still a small chance things could get worse means management probably won't risk it.

The Ravens blew their team up last year and it appears as if after one year of looking like crap they are close to what they once were.

We're in a bit of purgatory.....for at least the remainder of this season.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
The added pain of losing SB47 is that we could have had all of these same exact Kaepernick discussions last year and this year and preface it with:

"But hey, at least we won a super bowl with him!!"

Same could have applied to Alex too had things gone differently in the 2011 NFCC.

The most challenging part in all of this is that we are too attached to what's comfortable and safe. I believe had we won the bowl, it would have been much easier to get rid of Roman last year when the team would inevitably have struggled, Crabtree hurt or not. There's some inherent risk to getting rid of Roman otherwise it would have been done a long time ago.

The upside is most likely there but the fact that there's still a small chance things could get worse means management probably won't risk it.

The Ravens blew their team up last year and it appears as if after one year of looking like crap they are close to what they once were.

We're in a bit of purgatory.....for at least the remainder of this season.

Well Harbs is not making a good case for himself for a contract extension after the season. All signs and reports that I've read says he's gone. Maybe he knows it and the players know it so maybe their not playing their hearts out, at least some of them. The playcalling could be a part of that too.
Fumbling on the one inch line is epic. Herman Edwards epic. Even if he's stopped, call a time out and get the game in OT.

SOmetimes, doing things like this change you. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong call, wrong result.

But, I'm more concerned with 3x to Crabs. Hope that is on Roman, not Kap.

And the 8 sacks, several of which were on Kap.

Short answer, Kap is not looking like the answer -- not growing fast enough.
  • rrx1
  • Veteran
There is no better alternative for us - so yes, Kaepernick is the answer. Would you guys rather see Blaine Gabbert or some 3rd string/practice squad QB out there? The trade deadline has passed. The only way we get another QB is via a street free agent, poach some other team's practice squad player, or wait for another team to make a cut of their 3rd string QB.

Our O-line is sucking it up. Fix that or minimize their exposure (scheme) and Kaep will be fine.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Kap is alright, we just have to get the OL fixed.
Share 49ersWebzone