LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Offensive Line Shake up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our offensive line is a bigger mess than it's being credited for. -You have a rookie center on his first couple of starts mid-season, a rust-laden hold-out boone, a constantly injured Iupati, and a guy who hasn't technically started at full speed since the NFC Championship (A.Davis).

So literally, we're looking at a preseason offensive line in terms of chemistry, and they're being asked to do things they don't normally do in pass-protection ("aka dumb schemes"). Pure recipe for inconsistency, penalties, mental errors, and a s**tload of sacks.

It's no surprise our offense is this bad right now.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
stubborn

doesn't matter if the s**t doesn't work doesn't matter if a change will work the offensive message continues to be we're going to attempt to do something that probably isn't the smartest thing we're going to continue to not do what would probably give us a win because we want to be the smartest person in the room and we want to win how we want to win not how we could easily win.

can't even be frustrated anymore at this point. jim harbaugh must love losing like this and must love doing the same thing over and having the same result and must love being able to look at multiple people who wouldn't have a job without him and be thanked by them though they are ruining his chance of achieving a super bowl win.

You hit the nail on the head - F'n Stubborn.
Originally posted by jreff22:
The best OL we had is out for the year. Kilgore will be missed and I hope he gets his job back next year.

Yes sir - he was playing at a more consistent level than anyone else on the loine.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
This is so pathetic....

O-Line Rankings After Week 9

San Francisco 49ers

22nd in run blocking

31st in pass protection

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
This is so pathetic....

San Francisco 49ers

22th in run blocking

31th in pass protection

22th? 31th?
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
PFF: Line ranked from best (1) to worst (32)

Sacks allowed: 27
Hits allowed: 1 (could be our mobile QB )
Hurries: 23
Total pressure allowed: 21
PBE (Pass Blocking Efficiency): 26
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by DeUh:
This is so pathetic....

San Francisco 49ers

22nd in run blocking

31st in pass protection

22th? 31th?

Lol wrote that on my phone. Not sure what happened.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Film Breakdwon: 49ers Offensive Line Has Plenty Of Fingerprints On Offensive Woes

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/11/5/7159495/49ers-offensive-line-has-plenty-of-fingerprints-on-offensive-woes
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
PFF: Line ranked from best (1) to worst (32)

Sacks allowed: 27
Hits allowed: 1 (could be our mobile QB )
Hurries: 23
Total pressure allowed: 21
PBE (Pass Blocking Efficiency): 26

PFF has some good stuff

• thl408
Can anyone here provide input on why the 49ers Olinemen are struggling at the lowest level of detail? I'm not talking about stats, or rankings, or ratings. I'm talking about technique. Waist bend, knee bend, hand battles, feet, balance. Things like that. I understans that each of the Olineman may be struggling at different areas. Basically, someone call out Solari for things he is or isn't teaching the linemen to do. Also, I don't believe that the Oline is not physically strong enough to handle their assignments, yet they seem to get overpowered, not recognize stunts/blitzes until it's too late.

Originally posted by thl408:
Can anyone here provide input on why the 49ers Olinemen are struggling at the lowest level of detail? I'm not talking about stats, or rankings, or ratings. I'm talking about technique. Waist bend, knee bend, hand battles, feet, balance. Things like that. I understans that each of the Olineman may be struggling at different areas. Basically, someone call out Solari for things he is or isn't teaching the linemen to do. Also, I don't believe that the Oline is not physically strong enough to handle their assignments, yet they seem to get overpowered, not recognize stunts/blitzes until it's too late.

Thought about this quite a bit and I think they are being asked to change or add to their repetoire and it's slowing down their reaction time. That's what usually slowed me down...having to think rather than react...hesitation kills!

I asked earlier in a post whether the coaches are asking too much of the team and the learning curve is muddled, players lose confidence in the system or changes and it makes matters worse. Add in a rookie center, a late joiner in Boone, injured Davis, injured Iupati...just a merging of all kinds of bad stuff!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM ]
dallas seems to get it. the years they won the superbowl, they had the best OLine in football. Anyone could have run behind that line. And now it looks like they geared that way up again this year. Think the Niners will actually get some help on OLine? Without that, Kap will have no chance. Remember Steve Young's final year? He spent it running for his life with that horrible line, so even he had no chance.

This is a great question b/c even Staley "alluded" to it as well. I watched Boone at RG get shoved all the way back and planted on his ass five yards deep behind Staley at LT. And it's the entire OL too...every single one of them is getting beat with power, quickness, lack of peripheral vision (Davis looking inside and letting his man run clean past him for a 2-second sack), assignments, etc. One thing that stands out to me is that A.Davis, Martin and even Boone look fat, lazy and totally out of shape (more, the former two than Boone though...although he STILL seems out of shape to me as well just based on his p***yness and lack of fight). I'm not even seeing these guys take responsibility or helping CK get up anymore...there is no passion, no drive, no desire, etc. It just seems like they are going through the motions (if that). Something has to be up. And the fact that a coaching staff is letting a 100M QB get blasted like that over and over and over with no personnel changes? How does an ENTIRE OL regress THAT quickly?
You want a shake up? Wait until your least favorite OL has a concussion and is then shipped off to Kansas City where he plays like a 300 lb Harris Barton. OLxcuses.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

We need WRATH in here.
Share 49ersWebzone