There are 255 users in the forums

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

Originally posted by Giedi:
Man the current regime of Salary Cap, Free agency, and draft just makes it so hard to retain talent. It's good for the game overall, but it's brutal on each organization. I don't think there is a set in stone time table regarding Salary Schedule with injuries, retirements, and unretirements (Lloyd for example) holdouts etc... I do like the 2014 draft and a lot of those players made the team - which is good for the cap and long term success of the team. We do need skill players and we have devoted cap space to land some talent to our O Line, but I can see cracks forming with the injury to Kilgore, the Boone holdout, and the continual nagging injuries to Davis and Iupati. It's that story of syssyphus. You roll up the boulder to the top, and just when you almost get to the top and can roll it to the other side, darn thing slips from you and you have to do it all over again.

It's an interesting cap set up with the rookie salaries lowered. My sense is that teams will need to do what Baalke has done by bringing in good solid depth, while letting major vets go, and hope the coaches can keep developing replacements. The niners spend money on key FAs in some cases, Justin Smith, but not in more expensive skill positions. All the FAs they have brought in at the skill positions were lower ranked or trades--Boldin and Johnson being two of the best.

My concern is that this is a formula for maintaining good solid teams but not for building great teams. May cause coaches to dumb down their systems to accomodate turn over. But...I guess any cap system could be accused of this.

Also see some issues cropping up from the league being QB centric. It's vital to get and keep a great QB at almost all cost. But then a team like Denver comes along and finds a way to bring in FAs. Talib and Ware are near top scale (10m per yr) and Ward was mid range. Most teams have ten or more guys with no guaranteed money going forward (49er have 14).

Glad it's Baalke's problem and not mine!
If Roman can teach west coast then do it.... way to much talented WR
Nice post, dtg. .., and same goes for Giedi. Had not thot about it much but have to agree with dtg on baalke's formula being an excellent one for building good solid teams, but not great ones. Maybe you have to have that solid team and then one draft you get a Montana and next yr a Rice. Then you win it all. All told, this is the one hardest part of football, and it remains an mystery to me. How trent has done so well is an amazement. But looking at the end result...it wasn't good enough.

The remaining ingredient, IMO, is luck. Luck includes good health, non suspensions, etc. We have gotten bitten in the rear end by those this yr, or luck, if you will. Just no way to account for an Aldon , or a Bow injury, or half our OL getting injured and staying that way. Based on that alone, we are really long shots to win the SB. Just too much BAD luck going against us...like it does everyone else...this particular yr. Sure we could pull it out, but I see at least 5 -6 teams at present that probably beat us. That is, on any given sunday. And that swings both ways. Add into that luck factor , bad calls, which I don't really recall in times past. This yr we piled them up. All that....makes watching this team fun, but I am not that expectant. If we end up in the SB, I think it will be a miracle. If we win it...a double miracle.

Oh, and YES it is time to re-tool the OL. Build your team from the lines out. IF you have a talented Qb, build OL first. Next, DL.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 29, 2014 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The remaining ingredient, IMO, is luck. Luck includes good health, non suspensions, etc. We have gotten bitten in the rear end by those this yr, or luck, if you will. Just no way to account for an Aldon , or a Bow injury, or half our OL getting injured and staying that way. Based on that alone, we are really long shots to win the SB. Just too much BAD luck going against us...like it does everyone else...this particular yr. Sure we could pull it out, but I see at least 5 -6 teams at present that probably beat us. That is, on any given sunday. And that swings both ways. Add into that luck factor , bad calls, which I don't really recall in times past. This yr we piled them up. All that....makes watching this team fun, but I am not that expectant. If we end up in the SB, I think it will be a miracle. If we win it...a double miracle.

Oh, and YES it is time to re-tool the OL. Build your team from the lines out. IF you have a talented Qb, build OL first. Next, DL.

Thanks Paso, and yes, I think luck is a huge element of winning teams! Watching the SF Giants one game from winning the World Series is a great example. If you told me they would be here without their two aces--Lincecum and Cane--I'd of said you're crazy. Imagine if the following players blossom at/by years end: Carradine, Lattimore, Lynch, Johnson, M Martin, Ellington; along with the return to health/suspension of Dorsey, Aldon, Crabtree, McDonald, VD, Brock, Culliver, Willis and Bowman. This team is winning without those guys being experienced or completely in sync. WOW!

Another under estimated element that hasn't proved itself is the masterful guiding hand--Boche for the Giants. Harbaugh's really good, but is he the guy to get over the final hurdle? I think so but he has to prove it...coming close doesn't prove the final degree of master mind. Can he calmly manage the close game for a last second win? So far? No.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Constantine:
If Roman can teach west coast then do it.... way to much talented WR

did buzzb make another account
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Oct 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone