LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

All-pro players cannot be replaced

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's my point. Despite all the injuries, they've still played great in past games. That's why I can't just all of a sudden blame the injuries when it's convenient. They just got scorched. Completely overmatched.

But it's just one game they got burned like that. They'll be better, and healthier.

Our defense just went against All Pros (Thomas boys) and a HOF QB (Peyton) dude! That is a major difference in going vs PHI KC and STL! When we get back 3 All Pros (Aldon Patrick Navarro) then we can have a fair comparison. Vs regular joes our defense has held its own but this was historically the greatest offense of all time last season so we needed to be at our best. We weren't so for this game vs that talent in that building on this night we folded. You wait until we get back though and watch us work! Tonight just snowballed on us
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
this is when the O is supposed to carry the D...so far I still dont think they can do it

Not when the OL is dinged up which has been the absolute foundation of everything we've done in SF since Jim Harbaugh arrived. The OL has been our strength but not tonight. I have faith that when we get back we line up Staley Iupati M Martin Boone and Davis and we will roll. VD should get that back right and we should be rested focused and studied on all our remaining opponents
At some point, you have diminishing returns when the injuries pile up beyond the point where the team can hold it.

We were functioning OK without Brock, Bowman, and Aldon. This game, we lost the size and speed we could've used with Cully, and we lost the all-pro blocker Iupati and Willis, replacing them with players with extremely little experience, including a rookie, against a top defense and offense in the NFL. What more could we have expected?

The only team close to this complete is Dallas, and we beat them, but we had some better options in there. Hopefully after the bye, we get some guys back. I'm not worried about St. Louis though.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jreff22:
this is when the O is supposed to carry the D...so far I still dont think they can do it

Not when the OL is dinged up which has been the absolute foundation of everything we've done in SF since Jim Harbaugh arrived. The OL has been our strength but not tonight. I have faith that when we get back we line up Staley Iupati M Martin Boone and Davis and we will roll. VD should get that back right and we should be rested focused and studied on all our remaining opponents

The D has been dinged up all year and they really haven't s**t the bed. For most of the game, the problem on the OL was Staley and AD. Davis gets a slight pass because he hasn't been healthy....but Staley has 0 excuse. I'm not sure what more the O needs to be able to function at a consistent high level.
With our roster this should be our year.. Yet injuries have robbed us of our three top studs in Aldon Willis Bowman. We will get stronger as the season progresses but dang we have to break the no luck niners cycle we seem to be trapped in
Just imagine what a matchup vs the Broncos would look like with:

-- Bowman
-- Willis
-- Aldon Smith
-- Iupati
-- Dorsey
-- Culliver
-- Ward
-- McDonald
-- A healthy, non-UDFA starting center
-- A healthy Anthony Davis
-- A healthy Tramaine Brock
-- A healthy Vernon Davis

Almost a completely different team.
Yes. The D has done a great job papering over the cracks, but the losses of players have now got, temporarily, too deep.

I find it disappointing to read so many moans and winges when despite losing so many starters and All Pro's we are still in contention. 2nd and 3rd stringers are not likely to beat Manning. Be real, people.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
can't believe so many people actually expected to win last night. I was just happy seattle lost to the rams.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
With our roster this should be our year.. Yet injuries have robbed us of our three top studs in Aldon Willis Bowman. We will get stronger as the season progresses but dang we have to break the no luck niners cycle we seem to be trapped in

What we fail to remember is that the 49ers have played more games than any other team in the NFL since 2011! We have had 18, 19 and 19 game seasons with increasingly difficult strength of scheduling annually. We've travelled more than anyone as well yet we've excelled. We should be dinged up after 3 consecutive seasons chasing the chip yet we are still standing. Still competing and still winning! We will get rested this week and we will get healthy this week and we will win the following week. We as fans just have to keep things in perspective and keep the faith
Originally posted by English:
Yes. The D has done a great job papering over the cracks, but the losses of players have now got, temporarily, too deep.

I find it disappointing to read so many moans and winges when despite losing so many starters and All Pro's we are still in contention. 2nd and 3rd stringers are not likely to beat Manning. Be real, people.

Exactly!

Originally posted by English:

So true. We are not even at halftime and two games behind the Cards and have one more win than Seattle, who have a tough match up at Carolina coming up by the way.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
So true. We are not even at halftime and two games behind the Cards and have one more win than Seattle, who have a tough match up at Carolina coming up by the way.

Cam Oh Cam
Originally posted by sspiker:
Just imagine what a matchup vs the Broncos would look like with:

-- Bowman
-- Willis
-- Aldon Smith
-- Iupati
-- Dorsey
-- Culliver
-- Ward
-- McDonald
-- A healthy, non-UDFA starting center
-- A healthy Anthony Davis
-- A healthy Tramaine Brock
-- A healthy Vernon Davis

Almost a completely different team.

This is pretty much exactly where I am....we need to get healthy during the Bye if we want to make a push. To many hurt, and some that arent either were or missed time for other reasons...I am looking at you and your very average play so far also Boone.

Our injuries and recievers having a case of the dropsies killed us last night. The officating was a bit one sided until Manning got his record, but it evened out after that and we still couldnt execute. Too many back ups and walking wounded in the line up to even stand a chance. Patch work O-line was getting torched, Crabs and Davis couldnt catch a cold, NO LB'S, shakey secondary that was all banged up. You cant play Manning at Mile High in that condition and expect anything but what you saw last night. Kids and back ups just wont cut it.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:

Yeah, i just wish Carolina had some decent receivers besides Benjamin. But after that Green Bay thrashing yesterday,hopefully they will come out fired up this week...
We've been spoiled by having the class of the league at the linebacker position, which makes our D-line look great (and leaves them open for single-teams) and puts our secondary in a better positions. Without our linebacking corps, we're a middle-of-the-pack offense.

Fortunately, we should be back to 100% among LBs in a few weeks.
Share 49ersWebzone