LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

George Seifert appreciation thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Getting to coach the team is like a reward for George putting out some fantastic but so underrated defenses through out the SB years. The unbelievable job he did with the secondary in '81
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Welcome on being a new 9er fan

Who was this even directed at? No posts prior to this showed anyone being a "new" niner fan. Just wondering...
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Getting to coach the team is like a reward for George putting out some fantastic but so underrated defenses through out the SB years. The unbelievable job he did with the secondary in '81

I had mentioned earlier I loved George and truly appreciated his coaching, but his tenure is bookended by two of my biggest "what-if" scenios. I always wonder, what if it would have been holmgren getting the nod in '89 and on the other side what if George retired after Super Bowl 29 and shanahan took over from 1995 on.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I read a stat somewhere once that showed that almost every head coach's won/loss record is worse the second time around. It's very hard to win after moving on from your first team.

Bull Bellichick and Cheatn Pete say lolwut

Got any more? Lots of coaches move on, never to repeat their success...

tom coughlin

I didn't say ALL coaches I said most. I stick by my claim, MOST coaches never achieve the same level of success as they did with their first team. The coaching landscape is littered with the proof...

"Most" coaches w/out a link is a bit much.

HOWEVER, in your favor I'll throw Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Vince Lombardi into the mix.

Lombardi may not be a fair addition since I think he may have had to leave due to cancer that later killed him.

Thanks for your input!

I'm sorry for not providing a link, but it's been a long time. I think I read the article when we were looking for MS's replacement.

That's cool bro.

It's all give & take here.
Originally posted by Niners816:

I had mentioned earlier I loved George and truly appreciated his coaching, but his tenure is bookended by two of my biggest "what-if" scenios. I always wonder, what if it would have been holmgren getting the nod in '89 and on the other side what if George retired after Super Bowl 29 and shanahan took over from 1995 on.

I thought Mike Shanahan was a great OC for us as well as Mike Holmgren. But for everything that has gone down, looking back at it, I believe what did George Seifert in more than any other factor was the weakness of the front office at the time. Simply put, the drafting flat out sucked and sucked for too long that we became overly dependent on our star players. The lone bright spot was the '94 draft.

It makes me appreciate Trent Baalke even more because it seems he is doing all he can to CONSTANTLY keep re-tooling this team and keep a steady supply of talent flowing in. I don't think Seifert had that luxury. Add in not resigning Deion Sanders (who was a more important FA than the other aging vets we brought in) as well as letting Ricky Watters walk led to our downfall.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I thought Mike Shanahan was a great OC for us as well as Mike Holmgren. But for everything that has gone down, looking back at it, I believe what did George Seifert in more than any other factor was the weakness of the front office at the time. Simply put, the drafting flat out sucked and sucked for too long that we became overly dependent on our star players. The lone bright spot was the '94 draft.

It makes me appreciate Trent Baalke even more because it seems he is doing all he can to CONSTANTLY keep re-tooling this team and keep a steady supply of talent flowing in. I don't think Seifert had that luxury. Add in not resigning Deion Sanders (who was a more important FA than the other aging vets we brought in) as well as letting Ricky Watters walk led to our downfall.

agree, Carmen policy and Dwight Clark were nowhere equal to McVay/Walsh. I put some of it on coaching. Seifert and his scheme philosophy, but all in all the front office was mediocre. No Aldon Smiths, no Colin Kaepernicks, no Aaron Lynche's, Boon's or Ian William's. All just solid players but nothing really outstanding, and definitely a few brain fart draft picks too.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Welcome on being a new 9er fan

Who ya talkin to AllTheTime??
Originally posted by mayo49:
F**k Seifert, he chose Young over Montana, f**k his ass.

Is that you Charles?
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

agree, Carmen policy and Dwight Clark were nowhere equal to McVay/Walsh. I put some of it on coaching. Seifert and his scheme philosophy, but all in all the front office was mediocre. No Aldon Smiths, no Colin Kaepernicks, no Aaron Lynche's, Boon's or Ian William's. All just solid players but nothing really outstanding, and definitely a few brain fart draft picks too.

Dexter Carter!!!
Share 49ersWebzone