There are 167 users in the forums

Offensive Line Shake up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's no way you have 5 guys regress and not think coaching is the center of that. Solari and Roman should be gone but Harbaugh might stick to his loyalty and let these guys drag him down with them. I'd rather have Harbaugh or Rathman call the plays even Chryst. Don't know who you would bring in to replace Solari don't tihnk we have a 2nd OL coach anymore. For all I care Tomsula can do it can't be worse. Maybe give Drevno big bucks to come back if he really had that great of affect on these guys.
Originally posted by matt49er:
@JohnMiddlekauff 29m29 minutes ago
"Penalties, dumb blocks, dumb techniques and dumb schemes. We played like sh't" - Joe Staley postgame, Shot at the Off coaches?

It's the coaching people! Young, very good players don't just fall off a cliff, Roman can't figure out what scheme he wants to run, his mind is boggled given all our offensive weapons right now & he can't compute. The answer is the team needs to go back to power run offense, once the run is established, use a little spread formation but 3 WRs, utilize the backup receivers by having them sub in for each other etc.

It can't be...our coaches are infallible!
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
I agree, Staley needs to be sent a message. He was been hot garbage out there, just awful. He has regressed like I never imagined. Cut this bum tomorrow morning.

Very ignorant statement. Staley is still our best OL.

An offensive linemen can't see where the QB is. He must protect as if the QB is in the pocket. As soon as the QB is flushed from the pocket... or if there is no pocket, all protection on the outside will break down.

Iupati and Boone are the hot garbage. There pass blocking has been pathetic all season. Kap has rarely had a pocket to step up into. He's always on the run because these guys in the middle are getting beat left and right.

I am shocked that Looney hasn't been moved into the starting lineup.
I am lmao some people were still calling this the best OL in the league earlier this year

do people even watch the games

although I don't blame anyone for not watching
[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM ]
It's coaching. It's play calling and it's personel. We were moving the ball running and throwing short passes when Kap takes a sack dancing in the pocket and then fumbles a shotgun snap and no points. We were in FG position 1st and ten and driving. How come we seldom get to throw the ball to the security valve? The offensive line was terrible today but as a coach you have to adjust. You can keep 2 backs in to block and then let them release as security outlets if not needed to block. You can chip the outside rushers. You can throw screen passes. You can call quick routes. We played right in to their hands until the end of the game when it was too late.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
It's coaching. It's play calling and it's personel. We were moving the ball running and throwing short passes when Kap takes a sack dancing in the pocket and then fumbles a shotgun snap and no points. We were in FG position 1st and ten and driving. How come we seldom get to throw the ball to the security valve? The offensive line was terrible today but as a coach you have to adjust. You can keep 2 backs in to block and then let them release as security outlets if not needed to block. You can chip the outside rushers. You can throw screen passes. You can call quick routes. We played right in to their hands until the end of the game when it was too late.

how dare you talk such nonsense, we are the 49ers we can do whatever we want

MORE JUMBO MORE BLOCKERS GEOMETRY FTW
Poor execution by the players the O-line was terrible Staley and Boone were horrendous deserved to lose
I was at the game; had incredible seats right behind the 9'ers bench. Was within spitting disrance of some of my heroes, incl Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson and Dwight Hicks. Actually met Hicks in the bathroom, but suggested we not shake hands. LOL. Nicest guy and very gracious. First time at the new stadium. A very cool place. Congrats to Boldin for 900 plus catches. That's it for the positives.

O-line was horrible! No running lanes and piss-poor pass protection. Wasn't this considered one of the best just a year or two ago? I always thought it was overrrated, but this was ridiculous! Don't know what the answer is and whether it's in existing personnel, but SOMETHING'S gotta change. That's evident. And granted, his O-line was of no help, but even when he had time, Kap, yet again, was inconsistent, to put it kindly. Even when we were almost handed a win on a silver platter, there at the end, with those interference calls, we still found a way to blow it. Yet again, playing down to the level of the competition. Came away disgusted. Sorry, no other way to put it. The defense can't be bailing out the offense indefinitely and sadly, I don't see it turning around any time soon, especially now that the added help from Lattimore may be an unanswered wish and Kap continuing his up and down ways. And oh yeah, another drop by the guy with "the best hands (Harbaugh's) ever seen. When is Harbaugh going to start playing LLoyd and Johnson more than Crabtree?

Can you tell I'm pissed? That stretch back at our goal line withn the false starts and shanked punt said it all! Ok, I'm done. Drained, frustrated and disgusted at what I witnessed, and anyone who can put a good spin on that fiasco must not have witnessed the same debacle I did. Didn't talk to a single person who didn't feel the same way.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I was at the game; had incredible seats right behind the 9'ers bench. Was within spitting disrance of some of my heroes, incl Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson and Dwight Hicks. Actually met Hicks in the bathroom, but suggested we not shake hands. LOL. Nicest guy and very gracious. First time at the new stadium. A very cool place. Congrats to Boldin for 900 plus catches. That's it for the positives.

O-line was horrible! No running lanes and piss-poor pass protection. Wasn't this considered one of the best just a year or two ago? I always thought it was overrrated, but this was ridiculous! Don't know what the answer is and whether it's in existing personnel, but SOMETHING'S gotta change. That's evident. And granted, his O-line was of no help, but even when he had time, Kap, yet again, was inconsistent, to put it kindly. Even when we were almost handed a win on a silver platter, there at the end, with those interference calls, we still found a way to blow it. Yet again, playing down to the level of the competition. Came away disgusted. Sorry, no other way to put it. The defense can't be bailing out the offense indefinitely and sadly, I don't see it turning around any time soon, especially now that the added help from Lattimore may be an unanswered wish and Kap continuing his up and down ways. And oh yeah, another drop by the guy with "the best hands (Harbaugh's) ever seen. When is Harbaugh going to start playing LLoyd and Johnson more than Crabtree?

Can you tell I'm pissed? That stretch back at our goal line withn the false starts and shanked punt said it all! Ok, I'm done. Drained, frustrated and disgusted at what I witnessed, and anyone who can put a good spin on that fiasco must not have witnessed the same debacle I did. Didn't talk to a single person who didn't feel the same way.

relax friend, we're the 49ers we can do whatever we want
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by matt49er:
@JohnMiddlekauff 29m29 minutes ago
"Penalties, dumb blocks, dumb techniques and dumb schemes. We played like sh't" - Joe Staley postgame, Shot at the Off coaches?

It's the coaching people! Young, very good players don't just fall off a cliff, Roman can't figure out what scheme he wants to run, his mind is boggled given all our offensive weapons right now & he can't compute. The answer is the team needs to go back to power run offense, once the run is established, use a little spread formation but 3 WRs, utilize the backup receivers by having them sub in for each other etc.

Wow. I actually have some extra respect for Staley on this one...that's pretty telling esp. given the game he had as well! We were running well with Miller out in front leading the way against the 31st ranked defense against the run and then abandon it...again. No wonder Fischer was so excited to play us today! We played right into the only hand they had!

Saw the Staley comments and he surprised me by mentioning dumb scheme. He's usually more politically correct but he is a leader of the line as the oldest vet, so perhaps this represents the attitude of most of the line. I think there is a schism between the WRs and Kaepernick, who want to pass more, and the line and Gore who want to continue to use the power run game. This wouldn't be unusual...most teams have some divisiveness over this. Gore and kaepernick doing after game pressers together, before today, may have been an attempt to bridge this divide.

They couldn't run against the Rams in the first game (89 yards, 3.0 per carry). Today they had 3.8 per carry but only ran 21 times. At no time were the niners playing from way behind so there is no reason for the Rams to be able to pass rush like that. If they stuck with that 3.8 yards and ran the ball down the Rams throat...maybe they would have scored another four points!

Would, coulda, shoulda...LOL!

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
A couple moves need to be taken right now. 1st I would bench staley, man this guy is terrible! Move Boone to left tackle and move iupati to rg, boone's spot. Keep the rookie in at center I know he can't play any worse then he did today, but this was his first game starting in the NFL. At left guard I would put Joe Looney in at left guard. Well this is the best we got, Man we need some new lineman.

How about instead of the boone love we send him to the bench because he's been horrible this entire season. I'd switch Staley an A.Davis. Davis was projected to be a LT before we drafted him. Bring in Looney see what happens. I think the biggest thing missing this year from years past was the extra protection we used to have with TE's or an extra Olinemen. Where did these empty backfield plays come from because they are honestly backfiring and killing us.
I'm amazed that nobody in in herer talking about the o line after what we say yesterday. Instead it's Colin, coaching , and are the wr's overrated. They very well could be a problme but right now the biggest issue on this team is the o line went from top 5 to bottom 5 in terms of pass and run blocking.

Davis doesn't have his quickness. Staley and Boone are just getting manhandled. Martin was totally over matched. Iupati has been below average most of the year.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
A couple moves need to be taken right now. 1st I would bench staley, man this guy is terrible! Move Boone to left tackle and move iupati to rg, boone's spot. Keep the rookie in at center I know he can't play any worse then he did today, but this was his first game starting in the NFL. At left guard I would put Joe Looney in at left guard. Well this is the best we got, Man we need some new lineman.

How about instead of the boone love we send him to the bench because he's been horrible this entire season. I'd switch Staley an A.Davis. Davis was projected to be a LT before we drafted him. Bring in Looney see what happens. I think the biggest thing missing this year from years past was the extra protection we used to have with TE's or an extra Olinemen. Where did these empty backfield plays come from because they are honestly backfiring and killing us.

I think the 5 wide thign came out about when it's apparent they can't run block. Going 5 wide gives CK easy reads when the o line can actually block. I wanted more 3wr sets over 2te sets but this 5 wide s**t is outta hand. Like Gore said after the game the offensive philosophy of this team is lost and that's all on coaching. But these players still aren't performing.
It's kind of sad when Jim Tomsula has to go over the offensive line and fire them up. Not even his position. If I were Kaep I would have done that myself.
If there is any change on the line it would be Looney playing center. If it's anything else it will be due to injury...or it will be doomsday!
Share 49ersWebzone