LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Week 6 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: If I'm going to defend him when he's bad then I have to also have a critical eye when he plays well...so...he STILL has at least one WTF throw every game. This time it was his first throw, tho Vernon didn't help him much there (more on that later). Also missed a few that could have been huge.

Overall tho...WOW. Total brainfart by Jenkins notwithstanding, that was a great throw to Lloyd. The Crab TD was pretty more for the route than the throw, but still...he stood in and made the throw. He SHOULD have had another TD to McDonald, but Vernon decided to play defense (again...more on that later).

The Boldin TD though. WWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!!! That was pretty. Kap is growing bit by bit, game by game. It may not be happening as fast as we like, but it's happening. He had a really rough night vs the Bears. A lot of that was due to a Rookie DB who is probably going to win rookie of the year. If you take that night out of the equation, Kaps stats for the year are 64.5 comp %, 9 TDs, 1 INT, and a 105.9 rating. As it is with that horrible game thrown in he still has a 97.

How about this stat: Average passing yards per start - 2012: 201, 2013: 199.8, 2014: 242.7. His TD % is the highest of his career. His completion % is the highest of his career.

He's improving.

2) TEs: Its time to sit Vernon down until he's healthy. Derek Carrier at 100% is far better than Vernon at 60% or 70%. BRUTALLY clear Vernon shouldn't have played. Head wasn't in the game, wasn't there physically, and was more of a detriment than a help in many cases. Dropped passes, broken up TD pass, False start, and little effort on first pass by Kap. He just isn't moving all that well. Its OK big guy, get healthy....this ain't last year when we had nothing but you and Boldin. I mean can you believe that Kap is having his best passing season so far and Vernon came into the game with 9 catches? We can win without you Vernon. Get healthy. McDonald? Maddening. He's got some jets, but every time he does something good its like I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.

3) Penalties: Dude. Ahmad. Its a simple rule. Don't hit the guy in the face...let alone twice in the same play. The much ballyhooed PI that was called on Cook that "turned the game"? Yeah, it was a bad call. No doubt about it. That doesn't explain the 31-3 score afterward that could have been 34 or 37 had then not gone for it on 4th down twice and kicked a field goal. It was a bad call...but come on now.

4) Running Game: I've kinda noticed this trend so pretty much expected to see what I saw yesterday. Teams that have had an issue stopping the run seem to stack like crazy and run blitz in fear of the Niner run game and have largely had success doing so. This has opened up the pass and Kap has played well in those instances. I expected the Niners to pass yesterday because I knew that the Rams would be putting 8 men in the box all night to force Kap to beat them...and that's exactly what happened. As for the runners themselves....Gore was Gore...not as fast or quick as he once was but found a few lanes to squeeze through. Hyde...I'm kinda starting to get concerned. I still think he'll be good mind you so don't get me wrong, but one of the things that has concerned me in recent weeks I'm seeing ALOT. Total lack of patience and because of that a bit of tunnel vision.

Now to be fair, he didn't have a lot of room to run and at times was dodging defenders in the backfield, but there was one run with about 51 seconds left in the 3rd that illustrates my point. He runs full bore right into the back of the O-Lineman even tho he had a hole just a foot or 2 to the left. He seems to do this a lot...just run into his lineman. I dunno if its because he's not seeing it or maybe its just because the game is moving so quickly for him and he's hyper...but he's not seeing the holes sometimes. He needs to slow it down a bit and learn some patience.

5) Gregg Williams: Suck it Gregg. Live by the blitz, die by the blitz. Peeps might be wondering why the hell Jenkins was one on one on Lloyd with no deep safety help with 25 seconds left in the first half. Gregg Williams. That's why. Didn't learn his lesson in the playoffs a few years back apparently. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

6) Cox: Pro Bowler. He cannot be removed from the starting lineup. He's been a player all year.

7) Youngsters: Lynch, Borland, and Johnson all played well. Unfortunately, we may see more of Borland in the next month than we'd like. I hope the young man us up to it.

8) O-Line: I came out of watching the game the first time thinking they didn't play all that well considering the rushing numbers. What I wasn't accounting for really was the blitzes they held back giving Kap time to throw and not get sacked even once. The Rams have one sack all season, but still...the O-Line held up down 2 big pieces in Davis and Iupati. Not a great game to be sure, but better than I though on initial viewing.

9) Defense in general: I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed. Down Aldon, Navorro, Willis, Dorsey and Brock. Just those LBs alone would be like Seattle losing Sherman, Chancellor and Earl Thomas at the same time. Lost Whitner, Rogers, and Brown to Free Agency. All of those losses...and they are the second rated defense in the NFL. Vic Fangio might be the best DC in the NFL right now. He's getting pressure with Brooks, Lynch and Skuta right now. LOL.

10) Denver: Yikes. As I stated in point #9, the defense has played great....but this is Manning and company. I'm hopeful, but not confident. It should be fun though. :D
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM ]
This is closer to what I expect from the passing game all season long.

Anyone think the fall off from starting oline to patch work line is not a great as it should be?

i pray they don't chase any of these guys with elite money.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

9) Defense in general: I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed. Down Aldon, Navorro, Bowman, Dorsey and Brock. Just those LBs alone would be like Seattle losing Sherman, Chancellor and Earl Thomas at the same time. Lost Whitner, Rogers, and Brown to Free Agency. All of those losses...and they are the second rated defense in the NFL. Vic Fangio might be the best DC in the NFL right now. He's getting pressure with Brooks, Lynch and Skuta right now. LOL.

were we really without Navorro AND Bowman? lol just busting your chops.....nice breakdown
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

9) Defense in general: I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed. Down Aldon, Navorro, Bowman, Dorsey and Brock. Just those LBs alone would be like Seattle losing Sherman, Chancellor and Earl Thomas at the same time. Lost Whitner, Rogers, and Brown to Free Agency. All of those losses...and they are the second rated defense in the NFL. Vic Fangio might be the best DC in the NFL right now. He's getting pressure with Brooks, Lynch and Skuta right now. LOL.

were we really without Navorro AND Bowman? lol just busting your chops.....nice breakdown

oops. Fixed.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Anyone think the fall off from starting oline to patch work line is not a great as it should be?

pretty much
Kap's road numbers this year are:

69.8%
789 yards
6 tds
0 ints
115.3 qb rating

Those are pretty special numbers.

My favorite throw of the night was the td to crabs. I always loved the Dino route and crabs ran it great.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Baalke drafted well. We do have good depth. It's going to be an offensive track meet next game with the donkeys. 3 more games and we get Aldon back. Donkeys are favored by 7. One of next week's keys is our run game. When Iupati went down it looked like the run game tanked but the pass protection improved. I hope our dinged up guys recover fast.
Thanks for the timely, concise, yet thorough run down!
Didn't like the macho running over and over into the middles when there was no way to block all the defenders. No need to "establish the run" when that is playing into the hands of the defense. It is more like "establishing something that can't work".

Since it seems that the Niners might have to score a bunch of points to stay with Denver it was discouraging that they did not score far more against a lessor team.
Yep, amazing game or Kap 343, 3 tds (should have been 4) but like you said still has that 1 or 2 wtf throw a game. That one that should be picked but isnt usually because he puts so much mustard on it (no alex smith pun intended). Just have to hope he gets away with them especially in the big games or playoffs but against Seattle, the Bears it killed us.

Props to Jimmie Ward too who minus the Bears game where he had no business playing on Marshall (3tds given up I think) hasn't been that bad. Reid said 1 td against the Cards was his fault for not giving him help. He's getting better and better. Props to these d coaches especially Fangio, Donatell and Leavitt for continuing to make a great defense despite losing so many big names to FA each year and plugging in UDFA and guys you have to google where there college is. IE: Washburn, Belhaven. Not to mention the island of misfits with the Skuta's and Cook's of the world.

Agree Hyde is a little concerning at times the way he keeps running into the back of his guys. On the 4th and goal from the 1 looney made a big enough hole and he should have been able to get in the end zone. No reason to get stopped an inch short but I'd have to see the play again. He can make some nice cuts but on occasion is missing holes, running into the back of his own guy. I do like his attitude a lot and his size/way he runs but he can learn some patience from Gore and how to get lower especially on the short yardage.

As for Vernon it seems no matter how unhealthy he is whenever he is out there we just seem more explosive. I think he could be out there in crutches and would still make a great decoy. He just draws so much attention. I agree though horrible game for him.

As much as I wish we would go for the throat and we all complain when we don't I think they got carried away last night. Now I can live with what they did I just really really hate Roman predictable run up the middle vs 12 guys. Same with the call to run out the clock... at least bootleg it let kap keep it only throw if someone open. Just running up the middle when everyone knows it's coming is so Singletary. Roman is so smart and so dumb at the same time. Horrible calls but he did call a nice game overall.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM ]

Originally posted by Dshearn:

Exactly my thoughts. If Iupati's value is his run game dominance, why did the run game fare the same before his injury as it did after? Staley deserves big bucks. No one else is special.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Kap's road numbers this year are:

69.8%
789 yards
6 tds
0 ints
115.3 qb rating

Those are pretty special numbers.

My favorite throw of the night was the td to crabs. I always loved the Dino route and crabs ran it great.

I agree with you about VD, but I think the Niners like when he's in there (100% or not) because he's a nightmare matchup for the opponent's DC.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Exactly my thoughts. If Iupati's value is his run game dominance, why did the run game fare the same before his injury as it did after? Staley deserves big bucks. No one else is special.

At a certain point most or all of us wanted to re-sign Iupati, Boone, Crabtree, Culliver, etc but right now I'm not sure it's wise to re-sign any of them. Will be tough to replace them but might be in our best interest to let these guys go and get younger and cheaper and hopefully just come close to their production. I'm still not jumping off the McDonald and especially Brooks need to take big paycuts or we will have to at least think about cutting or trading them. McDonald is only signed for 1 more year so thats one thing but Brooks is signed for 3 x 9 mil. His first good game of the season with 2 sacks (but wasnt hard to get them this game 5 total) yet he offsets it by costing us probably 4-7 points with his penalty. We go from like 2nd and 20-25 after the sack on say the 40-50 to 1st down at the 25 or whatever. Id have to go back and look.

Edit: Beautifully run route by crabtree. this wasnt addressed but does it seem like we are phasing him out? maybe we want to use all our weapons and Romans not use to using more than 1-2 weapons let alone 5-9. still seems weird how much he is on the sidelines.. you would think we keep crabtree in and rotate Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd as #2 and then one in for #3. Also, he seemed pretty pissed after that td. he's not the diva everyone says he was but I dont think he was ever a great team guy and I could see him being the one to pout and spread rumors.

Edit again: I'll also add the playclock management. Is that 2 games in a row without burning a timeout or a delay of game? Can't remember just know its a ton better right now. Penalties in general have gotten better these past 2-3 games. 5 for 23 last night, 2 for whatever vs the chiefs, 10 for 80 vs eagles (and yes thats improvement from 16 for 150 of whatever)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

I loved it in '89 with joe throwing it, I loved it in '98 with steve and to no surprise I love kap throwing it
Share 49ersWebzone