LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

As it looks right now iupati will not be re-singed. in no way has he played to earn top $$$. this yr he has totally been exposed in the passing game. Boone is crap. was it the holdout? I don't recall him being this bad, but seriously he is a mess.

I'd like to see this Thomas cat next yr step in. kid is a big body. Looks like we might see marcus martin to
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by English:
Well I have my fingers crossed for Martin but starting a rookie at center is . But with 3 of the 5 starters out it is pretty much happening.

Will probably be a little rough for a game or 2 but should be fine after that. I like his potential a lot.

I like his potential but a little further down the road. I hope you are right Nd I am wrong.
Well I have my fingers crossed for Martin but starting a rookie at center is . But with 3 of the 5 starters out it is pretty much happening.

going to be ugly for a while
Bucking Baalke's trend, I think it's a good idea to sign a few Free Agents in the offseason to come in and help. Our OL has been the weak link this year. Just hate to spend high draft choices in April when this team has other needs.
Originally posted by niners94:

Will probably be a little rough for a game or 2 but should be fine after that. I like his potential a lot.

Playing the rams at home after the bye no worries
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
we also have branden thomas red shirting this year

I forgot about him...

I have Thomas listed at LG--my list is for next year...this year is fill in the spot with a live body time! With Kilgore going down they need to see if M Martin can jump into the fire. Other than that they really shouldn't try to make major changes mid year when their record is still decent.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we need to do this now, and do this fast... if not now, at the end of the season..

Trade Boone
Iaupati will walk via FA (trade him too)

RT - J. Martin
RG - Looney
C - M. Martin
LG - B. Thomas
LT - A. Davis

let Staley be the Swing Tackle..

Bring in a new OL coach that would and could teach us the Dallas OL technique!!
The whole line stinks.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9moon:
we need to do this now, and do this fast... if not now, at the end of the season..

Trade Boone
Iaupati will walk via FA (trade him too)

RT - J. Martin
RG - Looney
C - M. Martin
LG - B. Thomas
LT - A. Davis

let Staley be the Swing Tackle..

Bring in a new OL coach that would and could teach us the Dallas OL technique!!

I believe they drafted their offensive line in Martin and Thomas. The Seahawks won a SB with guys coming off the street last year. The teams' weakness is pass protection, teams are stuffing the box and the running game gets stalled. They have to set up the run against the good teams now.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I believe they drafted their offensive line in Martin and Thomas. The Seahawks won a SB with guys coming off the street last year. The teams' weakness is pass protection, teams are stuffing the box and the running game gets stalled. They have to set up the run against the good teams now.

Back to the WCO theme? Yes! Use the short to medium passing game to open up the run.
Damn, it just sucks that we haven't even been able to get anything that even looks like it would be a good starting group on the field for any given time. There's been SO much flux with the oline and that has to count for something. Not trying to make too many excuses for these bums because they are playing like bums but damn cant this team catch a run of good mojo for once during this season.

DL shambles no impact players

LB gutted, willis will be willis, brooks has more meh and wtf moments than impact plays 2 MIA

DB injury prone right now

I could go on but everyone knows more then any other group the oline needs stability of personnel and play calling in accordance to their strengths as a unit.
We got none of that yall.
Zero
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, aside from Reid's Chief's, their scheme just had us running around in circles, confused, getting turned around, etc. Manning threw 1 or 2 passes beyond 10 yards it seemed like and the scheme was so effective that their receivers were open all day long and by a large distance too. They schemed the hell out of our defense last night which is still very impressive. I don't think Manning even broke a sweat. Most passes were 2-7 yards and all were under 3 seconds. That's a great offensive scheme and quality QBing knowing which primary receiver was going to be the best option on each play based on our defensive alignments.

IMO, the biggest problem with the OL is the overall offensive schemes - there aren't any. Too much of it is mano-a-mano, run-oriented man-on-man stuff. Teams have scouted us well and adjusted to stop the run while loading the box and daring us to throw. When we throw it is mostly downfield stuff. Rarely do we use short throws that force an opponent to keep their LBs back in the short zones. I don't have time right now to go into detail but the relative simplicity of the overall offense makes it easy to defend.

The Walsh offense, which Andy Reid has adopted well in KC, is very good at negating what Denver was doing to the OL last night. He takes advantage of their tendencies to give his very limited OL an advantage. The result was that KC dominated time of possession against one of the hottest QBs in the league 39-21 and Alex Smith had a statistical advantage over Rivers as well. That is what a good offensive-minded coach can do to an otherwise superior team.

I'll have to leave it at that for now.
I think our offensive scheme is hot garbage. It doesn't help that our injuries are building up but Roman's offense is gimmicky and predictable. There's no mystery to what's coming when certain formations/personnel are out there and our line just isn't strong enough to overcome it. If this is how it's going to remain under Harbaugh, I'm beginning to feel like a change might be in order.
They are not showing there cards now its the Harbaugh way...............come playoff push our offense will be unstoppable
[ Edited by Bowhunta on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone