LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Week 7 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On that throw from Kaep I'm wondering if he's just reading the defense wrong or the defenses ae just doign a great job of tricking him. It always seems to be the same type of play that gets him in trouble. He thinks it's man but one of the DB's breaks off his coverage and falls right into where Kaep thinks he has a passing lane due to him thinking it's one coverage when it's really not. I mean he made the correct read and throw on that pass if it were man coverage. Same thing with the Jenkins pick vs the Eagles. He has to use some more patience and read the field as the play develops instead of having it set in his mind what's he's going to do based off pre reading the defense at the snap.

The offensive line is in shambles and until that problem is fully solved the team will struggle. Run blocking has fallen off a cliff.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Staley looked like complete ass. Crabs and Vernon are really starting to piss me off. Losing Kilgore will hurt, he's been good.

I'm really starting to wonder if playing guys right after they get cleared is wise...none have looked good. Specifically with Vernon, there is a disconnect somewhere. Either the trainers are clearing him and he's still hurt, he's lying and making himself a giant liability, the coaches aren't picking up on his pain/lack of desire/s**t play. This is part of why I dont buy into the Jim's "we love competition-the best guys will" play bs. If somebody can explain to me why SJ isn't ahead of Crabs I would love to know?

Going back a number of years how many players have we drafted that were injured that have fully lived up to expectations? Crabs, no. Tank, no. Latt, no. Who else am I missing from this list? Maybe this redshirt BS needs to stop because we need depth now...

Couple things...

Vernon is clearly hurt and its playing with his head. That's my take on it. These 2 weeks will do him good. He's getting open...he's just not catching the damn ball. Remember, when he hurt his back, he had just come back from an ankle injury. I think he's gonna be fine...but he's not the same player when he's worried about getting hit.

As for the redshirt thing...

Crabs wasn't redshirted. I tend to think Carradine should play and play now. Latt just hasn't been healthy and we're about to find out if he can do this. Its not like they've made a huge sacrifice to redshirt these guys. They've taken like 23 players in the last 2 years and they HAVE great depth. They were thje #2 ranked pass D in the NFL coming into this game despite losing both starting CBs and their SS to free agency and missing 2 of the best defensive players on the team all year in Bowman and Aldon.

Great depth tho doesn't mean you can go into a game on the road on a short week against possibly the best QB of all time leading an O that set the record for pts in a season the previous year down FIVE starters (3 of which are all-pros) AND your #1 nickel back. NOBODY is THAT deep.
Staley looked like complete ass. Crabs and Vernon are really starting to piss me off. Losing Kilgore will hurt, he's been good.

I'm really starting to wonder if playing guys right after they get cleared is wise...none have looked good. Specifically with Vernon, there is a disconnect somewhere. Either the trainers are clearing him and he's still hurt, he's lying and making himself a giant liability, the coaches aren't picking up on his pain/lack of desire/s**t play. This is part of why I dont buy into the Jim's "we love competition-the best guys will" play bs. If somebody can explain to me why SJ isn't ahead of Crabs I would love to know?

Going back a number of years how many players have we drafted that were injured that have fully lived up to expectations? Crabs, no. Tank, no. Latt, no. Who else am I missing from this list? Maybe this redshirt BS needs to stop because we need depth now...
I think they drafted 2 more of these projects this year in Brandon Thomas and Trey Millard. So far it's not working out at all. I mean Tank was a 2nd rounder and we can't even activate the guy.
The thin air in Denver had something to do with Kap's overthrows. It takes some getting used to in order to adjust for the added velocity on the ball.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

10) NFC West: This is another reason I'm not too upset right now. Seattle lost again and is NOT the same team right now they were last year. I love that Percy Harvin is gone. Its not that they needed him last year to win it all, but all I've been hearing all offseason was "we won it last year and now we have Percy too". Not so much. Arizona...I know they keep winning, but they are due for a losing streak. This next stretch of games for them is huge....Eagles, Cowboys, Rams, Lions, Seahawks.

Meanwhile, Niners have Rams, Saints, Giants, Redskins, Seahawks after the bye. Records of the teams the Cards play? 21-11 and 4 of those losses are the Rams who are far better than their record. Record of those teams Niners play? 12-20 (and yes...they play those same Rams).

The short version of what I'm saying here is that the Niners have nearly weathered the early storm of injuries, suspension and schedule and are still within striking distance of winning the division. I mean seriously...they've played THREE teams with a single loss all year (Dallas, Philly, and Denver are a combined 16-3). Seattle could also very well make a run but if you told me we'd be 1/2 a game up on Seattle at the bye I'd have taken that and been ecstatic.

LOTS of time left. LOTS of players coming back. LOTS of teams struggling on the Niner schedule. This beating was rough, but the rest of this season might just be Super.

This X a million man! People overreact, it's hard not 2 considering we're used to losing 3 or 4 games per season these last few years and we already have 3 losses, it scares people, especially considering the division we're in, not to mention how well the Eagles and Cowboys are playing. But you're spot on here, we've made it through the hardest stretch of games, we're gonna get Aldon back very very soon, Willis will be back after the bye, so will M.Martin, Culliver, Ward, Iupati, the rust will knock off of A.Davis soon, we might get some Lattimore soon and eventually we'll get Dorsey and Bowman back, that's a TON of ammo.

We ran into a freight train last night and we limped onto the tracks (literally). This team will be fine.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think they drafted 2 more of these projects this year in Brandon Thomas and Trey Millard. So far it's not working out at all. I mean Tank was a 2nd rounder and we can't even activate the guy.

Keith Reaser and Kaleb Ramsey as well.

I have no issue with those picks. In particular I like them because they have SOOO many picks they were still able to take guys in just about every one of those rounds that a redshirt guy was taken.

Last year they took tank in rd 2 but also took Vance. They took Latt in round 4 but also took Patton.

This year they took Brandon Thomas in the 3rd but also took Marcus Martin and Chris Borland in that round. In the 6th they took Reaser but also took Aaron Lynch.

They did take 2 guys in the 7th round that are injured in Ramsey and Millard...but come on now...those were 7th round picks.
Originally posted by lamontb:
On that throw from Kaep I'm wondering if he's just reading the defense wrong or the defenses ae just doign a great job of tricking him. It always seems to be the same type of play that gets him in trouble. He thinks it's man but one of the DB's breaks off his coverage and falls right into where Kaep thinks he has a passing lane due to him thinking it's one coverage when it's really not. I mean he made the correct read and throw on that pass if it were man coverage. Same thing with the Jenkins pick vs the Eagles. He has to use some more patience and read the field as the play develops instead of having it set in his mind what's he's going to do based off pre reading the defense at the snap.

The offensive line is in shambles and until that problem is fully solved the team will struggle. Run blocking has fallen off a cliff.

On the bolded it could be Kap saw a certain coverage and simply threw to a spot for a jump ball. That could have been compounded with a miscommunication but I'd have to look at the play again. In any case, it looked like Kap had predetermined where he was going with the ball and there was a breakdown somewhere.

Agreed about the o-line. This is going to be a problem all year I think and may not be fully solved. The run blocking issues are really maddening given Kap seems to finally be learning how to climb and move around in the pocket. If the Niners could piece together a complete game from every unit it would be something to behold
Hey Marvin,

When you rewatch the games, what was your thoughts on Kilgore and his nastiness or the Oline in general. I know stats wise, Kilgore was having a good year but he always worried me because I never knew if he had that nasty streak in him. Goodwin was a bigger/wiser vet. Boone, Staley, Iupati and Davis all have it in them. I feel like they are the type of player(s) that will get a personal foul on purpose just to let you know they are going to bring it to you all game.

I feel like our Oline this year has just been soft with Kilgore, Jon Martin, Looney, etc... There's not much we can do when we have injuries but I'm hoping Marcus Martin has that mean side in him. Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise.

Any more thought on what you have seen on Kilgore or the Oline in general.

Thanks

Vernon is still hurt. Teams and players lie about their health all the time to throw the opponents off. With that said, Vernon's main role is obviously as a decoy. When he's on the field, he still commands bracket coverage and that opens up opportunities for our other guys. Sometimes you have to throw to the decoy and Vernon showed why he was the decoy.
I think we're up to 75% of the TD's now have been d/t to ad libbing (not by design). But naturally, of the designed TD's my favorite was Crabtree's route last week. No question.

10) NFC West: This is another reason I'm not too upset right now. Seattle lost again and is NOT the same team right now they were last year. I love that Percy Harvin is gone. Its not that they needed him last year to win it all, but all I've been hearing all offseason was "we won it last year and now we have Percy too". Not so much. Arizona...I know they keep winning, but they are due for a losing streak. This next stretch of games for them is huge....Eagles, Cowboys, Rams, Lions, Seahawks.

Meanwhile, Niners have Rams, Saints, Giants, Redskins, Seahawks after the bye. Records of the teams the Cards play? 21-11 and 4 of those losses are the Rams who are far better than their record. Record of those teams Niners play? 12-20 (and yes...they play those same Rams).

The short version of what I'm saying here is that the Niners have nearly weathered the early storm of injuries, suspension and schedule and are still within striking distance of winning the division. I mean seriously...they've played THREE teams with a single loss all year (Dallas, Philly, and Denver are a combined 16-3). Seattle could also very well make a run but if you told me we'd be 1/2 a game up on Seattle at the bye I'd have taken that and been ecstatic.

LOTS of time left. LOTS of players coming back. LOTS of teams struggling on the Niner schedule. This beating was rough, but the rest of this season might just be Super.

Thank you, Marvin. I agree with every one of your points and everyone should read this #10 a couple of times. I'm so glad the bye week comes now and I'm glad to take a two-week break from worrying about them right now. This week, it's all Giants baseball!
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Hey Marvin,

When you rewatch the games, what was your thoughts on Kilgore and his nastiness or the Oline in general. I know stats wise, Kilgore was having a good year but he always worried me because I never knew if he had that nasty streak in him. Goodwin was a bigger/wiser vet. Boone, Staley, Iupati and Davis all have it in them. I feel like they are the type of player(s) that will get a personal foul on purpose just to let you know they are going to bring it to you all game.

I feel like our Oline this year has just been soft with Kilgore, Jon Martin, Looney, etc... There's not much we can do when we have injuries but I'm hoping Marcus Martin has that mean side in him. Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise.

Any more thought on what you have seen on Kilgore or the Oline in general.

Thanks

Wasn't watching that specifically...but I can say this....

....moving forward I think this line will be good. They'll have 4 of their starters playing and healthy and I really like the rookie (Martin). Might be an adjustment because there is a lot asked of the center with line calls and such, but I think Martin has a higher upside than Kilgore. He's also bigger and stronger and plays with a WIDE base.

This is a tough one tho to judge "nastiness" on as well. They were down big early so running wasn't much of an option.
Originally posted by crake49:

Thank you, Marvin. I agree with every one of your points and everyone should read this #10 a couple of times. I'm so glad the bye week comes now and I'm glad to take a two-week break from worrying about them right now. This week, it's all Giants baseball!

Yeah...there was one more thing I was going to add and forgot...

...the great thing about sports is that no matter how many points you lose by in a game, it only counts as one. They lost by 25 pts, but had they lost by 1 point they'd still be 4-3. They get two weeks to digest this one and get healthy for a home game against the Rams. If they beat the Rams and then go into NO and win the following week they'll be 6-3 with Aldon coming back. Of the 9 games left on the schedule, only TWO currently have a winning record. TWO.

...and one of those is Arizona...whom the Niners play at home in the final week of the season.

For perspective, only two teams they've played currently has a LOSING record. Two of the teams they've played would be undefeated had they not lost to SF.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
nothing valuable can be gained from rewatching that game in my opinion, throw it out,, team loss, unusual one time things happening in that game on that night. third stringers playing a team that is at their peak right now. i would rather get guys back, and peak at the end of the year.. people who are giving up on every single player and coach based upon last night, considering our circumstances,, really should be shown the door in my opinion and not let back in
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by znk916:
Amidst the dumpster fire that was last night, it's appropriate how there's barely a mention of the missing run offense. Same old same old, let me guess I bet they stacked the box.

Denver's run defense is maybe the best in the league. And our o line didn't show up last night...

Roman called runs, and Denver honestly didn't go overboard against the run. They just kicked our butts up front. Badly.
Share 49ersWebzone