There are 322 users in the forums

St. Louis Rams week 6 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by thl408:

Gotta give a little love to TJE for really finishing this play. Not that I think ADavis could have stopped Johnson from scoring, but it's nice to see that TJE's motor was still going strong this late in the game.

That play was more of terrible recognition and delayed throw by Austin Davis. He stares at the slot running the out, realizes Cox has the out covered, then Austin rolls to the right a little and throws the underneath too late.

If he read Cox properly, he would have had time to make the underneath throw.

Johnson, I think back peddled too far and could have been called for illegal contact. He should have stayed 5 yards away for the redirection and it would have put him in better position to stop the underneath if Austin Davis read it properly.

Either way, Austin made the incorrect read, threw it late which made Johnson able to jump it.

Didn't say anything about TJE causing the bad throw...not sure what you're responding to. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

LOL, I was too lazy to quote the original post and delete the extra images.

Originally posted by dj43:
NO! That could NEVER be!

On the serious side, I believe the offense WANTS him to be that leader, and he may be getting close. However, I think there is a maturity component that he has not yet hit. I recall Kevin Lynch (Chronicle reporter who follows the team closely) recalling standing next to Joe Staley watching Colin being interviewed after a loss. CK was wearing designer dark glasses and his ever-present Beats and looking cool while giving short, not-very-responsive answers to the reporters who were trying to do their job getting info for the fans. As Kaepernick continued on in this vein, Staley turned to Lynch and said, "If I didn't know Colin as well as I do I would think he is a real a**hole."

So for the sake of discussion, let's assume that Lynch accurately reported the comment. If that is the case, Staley is saying that Kaepernick needs a bit of schooling about how to be "that guy."

A guy can be a very good player but not yet ready to assume the full mantle of both representing and leading the team. I believe that is where Kaepernick is now and it was reflected in jonnydel's comments in the OP. There is still that certain "something" that is missing. Perhaps it is that unflappable Montana cool where he can look up in the stands at a critical moment and point out a celebrity. CK has lost track of the play clock on too many occasions to suggest he is close to that level yet. When those kinds of things happen, teammates naturally are let down. Overthrow an open receiver? Frustrating but it happens to the best on occasion. Take a sack when you might have been able to throw it away? That too happens. Losing track of the play clock? No. That should not happen to the leader of the offense.

This upcoming Denver game will show us a lot about this team and the offense. I hope it is a breakthrough game for Kaepernick. It will be the biggest stage he has been on since the Super Bowl, perhaps even bigger if he envisions himself taking the mantle from Manning.

Okay im going to respect your opinions about his play but, I disagree about your judgement of his maturity. Just because he isn't wearing a suit or tie doesnt mean he is immature or childish.
I think that just because the world revolves around perception doesn't mean its right. I have heard that Kaep has made it one of his goals to try and shed this stigma from what an average young man might look like in certain cultures. He isn't a thug because he has tattoos and he isn't a baffoon for wearing a flat brimmed hat and jordans. He may be immature but, it has nothing to do with his style of clothing. I believe he has showed signs both ways but, is above average for his age.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
NO! That could NEVER be!

On the serious side, I believe the offense WANTS him to be that leader, and he may be getting close. However, I think there is a maturity component that he has not yet hit. I recall Kevin Lynch (Chronicle reporter who follows the team closely) recalling standing next to Joe Staley watching Colin being interviewed after a loss. CK was wearing designer dark glasses and his ever-present Beats and looking cool while giving short, not-very-responsive answers to the reporters who were trying to do their job getting info for the fans. As Kaepernick continued on in this vein, Staley turned to Lynch and said, "If I didn't know Colin as well as I do I would think he is a real a**hole."

So for the sake of discussion, let's assume that Lynch accurately reported the comment. If that is the case, Staley is saying that Kaepernick needs a bit of schooling about how to be "that guy."

A guy can be a very good player but not yet ready to assume the full mantle of both representing and leading the team. I believe that is where Kaepernick is now and it was reflected in jonnydel's comments in the OP. There is still that certain "something" that is missing. Perhaps it is that unflappable Montana cool where he can look up in the stands at a critical moment and point out a celebrity. CK has lost track of the play clock on too many occasions to suggest he is close to that level yet. When those kinds of things happen, teammates naturally are let down. Overthrow an open receiver? Frustrating but it happens to the best on occasion. Take a sack when you might have been able to throw it away? That too happens. Losing track of the play clock? No. That should not happen to the leader of the offense.

This upcoming Denver game will show us a lot about this team and the offense. I hope it is a breakthrough game for Kaepernick. It will be the biggest stage he has been on since the Super Bowl, perhaps even bigger if he envisions himself taking the mantle from Manning.

Okay im going to respect your opinions about his play but, I disagree about your judgement of his maturity. Just because he isn't wearing a suit or tie doesnt mean he is immature or childish.
I think that just because the world revolves around perception doesn't mean its right. I have heard that Kaep has made it one of his goals to try and shed this stigma from what an average young man might look like in certain cultures. He isn't a thug because he has tattoos and he isn't a baffoon for wearing a flat brimmed hat and jordans. He may be immature but, it has nothing to do with his style of clothing. I believe he has showed signs both ways but, is above average for his age.

this
  • dj43
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
NO! That could NEVER be!

I don't think he is a thug. In fact, I know he isn't. He grew up in the next town south of me. I know quite a bit about him as a high school player and his involvement in various other activities.

He isn't a thug because he has tattoos or because of his choice in clothes. He has always been one of the first to jump on new styles, even before he came to SF.

He is a bit immature when he comes to a press conference looking like a Hollywood star and giving short, trite answers to the media. Remember, it was Joe Staley's comment that led me to the above post. He is a bit immature when he loses track of the play clock and has to take a TO or delay of game penalty. That is why I think he will become the offensive leader the team needs when he no longer is making those kind of mistakes.
Da fuq does play clock management have to do with a mans maturity? If anything, the whole interview a hole demeanor seems to have rubbed off from harbaugh. Prior to him being an official starter he was open and would joke around. He didn't always act the way he does. It has nothing to do with maturity and everything to do with the media being giant dick wads.

I couldn't care less about his interview demeanor, in fact I support him. The media tried to rip his family apart and tore him as a person down. He owes them absolutely nothing. Not to mention he's seen his teammates go down in flames over small slip ups (ie: Cully and Moss prior to the superbowl). Better off just not saying much rather than possibly say something that will put an even bigger target on his back.

We can all agree actions speak louder than words. He's constantly involved in charities yet doesn't feel the need to plaster it all in people's faces. He's not out getting in any kind of trouble. He does things the right way yet some people feel the need to nitpick the smallest things.

F the media, and F the post game pressers. It's not like we learn anything from it we didn't already know. All its good for is giving the media heads talking points and more reasons to bag on the niners.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I don't think he is a thug. In fact, I know he isn't. He grew up in the next town south of me. I know quite a bit about him as a high school player and his involvement in various other activities.

He isn't a thug because he has tattoos or because of his choice in clothes. He has always been one of the first to jump on new styles, even before he came to SF.

He is a bit immature when he comes to a press conference looking like a Hollywood star and giving short, trite answers to the media. Remember, it was Joe Staley's comment that led me to the above post. He is a bit immature when he loses track of the play clock and has to take a TO or delay of game penalty. That is why I think he will become the offensive leader the team needs when he no longer is making those kind of mistakes.

Lol at this argument.
Nice Borland breakdown thl ... thank you
  • GORO
  • Veteran
a) Kaepernick can still be effective when the run game is taken away. I did not feel like Alex Smith could win a game when it was taken away.

B) Defensive coaches as excellent teachers and it shows in whom ever they have on the field. Wish the Wr coach and OC can have the same success. No young wide out developing into a future starter under Morton and Roman has less than 10 estimated 300 yd passing yards by a Qb since 2011

C) Looking forward to the Denver game cause nobody is picking 49ers to win, Harbaugh gonna get them ready.

I understand your point of view, but all players handle the media differently. I would like him to be more like Brees, sounding thoughtful and open but that's not who he is at this point. Not many players are as smooth as Brees...not Rodgers or Romo...Brady and P Manning are probably close. Those guys all have succeeded and can relax a bit...they have a great deal of credibility with the media...sort of darlings of the press.

Staley's comment is closer to saying he would hope everyone could know CK as he does, then the criticism could be better informed.

Also agree with Dsoto87 that he is taking his cue from Harbaugh and sounds very much like him. But I wouldn't hold up Harbaugh as a media expert either! LOL!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone