LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Is it FINALLY time to drop Culliver on the depth chart? We should have...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know some like Culliver and some have wanted him out for a while now.

But with our other Vets injured and our youngsters starting...it's even MORE important that we don't have brain farts. .like the one he had against the Rams.

He also still hasn't learned and continues to get in opposing players faces after they make good plays..and God forbid he makes a good play. We can't have brain farts and preventable penalties with the way our defense is right now.

I personally would like to see Cook start in his place until Brock gets back. Cook looked like our best cover corner in preseason, and played well last night. I was surprised to see him inactive to start the season.

Cook is also fast and 6'2.

So for now..

Cox
Cook
Ward (if healthy)
Culliver
Johnson (although I wouldn't mind him ahead of Culliver)
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM ]
Cully almost seems to lightweight for some receivers. Last night it seemed if he didnt jump on top of guys and use every ounce of body weight he had they werent going down.
Im not ready to have Cook start against one of the best QB's in the game
Originally posted by jreff22:
Im not ready to have Cook start against one of the best QB's in the game

If Austin Davis fooled Culliver, I don't want to think what Manning and Thomas will do to him.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
If Austin Davis fooled Culliver, I don't want to think what Manning and Thomas will do to him.

clearly the weak link in this D....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I dare you to say that to his face.
Dontae Johnson is better.
It will be interesting to see what happens when Brock gets back. Cox has been playing out of his mind, they need to keep him where he's at.

That leaves Culliver, who is prone to the occasional brain fart, but overall has been pretty decent. I understand people will eternally hate him for the SB, but for the most part he's holding his own. Last night was the 1st TD he gave up on the season. It's one thing if he's getting picked on repeatedly, but he's not. There are plenty of plays on film where he has good coverage. His yards given up, and cmp % against him, are nearly identical to Cox, but he doesn't make plays on the ball like Cox does.

The secondary is performing extremely well as a UNIT. I don't want to mess with that group right now. Communication is key and these guys know what they're doing out there. No reason to make a change after we get hit on one well designed play-action.
Cully is basically Nate Clements 2.0
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Interesting idea. Cully seems to be the worst corner on our team behind Cook and Johnson. I know the latter two haven't done much but Cully stays getting worked. I'm not sure if this is the week to start a new corner tho. We might end up having to play 6 dbs anyway so we'll see.

Cox and Brock will likely surpass him on the depth chart, once Brock is back to 100%, but Cook?!?!?!?! Seriously? And who said Culliver is too light? He's our biggest corner (well, probably second, now that Johnson is here).
  • CMIO
If Cully plays 10-15 yards off his receiver this week, Peyton will have a field day with the slants, quick outs, QB screens, and in routes.

This is unacceptable. Both Ward and Culliver are liabilities; unfortunately, we don't have the personnel to fill their roles bc of injuries
we'll find out who the weak link is in the secondary really quickly come Sunday
Originally posted by CMIO:
If Cully plays 10-15 yards off his receiver this week, Peyton will have a field day with the slants, quick outs, QB screens, and in routes.

This is unacceptable. Both Ward and Culliver are liabilities; unfortunately, we don't have the personnel to fill their roles bc of injuries

#2 pass defense in the league, dude...That doesn't happen if two members of the secondary are "liabilities".

Can they be beat? Yes. Are they liabilities? No.
  • CMIO
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by CMIO:

#2 pass defense in the league, dude...That doesn't happen if two members of the secondary are "liabilities".

Can they be beat? Yes. Are they liabilities? No.

Number 2 bc we boast a great LB corp and our safeties are playing lights out. We've allowed the fewest 20+ yard pass plays this year, and I give full credit to Bethea, Reid, and Cox for that. Ward is too green to cover number one or even number two receivers, and Culliver to me is an accident waiting to happen. He plays way off his receiver, exposing himself to the short pass and then when the receivers go deep on him he can't locate the ball. You don't think Peyton sees this on gamefilm ? He's gonna carve Cully up.
Share 49ersWebzone