There are 206 users in the forums

George Seifert appreciation thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He was a good coach - NOT great but good.

He also did, IMO, some real bonehead moves.

A). Giving the ball to Roger Craig against the Giants instead of Rathman. Then the fumble and the scumbag Giants went on to win the SB.

B). Having a cast wearing Adam Walker receiving a KO or Punt - can't remember and then he fumbles and the Packers go on to win.

I think he was an under rated Defensive coach but as a HC he was a little bit better than average.

He proved that w/the Panthers.
Agree with your thoughts that he was a great DC and an average HC.

Just my opinion, but here's my criticism about him is that he was overly reliant on scheme defense and not much on pressure defense. I.e. he's a DB coach, and he believed that he could (and did) draft very good DB's that could stop the pass, so really all he had to do was draft good D Linemen to stuff the run. He relied on free agent pass rushers for the most part because either he didn't believe in pressure schemes or he had a blind spot to drafting pass rushers.

Fangio, on the other hand, seems to be able to smell pass rushers a thousand miles away. Lynch, Aldon, Skuta etc... but Fangio hasn't had a really successful cornerback drafted the way Seifert had Eric Davis, Merton Hanks, Lott, Wright, Williamson etc... One reason I think Fangio finds more pass rushers than Seifert is simply his pressure philosophy vs a coverage scheme defense a-la Siefert.

Finally, he never picked up the offense he faced off against in practice the way other defensive coaches picked up the offense and became successful offensive coaches - like Tom Landry and Bill Bellicheat. After both Holmgren and Shanahan left, he could have hired some very successful OC's that were steeped in the WCO, like Bruce Coslet, instead he hired Mark Trestman and I think he did that so he can have more control over the offense and more control over the design and playcalls of the offense, suffice to say the Mark Trestman hire was a disaster, and partly because Seifert never really was very good on the offensive side of the ball that he thought he was, and it cost him his job.

A). Giving the ball to Roger Craig against the Giants instead of Rathman. Then the fumble and the scumbag Giants went on to win the SB.

B). Having a cast wearing Adam Walker receiving a KO or Punt - can't remember and then he fumbles and the Packers go on to win.

I think he was an under rated Defensive coach but as a HC he was a little bit better than average.

I read a stat somewhere once that showed that almost every head coach's won/loss record is worse the second time around. It's very hard to win after moving on from your first team.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastie:
I read a stat somewhere once that showed that almost every head coach's won/loss record is worse the second time around. It's very hard to win after moving on from your first team.

Bull Bellichick and Cheatn Pete say lolwut
Originally posted by Garcia:

Got any more? Lots of coaches move on, never to repeat their success...

tom coughlin
Originally posted by crabman82:

tom coughlin

I didn't say ALL coaches I said most. I stick by my claim, MOST coaches never achieve the same level of success as they did with their first team. The coaching landscape is littered with the proof...
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree with your thoughts that he was a great DC and an average HC.

Just my opinion, but here's my criticism about him is that he was overly reliant on scheme defense and not much on pressure defense. I.e. he's a DB coach, and he believed that he could (and did) draft very good DB's that could stop the pass, so really all he had to do was draft good D Linemen to stuff the run. He relied on free agent pass rushers for the most part because either he didn't believe in pressure schemes or he had a blind spot to drafting pass rushers.

Fangio, on the other hand, seems to be able to smell pass rushers a thousand miles away. Lynch, Aldon, Skuta etc... but Fangio hasn't had a really successful cornerback drafted the way Seifert had Eric Davis, Merton Hanks, Lott, Wright, Williamson etc... One reason I think Fangio finds more pass rushers than Seifert is simply his pressure philosophy vs a coverage scheme defense a-la Siefert.

Finally, he never picked up the offense he faced off against in practice the way other defensive coaches picked up the offense and became successful offensive coaches - like Tom Landry and Bill Bellicheat. After both Holmgren and Shanahan left, he could have hired some very successful OC's that were steeped in the WCO, like Bruce Coslet, instead he hired Mark Trestman and I think he did that so he can have more control over the offense and more control over the design and playcalls of the offense, suffice to say the Mark Trestman hire was a disaster, and partly because Seifert never really was very good on the offensive side of the ball that he thought he was, and it cost him his job.

Thanks on that one.

Trestman was a pick from way out in left field. Nobody saw that coming.

Link?

tom coughlin

I didn't say ALL coaches I said most. I stick by my claim, MOST coaches never achieve the same level of success as they did with their first team. The coaching landscape is littered with the proof...

"Most" coaches w/out a link is a bit much.

HOWEVER, in your favor I'll throw Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Vince Lombardi into the mix.

Lombardi may not be a fair addition since I think he may have had to leave due to cancer that later killed him.

Thanks for your input!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
aside from dithering on a running back till we got kirby in here and letting the defense get old,, he did nothing wrong as coach and is in the top three as all time niner coaches to me... oh, someone ripped him for giving the ball to craig vs the giants,, i do not. craig had been our bell cow , even though he had lost alot that last year with us. you give it to him,, that would be like us giving the ball to miller when gore is setting back there in a key spot.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Niners816:
I always loved George...just look at his seasons:

1989 14-2 champ
1990 14-2 NFC title game
1991 10-6
1992 14-2 NFC title game
1993 10-6 NFC title game
1994 13-3 champ
1995 11-5
1996 12-4

Pretty impressive, but even he says he will never be forgived for not getting the three-peat.

That '91 team missed the playoffs but was the best team in the league by the end of the season. Joe and Steve went down during the season and Steve Bono filled in and did a terrific job.
yep, at the end of the year we were the team everyone did not want to make the playoffs and they got their wish. i am hoping that does not happen this year to us,,,, that 91 team and bonos performance, where he looked liked montana when he dropped back to pass, was the reason i was on board in dumping young and trading him to kansas city for derrick thomas, keeping joe who still had it and then you had bono waiting in the wings. i love young but still think we should have went down that road

tom coughlin

"Most" coaches w/out a link is a bit much.

HOWEVER, in your favor I'll throw Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Vince Lombardi into the mix.

Lombardi may not be a fair addition since I think he may have had to leave due to cancer that later killed him.

Thanks for your input!

I'm sorry for not providing a link, but it's been a long time. I think I read the article when we were looking for MS's replacement.
Coach Seifert was about as cool as it gets on the sideline. Did not try to be Bill Walsh 2.0 and had confidence in his own personality. Loved that guy.
Originally posted by cciowa:
yep, at the end of the year we were the team everyone did not want to make the playoffs and they got their wish. i am hoping that does not happen this year to us,,,, that 91 team and bonos performance, where he looked liked montana when he dropped back to pass, was the reason i was on board in dumping young and trading him to kansas city for derrick thomas, keeping joe who still had it and then you had bono waiting in the wings. i love young but still think we should have went down that road

Joe stays we probably win one or two more rings, but I'm one of many who nodded when they saw the sign, "Joe is God".
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Welcome on being a new 9er fan

Share 49ersWebzone