Denver Broncos and Bye week coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
I can't say it because I can't? LOL what the hell are you on about? The fact of the matter is the offense s**t the bed and they weren't missing 4 starters three if which are the best in the league. The drops and Kaps turnover and overthrow of Lloyd were all clutch mistakes. Yes, Kaps mistakes were clutch. Re watch the game. Tell me, at what point did it completely get out of hand? In the third quarter you say? What happened in the third quarter?

I mean i guess you could say it was all on Kap if you wanna look stupid. That game was out of hand already. It coulda been 21-17 at that point if we just executed, and even if it was, I doubt we win. Unless Denver committed a penalty, they scored. Peyton honestly coulda put up 50 that night if he wanted to. And no, i'm not gonna be the dumbass that calls the 3rd quarter of a reg season game a "clutch" moment. I'm pretty sure you're the first to ever do it. If those are clutch times, Kaps come up clutch a ridiculous amount of times for someone so young.
I didnt say it was all on Kap. Never said that. And yes clutch mistakes were made in the game. We're talking about the Denver game here, a game in which clutch mistakes happened on offense. In a game, clutch mistakes can take place. You're really trying too hard here to make me look bad and its really not working. Cool off. Walk away.

Lmao quote me where i said that you said it was all on Kap. Oh damn, i never did lol.

Its really not that hard to make somebody look bad when they call the 3rd quarter of a regular season game "clutch", you're doing it yourself. I'm just reminding you how stupid you sound.

Dude, you're implying I'm stupid by imying I'm saying the loss was all on Kap. And for Christ sakes a play in a game can be clutch regarding the outcome if the game not the entire season. Stop what you're trying to do. It's not working. Please stop. I don't want to argue or take part in conversations a like this. I said Kaps int was a clutch turnover. It was. Deal with it. Move on. Accept it.
no offense to jonnydel, but this thread could have been summed up by saying this..."Short week, on the road, severely injured, facing one of the greatest QB's of all time".

This is the first loss in years that I havent been pissed off by. We all knew it was coming. There was a little bit of hope that somehow we could do all the right things, overperform, and steal a win, but it just wasnt realistic. This wasnt our real team, it was a bunch of backups who were just overmatched.

The offense was put in a hole by our D, so we really didnt get much of a chance to get off the ground offensively. We had to abandon the run early, and when you drop 4 big passes that wouldve netted a good chunk of yards, one of them an easy TD, you just arent going to win.

This game is better off being thrown out. The bye week will help get us healthier. Seahawks lost as well, so we didnt lose any ground in that race. AZ has a hard schedule coming up.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
not quite; the fact we got killed in that game was cuz we didnt play enough press/jamming man coverage. has nothing to do with injuries, rookies, no pass rush, the fact it's peyton at milehigh out there.

no. Fail. we can't match up with Thomas Thomas Sanders and Welker. we don't have the physicality to jam them consistently. unless we put vern out there or get bow and willis back. we need a front-loaded scheme that can be smart about how we put pressure on Manning then we can be competitive but not before
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
not quite; the fact we got killed in that game was cuz we didnt play enough press/jamming man coverage. has nothing to do with injuries, rookies, no pass rush, the fact it's peyton at milehigh out there.

no. Fail. we can't match up with Thomas Thomas Sanders and Welker. we don't have the physicality to jam them consistently. unless we put vern out there or get bow and willis back. we need a front-loaded scheme that can be smart about how we put pressure on Manning then we can be competitive but not before

nope, shoulda press/jammed them. ask NCcommand.
Dude, you're implying I'm stupid by imying I'm saying the loss was all on Kap. And for Christ sakes a play in a game can be clutch regarding the outcome if the game not the entire season. Stop what you're trying to do. It's not working. Please stop. I don't want to argue or take part in conversations a like this. I said Kaps int was a clutch turnover. It was. Deal with it. Move on. Accept it.

You still haven't been able to quote me saying that you're putting the whole game on Kap. I said you're amplifying Kaps only mistake by labeling it clutch. I said if you want to be the only person in the world that calls that a clutch moment then have at it. Now let's stop ruining one of the best threads on NT. PM me if you want to continue.
[ Edited by WilliamDonovan on Oct 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM ]

I think the conversation was, we shoulda press jammed them more. Maybe. But nothing was going to make a big difference unless we got in Mannings face. And for that we need to recalibrate our defensive playbook and start to scheme pressure better more creatively and step away from the role-oriented 3-4 seifert universe we have been living in for the last 3 decades.

And, we really need to start this process. Because ain't no cavalry coming over the hill. Aldon coming back this year won't really fix the problem. Our pass rush has been pretty inconsistent over the last two years even with Aldon. We don't scheme pressure from enough angles and with enough different people to really be the knock out blow it could be. It's an issue.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
no offense to jonnydel, but this thread could have been summed up by saying this..."Short week, on the road, severely injured, facing one of the greatest QB's of all time".

This is the first loss in years that I havent been pissed off by. We all knew it was coming. There was a little bit of hope that somehow we could do all the right things, overperform, and steal a win, but it just wasnt realistic. This wasnt our real team, it was a bunch of backups who were just overmatched.

The offense was put in a hole by our D, so we really didnt get much of a chance to get off the ground offensively. We had to abandon the run early, and when you drop 4 big passes that wouldve netted a good chunk of yards, one of them an easy TD, you just arent going to win.

This game is better off being thrown out. The bye week will help get us healthier. Seahawks lost as well, so we didnt lose any ground in that race. AZ has a hard schedule coming up.

Agree. I also thought we'd lose BUT not the way we did.

At any rate I hope it will serve as a wake up call - especially to the coaches. They need to plan to destroy teams like Denver did to us. The keep it close and run-out-the-clock crap should be flushed.

IMO, even though the Seahawks lost, we must win our division AND we can do it.

I fee VERY uncomfortable playing for a Wildcard position.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Agree. I also thought we'd lose BUT not the way we did.

At any rate I hope it will serve as a wake up call - especially to the coaches. They need to plan to destroy teams like Denver did to us. The keep it close and run-out-the-clock crap should be flushed.

IMO, even though the Seahawks lost, we must win our division AND we can do it.

I fee VERY uncomfortable playing for a Wildcard position.

I'm always upset when we lose, and this one was no different. I thought it would be hard to win, but like yourself, I did not expect it to be THAT bad. The defense playing the way it did? Sure. But that doesn't excuse the offense with a multitude of weapons only getting 17 points (and the starting offense really only getting 10).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm always upset when we lose, and this one was no different. I thought it would be hard to win, but like yourself, I did not expect it to be THAT bad. The defense playing the way it did? Sure. But that doesn't excuse the offense with a multitude of weapons only getting 17 points (and the starting offense really only getting 10).

1 missed field goal---3 pts.

1 nullified touchdown--7 pts.

1 dropped TD pass------7 pts.

For a grand total of 13 pts.

Plus an interception that leads to 6pts. the other way.

And throw in 6 sacks.

3 more dropped passes

2 missed receivers

Yep, not a good day at the office for the offensive.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1 missed field goal---3 pts.

1 nullified touchdown--7 pts.

1 dropped TD pass------7 pts.

For a grand total of 13 pts.

Plus an interception that leads to 6pts. the other way.

And throw in 6 sacks.

3 more dropped passes

2 missed receivers

Yep, not a good day at the office for the offensive.

I think one reason the offense seemed to be off track just a bit is the injury to VD. The TE position is so key in the Harbaugh offense, and Vance has not been productive from a passing standpoint (6 targets 2 catches) This offense revolves around the TE and the play action pass and an injury and an underperforming player at that position really slows this offense down. VD's injury also affects his blocking and I think thats possibly one reason we couldn't run against the Broncos. Runs that attack the edges of the defense such as sweeps and power off tackles require a good block from the TE position down blocking on the DT/DE. This is one reason I think we need to draft another Vance-like TE guy in next years draft but with much better hands.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Since there is a chance Gase could be the next coach, was there anything in the Broncos approach that stood out to you against Fangio's defense?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

I think the conversation was, we shoulda press jammed them more. Maybe. But nothing was going to make a big difference unless we got in Mannings face. And for that we need to recalibrate our defensive playbook and start to scheme pressure better more creatively and step away from the role-oriented 3-4 seifert universe we have been living in for the last 3 decades.

And, we really need to start this process. Because ain't no cavalry coming over the hill. Aldon coming back this year won't really fix the problem. Our pass rush has been pretty inconsistent over the last two years even with Aldon. We don't scheme pressure from enough angles and with enough different people to really be the knock out blow it could be. It's an issue.

Yup, press coverage is different from jam-press. When you play a WCO where the offense is predictated on the timing between the QB's drops and the WR route, jam-press at the line of scrimmage is the best way to disrupt that (if you are effective at it). Off coverage is the worst (free, clean releases). Under Fangio, we rarely, and I mean rarely jam-press at the LOS...Johnson may be the only CB I've seen actually do it. But I believe Brock, Johnson, Culliver, Cook, etc. could be very effective in it. You don't want to do it exclusively of course. You can even do it a lot early and then run the CB's up to the LOS like they are going to do it again and drop back in off coverage just prior to the snap to add additional confusion to the QB/WR.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Since there is a chance Gase could be the next coach, was there anything in the Broncos approach that stood out to you against Fangio's defense?

Yes! Every single pass was under 3 seconds..with us playing off coverage, it was easy pickings too! Also, they will us 10-11 different receiver combinations. Scheme is critical to getting guys open and several plays a game are used to open up other plays off those formations.
No bumping threads that will bring back nightmares.

But this is a good idea.
[ Edited by TheRathman44 on Jan 11, 2015 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by TheRathman44:
No bumping threads that will bring back nightmares.

But this is a good idea.

Lol. Good point. Time for positives!
Share 49ersWebzone