LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to re-tool the O line?

The offense is lacking... We still lack a True number 1 wr. The running game is either on or off, the passing game lacks consistency.. But the o line needs immediate attention in my opinion. The pass blocking isn't good. The run blocking can be shut down at moments notice. I sometimes wonder if it's scheme or overall talent. I'm beginning to lean towards lack if talent. I've always thought we have overrated the o line and its an apparent weakness this season.

Where do we upgrade to get better? A dominant o-line would do wonders for this ball club.
Looks like Center, and Right Guard to me.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
There were times when guys just got beat, times when Kap should not have happy feet, times when guys are injured and defenses stack the box on us more than any other team because they don't respect the passing game. I don't like our passing game at all. It should be much better than it is, more consistent.... We have an overall offensive philosophy/personnel problem and the O-line is a key part of it but Kap and Roman have contributed to the complications.
[ Edited by Phil on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
There were times when guys just got beat, times when Kap should not have happy feet, times when guys are injured and defenses stack the box on us more than any other team because they don't respect the passing game. I don't like our passing game at all. It should be much better than it is, more consistent.... We have an overall offensive philosophy/personnel problem and the O-line is a key part of it but Kap and Roman have contributed to the complications.
Yes I to believe the overall offensive philosophy is broken. I'm Still not sure what type of offense we run?? We have decent personnel to move the ball yet we struggle mightily. The o-line gets stacked up often but still can do abetter job.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Yes I to believe the overall offensive philosophy is broken. I'm Still not sure what type of offense we run?? We have decent personnel to move the ball yet we struggle mightily. The o-line gets stacked up often but still can do abetter job.

Roman and Harbaugh have no clue as to what offense we are running. Harbaugh learned from Bo Schembechler. His philosophy is run the ball, get ahead, and never throw again so that nobody can intercept. It's kindergarten level offensive scheming.

Bill Walsh used to script plays. He developed his offense knowing the responsibility of every player on the defense and where they would be. A couple of games ago Roman said he would try something new the first half and see how it goes. WTF? We make no offensive adjustments and have now screwed up the offense so badly that Crabtree, Boldin and Davis look like rank amateurs and under Roman's scheme we should be starting the guys who produce -- Johnson, Lloyd and Carrier.

It's incredible to me that the front office would be satisfied with the status quo. Based on what we've seen so far, I'd bet the farm that Uncle Eddie is furious and that the media rumors will come to fruition after the season. A change is a-comin...
No offensive philosophy??? The offense was playing fine, but players weren't executing plays...Boldin should have had that easy TD catch, Phil should have made that FG that's 10 pts and it's 20-21 at half time! VD needs to learn to catch with his hands, especially with Kap throwing lasers.

Teams stack the box every week with 8 sometimes 9 players to stop the run, so SF has to establish the pass, which I thought they did ( dropped passes, over throws, and bad offensive pass interference calls killed this, but players were open). Face it SF was down to rookies & back ups on D against the best offense in the league! Did you honestly think this game would have gone any other way with the players we had to put on the field??

SF's O line is banged up and has never been great at pass blocking...SF is all ready thinking about re-tooling the Oline when they drafted Thomas and Martin high...Kilgore has been good at center this year and they have him on the cheap (sucks he is out for the year). Iupati hasn't been playing great at all and won't be a 9er next year, hopefully we can get Martin back after the bye and see what he brings to the table.

4-3 isn't awful concentrating we've played 4 teams with 1 lose and beat two of them with our Frankenstein team lol, SF next 4 games are all winnable and we should finally be getting back some starters!!
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Our Oline has been very poor since the start of 2014. I don't know what happened, but the pass protection went downhill rapidly. Lot of people took shots at Kaep last year, but go back and watch the Carolina and Seahawks games early last season, and even those against teams with a worse defense and you can see it. It wasn't right for all of last season, no pocket at all a lot of the time and they have continued through to this season.

The OLine play seems to be regressing, or we are predicatable on our plays and clue in the defense with something on film - likely a combination of both.

The Oline needs to be challenged and held to account for their performances really, but they are also a priority to upgrade next season.
  • Liono
The pressure is coming right up the middle! Davis and Staley are good tackles. I think the 49ers should cut Veron Davis and let Crabtree walk, and spend that money on a corner and interior lineman.
[ Edited by Liono on Oct 20, 2014 at 7:27 AM ]
The biggest issues in the OL have been the guard spots. Iupati cant pass block and Boone just hasnt been very good period. I would not be upset to see them use another high pick on a top prospect that can run AND pass block.
  • Liono
There are some positions the 49ers just can't seem to draft well. Think of all the high picks we've spend on interior lineman, and even the ones we thought turned out good "iupati and Boone" are turning into garbage before our eyes.

[ Edited by Stanley on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM ]
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The offense is lacking... We still lack a True number 1 wr. The running game is either on or off, the passing game lacks consistency.. But the o line needs immediate attention in my opinion. The pass blocking isn't good. The run blocking can be shut down at moments notice. I sometimes wonder if it's scheme or overall talent. I'm beginning to lean towards lack if talent. I've always thought we have overrated the o line and its an apparent weakness this season.

Where do we upgrade to get better? A dominant o-line would do wonders for this ball club.

Um, they already have. They drafted the #1 center in the draft last year in Marcus Martin, who they hoped would compete for the starting job this year. They also drafted Brandon Thomas, who while redshirting, was considered one of the best guards in the nation.

So as you see, they already started the process beginning with the two biggest areas of need. Center and guard.
The O line had it's share of miscues last night, but Kaep also needed to throw the ball on time. Had time on some of them that he waited a tick tock too long and ended up getting sacked.
The projected starting oline has only played like a total of two quarters this year

J. Staley
M. Martin
D. Farrell
J. Martin
A. Davis

There's our line :) We need some youthful energy.

Boone & Lupati can man the bench for us.
Share 49ersWebzone