Missed 3rd Down Opportunities:
- See previous weeks' breakdowns -

Missed Redzone Opportunities: 9

Burned TO:
Colin Kaepernick - 9
Defense - 1

Week 7: @ Denver

Overview: Loss 42-17
An embarrassing loss on National TV. It was a Peyton love-fest all night, and he had a magnificent game.

Kaepernick actually played well for the most part, completing tough throws, and should have had a much better night had Crabtree, Boldin, and Davis caught the ball (4 drops between them, all pivotal). Kap had 2 bad throws: the INT (not sure what to think there), and the long play-action bomb to Lloyd. Lloyd had the step, but Kap didn't put enough loft in the ball for Lloyd to run under it. Other than that, he had a pretty good game, especially the drive before half.

Defense was schooled, no 2 ways about it. Peyton was playing us. And the biggest thing was Denver CAPITALIZED on every short field we gave them. The dagger after the INT was a great example of how to utilize a momentum shift. Our run defense was also suspect.

In terms of penalties, we weren't too bad. We suffered a lot of sacks, but only a few of them were actually significant. The dropped passes were by far our biggest detriment.

Good games by Lloyd and Johnson again, I like having good options at #3 and #4 , and good opening act for Ellington in our offense. We can build from this!

Big picture, with the SEA loss, it wasn't a back-breaker. The bye will help us get back and healthy. We need extra time to get our new Center up to speed , but I still have confidence we can get to the playoffs, as I'm not sold on Arizona and I think Seattle has taken a step back.

Penalties:
Arron Lynch:
1. Personal Foul - Unnecessary Roughness, Head Butt - 15 yard penalty
- Comment: After a long completion to Sanders, we give them another 15 yards and the Broncos capitalize, quickly down 21-3.

Tramaine Brock:
1. Pass Interference - Equivalent to 17 yard penalty
- Comment: Brock was beat on the play by an deep inside post by Sanders. He essentially saved the TD but the Broncos scored anyway. Brock was particular susceptible all game. Didn't appear to have his game legs back. He gave up the TD that followed on 3rd and Goal.

Anthony Davis:
1. False Start - 5 yard penalty
- Comment: Coming out of the 2 minute warning, just a bad penalty. However, we still get the first down on a great play by Kap and Lloyd, so it was inconsequential.

Corey Lemonier:
1. Holding - 10 yard penalty
- Comment: During the return, we lose 10 yards. This was another point where we could have gotten back into it, as we stopped DEN for 3 and out after half. But we squander the opportunity by throwing a bad INT.

Chris Borland:
1. Pass Interference - Equivalent to 7 yard penalty
- Comment: Borland matched up against Sanders in the slot was a mismatch. The penalty was actually a good play considering, but DEN scored anyway.

Anquan Boldin:
1. Pass Interference - 10 yard penalty
- Comment: Wipes out a TD to Crabtree, and stalls the drive. Debatable whether it was needed or not. Regardless, the game was already out of reach.

Total: 6

Turnovers:
1. Colin Kaepernick - INT
- Comment: Bad INT, not sure what was wrong, but Johnson had no shot at the catch and Ellington was open for the first down underneath. This throw crippled any chance of a comeback. DEN immediately capitalize for 7 on the next play.

Total: 1

Sacks (Attributed):
1. Joe Staley (0.5) / Joe Looney (0.5)
- Comment: The opening drive was plagued right away with an easy drop by Crabtree, that resulted in a 3rd and long. The pocket was collapsing on all sides, there really wasn't much Kap could do, but the primary pressure was coming from the left side of the line. Very poor start. The Broncos capitalize on the good field position, and we're quickly down 0-7.

2. Frank Gore
- Comment: On first down, Denver sends a delayed blitz by Miller, and Miller beats Gore. Miller has exceptional closing speed as Kap would have escaped most defenders in that situation. This could also be considered a coverage sack, as there didn't seem to be anyone immediately open after the initial pressure. Stevie Johnson makes up for it with a great 30+ yard reception on the next play, so this sack was inconsequential.

3. Joe Staley
- Comment: On first down, Ware does the fake spin move and Staley falls for it. Great veteran move there. But we're able to continue the drive and score before half, so it was inconsequential.

4. Colin Kaepernick
- Comment: Gore saves the first blitzer, but with no one open and all scramble lanes closing, there really wasn't much he could have done. This is one of the few times that the better option was to take off and use his legs . Definitely a coverage sack.

5. Anthony Davis
- Comment: Von Miller is good... and he just schooled Davis.

6. Joe Staley
- Comment: Ware was just the first guy to get there, but Denver sent a 6 man blitz and Kap had no time to do anything.

Total: 6

Missed FGs/PATs:
1. Dawson
- Comment: 51 yarders are not gimmes, but we needed this FG as we had some momentum on offense and Peyton seemed to be in the groove. The Broncos capitalize again on good field position with another quick score... we're quickly down 0-14.

Missed 2-pt Conversions:

Total: 0

Missed 3rd Down Opportunities:
1. 3rd and 6
- Comment: A drop on first down put us behind the 8-ball, and a good pass rush by Denver resulted in a sack. Not much Kap could do here, as the pocket collapsed very quickly. That drop was a brutal start to the game, and the dropped pass pattern continued all game.

2. 3rd and 4
- Comment: On our second drive, we had plenty of momentum. Kap had completed well-timed balls to Ellington and Davis, but we decide to go to the deep fade down the right sideline to Crabtree. Crabtree was called for pass interference, but didn't secure the catch so it was declined. And we missed the FG afterward. I have to think that there's some better options for 3rd and short than a low-percentage fade pass.

3. 3rd and 11
- Comment: Our third drive, our drive stalls again with another bad drop, this time by Vernon. Kap couldn't have placed the ball any better, it just bounced off his chest. The 3rd and 11 opportunity was too far outside to Lloyd. Kap was playing it conservative as there was good coverage. Another drop kills us.

4. 3rd and Goal from the 4
- Comment: A catch Boldin makes 99/100, but dropped this one. Brutal change of events. Pretty much the game at this point.

5. 3rd and 3
- Comment: After half and we stop DEN on a 3 and out, we've got some momentum, but Kap throws a bad INT that pretty much ices the game. Not sure what he saw. Johnson had no chance and Ellington was open for the first down on the short out route.

6. 3rd and 11
- Comment: The third down play was a sack, but the series died when Kap missed Lloyd for what would have been a very big gain. Those long bombs are still not a great asset for Kap yet, but I like how open Lloyd was on the route. The sack was a combination of pressure and good coverage. Not much Kap could have done. Denver capitalizes again in 2 plays for a TD... that was a common theme all night.

7. 3rd and 14
- Comment: At this point, we were in full desperation mode, and Miller make Anthony Davis look silly.

8. 3rd and Goal from the 21
- Comment: The Niners were trying to get the TD in 4 downs here, so the underneath route to Crabtree was planned. But the failed on 4th down.

Total: 8

Missed Red Zone Opportunities:
1. 1st and Goal from the 4
- Comment: Boldin grabs a 3rd down pass to get us into scoring position, but a poor run on first down (probably expedited to make sure DEN didn't challenge the Boldin catch), and good coverage on a short Crabtree reception left us with 3rd and Goal from the 4. Brutal drop by Boldin. Nothing to say. That was the game. We needed that catch!

2. 1st and Goal from the 8
- Comment: Lloyd makes an excellent catch to make it 1st and goal, but we get an offensive PI call, and a sack to kill the drive.

Total: 2

Burned TO:
1. Colin Kaepernick
- Comment: On our 4th drive, at DEN 24 yard line (our best drive so far), on 3rd and 8, Kap was getting too close to a delay of game and called a TO. He tried audibling at 4 seconds left, and ran out of time. Followed up with a huge grab by Boldin to get to 1st and goal from the 4.

[ Edited by NinerBuff on Oct 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Dropped passes should be a category that you look at each game and for the season.
We need some level of consistency.. Denver was firing on all cylinders offensively and defensively. We have to come out blazing against the rams ..home game after a bye week we just played them 2 weeks ago so we should have a better feel for what we need to do. Plus having some key guys back will only help. Were hurting ourselves with all these drops..missed opportunities to put points on the board..ineffective in the red zone. Got to execute better
Originally posted by buck:
Dropped passes should be a category that you look at each game and for the season.

As I'm going through this, that seemed obvious... I can try and go back and tally them... But after the bye, I'll add that category. Especially conserving drops were vital in that game.
Originally posted by Niner_Faithful_MTL:
We need some level of consistency.. Denver was firing on all cylinders offensively and defensively. We have to come out blazing against the rams ..home game after a bye week we just played them 2 weeks ago so we should have a better feel for what we need to do. Plus having some key guys back will only help. Were hurting ourselves with all these drops..missed opportunities to put points on the board..ineffective in the red zone. Got to execute better

We've never played great after a bye in the Harbaugh era
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Were due for one of these near perfect games what better time than now. If they come out flat and unprepared especially offensively I'll be f***in pist off. The Philly game could have been a near perfect but special teams messed up a couple times and the offense couldn't score tds in the red zone. We expect a lot from these guys we have all the talent in the world. Time to get back on track starting next week hopefuly they come up with a great gameplan

Were due for one of these near perfect games what better time than now. If they come out flat and unprepared especially offensively I'll be f***in pist off. The Philly game could have been a near perfect but special teams messed up a couple times and the offense couldn't score tds in the red zone. We expect a lot from these guys we have all the talent in the world. Time to get back on track starting next week hopefuly they come up with a great gameplan

We don't need a perfect game, it's better to peak late... All we need is wins and things to improve upon!
We don't need a perfect game, it's better to peak late... All we need is wins and things to improve upon!

Your right...my main concern is whenever we put together a good drive offensively we come back the next couple of series and just look flat. Very up and down.

Your right...my main concern is whenever we put together a good drive offensively we come back the next couple of series and just look flat. Very up and down.

Kaepernick has shown an aptitude for getting TDs right before half... This is an excellent skill. He's done that in the DAL, CHI, PHI, KC, STL, and DEN games...
  • buck
  • Veteran

As I'm going through this, that seemed obvious... I can try and go back and tally them... But after the bye, I'll add that category. Especially conserving drops were vital in that game.

Maybe this will help.

from PFF

Maybe this will help.

from PFF

Thanks buck!!

I'll add my little comment section to each drop from here on...
Share 49ersWebzone