LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No offensive philosophy??? The offense was playing fine, but players weren't executing plays...Boldin should have had that easy TD catch, Phil should have made that FG that's 10 pts and it's 20-21 at half time! VD needs to learn to catch with his hands, especially with Kap throwing lasers.

Teams stack the box every week with 8 sometimes 9 players to stop the run, so SF has to establish the pass, which I thought they did ( dropped passes, over throws, and bad offensive pass interference calls killed this, but players were open). Face it SF was down to rookies & back ups on D against the best offense in the league! Did you honestly think this game would have gone any other way with the players we had to put on the field??

SF's O line is banged up and has never been great at pass blocking...SF is all ready thinking about re-tooling the Oline when they drafted Thomas and Martin high...Kilgore has been good at center this year and they have him on the cheap (sucks he is out for the year). Iupati hasn't been playing great at all and won't be a 9er next year, hopefully we can get Martin back after the bye and see what he brings to the table.

4-3 isn't awful concentrating we've played 4 teams with 1 lose and beat two of them with our Frankenstein team lol, SF next 4 games are all winnable and we should finally be getting back some starters!!

Against one of the top defenses in the league the niner offense was moving the ball effectively at the beginning with the spread offense. The dropped balls is what was killing it for me. As far as the niner defense, yeah they had back-ups in there and it just so happens they are playing Peyton. We all knew Peyton was going to score points. Even if Willis and Aldon were playing, I think Peyton still would have done what he did. Maybe he wouldn't have scored 40+. You have to match point for point with Denver and the offense couldn't get it done. Kaep tried to make plays because no one else was. Can't blame Kaep for anything.
Iupati was starting to play better prior to the concussion. But at this juncture, we have no choice but to change things up d/t that critical loss of Kilgore.
So I'd go with Staley - Iupati - Martin - Looney - Davis/Boone.

Now you have two guards who can pull very well both ways. Boone has sucked ass at RG this year but he's a natural T and can be used as a swing G as needed. I'd have him work out at T and against speed rushing teams like Denver, I'd use Boone at RT over Davis (who's slow as hell right now). Davis also looks fat and out of shape, naturally as well and it showed last night. Farrell was a guy slated to probably be cut once all the all-pro's come back but not anymore.
Originally posted by Baldie:
No offensive philosophy??? The offense was playing fine, but players weren't executing plays...Boldin should have had that easy TD catch, Phil should have made that FG that's 10 pts and it's 20-21 at half time! VD needs to learn to catch with his hands, especially with Kap throwing lasers.

Teams stack the box every week with 8 sometimes 9 players to stop the run, so SF has to establish the pass, which I thought they did ( dropped passes, over throws, and bad offensive pass interference calls killed this, but players were open). Face it SF was down to rookies & back ups on D against the best offense in the league! Did you honestly think this game would have gone any other way with the players we had to put on the field??

SF's O line is banged up and has never been great at pass blocking...SF is all ready thinking about re-tooling the Oline when they drafted Thomas and Martin high...Kilgore has been good at center this year and they have him on the cheap (sucks he is out for the year). Iupati hasn't been playing great at all and won't be a 9er next year, hopefully we can get Martin back after the bye and see what he brings to the table.

4-3 isn't awful concentrating we've played 4 teams with 1 lose and beat two of them with our Frankenstein team lol, SF next 4 games are all winnable and we should finally be getting back some starters!!

Against one of the top defenses in the league the niner offense was moving the ball effectively at the beginning with the spread offense. The dropped balls is what was killing it for me. As far as the niner defense, yeah they had back-ups in there and it just so happens they are playing Peyton. We all knew Peyton was going to score points. Even if Willis and Aldon were playing, I think Peyton still would have done what he did. Maybe he wouldn't have scored 40+. You have to match point for point with Denver and the offense couldn't get it done. Kaep tried to make plays because no one else was. Can't blame Kaep for anything.

Yeah, aside from Reid's Chief's, their scheme just had us running around in circles, confused, getting turned around, etc. Manning threw 1 or 2 passes beyond 10 yards it seemed like and the scheme was so effective that their receivers were open all day long and by a large distance too. They schemed the hell out of our defense last night which is still very impressive. I don't think Manning even broke a sweat. Most passes were 2-7 yards and all were under 3 seconds. That's a great offensive scheme and quality QBing knowing which primary receiver was going to be the best option on each play based on our defensive alignments.

I thought Kap played a good game considering there was consist pressure on him from Miller/Ware...A couple over-throws that could have gone the distance. They just got out played on D, if you can't get pressure on Manning your probably not going to win...
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, aside from Reid's Chief's, their scheme just had us running around in circles, confused, getting turned around, etc. Manning threw 1 or 2 passes beyond 10 yards it seemed like and the scheme was so effective that their receivers were open all day long and by a large distance too. They schemed the hell out of our defense last night which is still very impressive. I don't think Manning even broke a sweat. Most passes were 2-7 yards and all were under 3 seconds. That's a great offensive scheme and quality QBing knowing which primary receiver was going to be the best option on each play based on our defensive alignments.

Thats Peyton for you. He's been doing that for years.
Only change incoming this year is Marcus Martin, which could be big because we can't run block worth a damn when it counts. Roman can hype geometry all he wants, but sometimes you need brute force to overcome the odds and get the job done.

Can't do anything about Boone until next year, Brandon Thomas should step in nicely. If we don't keep Iupati, we need to draft a starter because Looney is just a guy out there.
Excited to see Marcus Martin start. I think we'll be pretty good with him, Staley, Davis, Boone and Iupati.
Well I have my fingers crossed for Martin but starting a rookie at center is . But with 3 of the 5 starters out it is pretty much happening.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

I thought Kap played a good game considering there was consist pressure on him from Miller/Ware...A couple over-throws that could have gone the distance. They just got out played on D, if you can't get pressure on Manning your probably not going to win...

Exactly! If your D can't make stops, Peyton will beat you. It wasn't even about penalties either. Denver was just better than SF last night.
Originally posted by English:
Well I have my fingers crossed for Martin but starting a rookie at center is . But with 3 of the 5 starters out it is pretty much happening.

Will probably be a little rough for a game or 2 but should be fine after that. I like his potential a lot.

Boone has been terrible this year. I think missing camp really hurt him. Iupati has been terrible some games and good others. Same for Staley. And Davis was super rusty and has been hurt all year. I think they run best behind Boone and Davis but they just aren't playing well. Staley was embarrassed last night by Ware.
Always fun to play--Move the Pieces!

To save maximum cap room and create a more mobile line:

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Thomas/Looney
C: M Martin/Kilgore/Farrell
RG: Looney/Farrell
RT: Boone/J Martin

Trade: Davis--he's the best trade bait on the line.
FA: Iupati moves on
Draft a backup G/T to develop
Are you talking about retooling this year? That is impossible... injuries happen, we've been really lucky in that regard the last couple of seasons.

Moving forward, I think we'll be okay. Kilgore looks good at center. We have to see Martin play. Looney can stick around as a backup. We'll be okay. Also, a dominant o-line can do wonders for any team. We've had a dominant o-line the last couple years and it did wonders for us. But, like I said, the injury bug happens. And boy, has it happened to us this year.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Always fun to play--Move the Pieces!

To save maximum cap room and create a more mobile line:

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Thomas/Looney
C: M Martin/Kilgore/Farrell
RG: Looney/Farrell
RT: Boone/J Martin

Trade: Davis--he's the best trade bait on the line.
FA: Iupati moves on
Draft a backup G/T to develop

we also have branden thomas red shirting this year
[ Edited by crabman82 on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
we also have branden thomas red shirting this year

I forgot about him...
Share 49ersWebzone