Anthony Davis - 1

Missed FG / PATs: 2 / 0

Missed 2-pt Conversions: 0

Missed Redzone Opportunities: 9

Burned TO: 10
Colin Kaepernick - 9
Defense - 1

BYE WEEK - Trends

Here are some trends regarding our negative plays so far this season. There are some interesting findings here, so let's get to them...

The first trend shows the 'non-correlative' data. I plotted the data for WINS vs. LOSSES, and it seems that missed 3rd down conversions and turnovers have had little to no impact on whether we win or not. Now, obviously when we have 4 turnovers, we're going to lose (CHI), but for the other games, it was all over the place. It's also interesting to see our 3rd down success rate drop as the season progresses. That's not an encouraging sign.

The next set of data I looked at were total penalties and penalty yardage. These data seem very correlative to winning and losing. We had 16 penalties vs. the Bears, but our penalty yardage was worse vs. the Cardinals. Those two games stand out as definite outliers vs. the rest of the season so far.

This is a statistic that I've pulled together while doing my Shootin' Ourselves in the Foot series. One of the goals of these threads was to differentiate the 'back-breaker' penalties from the inconsequential ones. Points Squandered takes into account points from specific penalties (for offensive penalties, points not scored, and for defense penalties, points surrendered), points not scored due to sacks, missed FGs, and points not scored due to missed Red Zone opportunities (for instance, 4 points would be assessed for a Red Zone trip that netted a FG and not a TD). These data seem to be the most correlative to wins and losses, as we left at least 38 points on the field for each of our losses, and we left at most 33 points on the field for our wins.

- NOTE: This statistic isn't an exact science, as there were several defensive series were multiple defensive penalties resulted in a TD. That's why these numbers are so high. They don't specifically state that we squandered those exact points for each of those games. Instead, the value reflects how bad penalties, missed FGs, etc. play into this formulation.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Well Done. I have wondered about a few of these miscues, but never thot of plotting it out. Neat work, Buff, neat work. Helpful, also.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well Done. I have wondered about a few of these miscues, but never thot of plotting it out. Neat work, Buff, neat work. Helpful, also.

Thanks
Anyone have a good explanation as to why our 3rd down efficiency seems to be waning?
Impressive work!
Ahmad Brooks sux
Jonathan Martin sux
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Ahmad Brooks sux
Jonathan Martin sux

Brooks is one of the better OLBs in the NFC. He does everything great except rush the passer and not commit penalties. He's been playing poorly, but let's have goldfish memories about him; he's only 30 years old. It's not like he's washed up.

JMartin is pretty bad though; but he's a backup, so I'm not too worried about him.
The 49ers are used to playing with a shutdown defense. A defense that demolishes the run and gets turnovers in the passing game. A defense that gives us great field position and allows our offense to control the clock and tempo of the game.

If you can't the nickel CB as the 12th defender we started the last game with 6 of our starters out and a 7th (Brock) back for the 1st time in over a month and probably not 100%. 2 of the 6 defenders missing happened to be 2 of our 3 best players on defense.

This is what's effecting our offense the most not to mention the injuries on the offensive side of the ball as well.

If the 49ers get healthy we will kick tail but if we don't it's going to be an off year.
Share 49ersWebzone