LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

SO you don't have to hear it from Ram fans today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
From the NFL rule book:

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

From me:
Offensive players can establish contact with defenders while run blocking, or when executing a fake block, for the purpose of play action, but they have to stop blocking before the ball is thrown. Further, the intended receiver can not be the one executing the fake block, or initiate contact with the defender in any way. I coached Pee Wee football, and used to get flagged for this all the time. You have the TE execute a stout fake block on the LB and turn to take a dump off from the QB, or some time the RB on a fake, it's devastatingly effective, until some coach points out your cheating. So yeah I drew up and ill eagle play that worked well, sue me! Anyway, last nights call, while ricky tacky, was correct, sorry Chucky, but you ought to read the rule book more often.
Imagine if receivers could make first contact with defenders on pass plays, you could line Staley up wide, and have him truck some little corner, turn and catch a pass!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Oct 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
From the NFL rule book:

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

From me:
Offensive players can establish contact with defenders while run blocking, or when executing a fake block, for the purpose of play action, but they have to stop blocking before the ball is thrown. Further, the intended receiver can not be the one executing the fake block, or innate contact with the defender in any way. I coached Pee Wee football, and used to get flagged for this all the time. You have the TE execute a stout fake block on the LB and turn to take a dump off from the QB, or some time the RB on a fake, it's devastatingly effective, until some coach points out your cheating. So yeah I drew up and ill eagle play that worked well, sue me! Anyway, last nights call, while ricky tacky, was correct, sorry Chucky, but you ought to read the rule book more often.
Imagine if recovers could make first contact with defenders on pass plays, you could line Staley up wide, and have him truck some little corner, turn and catch a pass!

True. I know I would run that play with Staley all day
I thought this was a makeup call for that hold on Reid, that wasn't called, during one of their TDs.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
I thought this was a makeup call for that hold on Reid, that wasn't called, during one of their TDs.

I didn't see what happened to Reid. But I saw Dahl get held around his neck on that play.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:

Could be, it was a pretty petty call.
I thought the call was meant to fix the game a little to keep the game close.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

I don't want to think that, but as time goes on, and watching other games, this suspicion is becoming the only logical explanation.
Wait....there are Ram fans? Dont think I've seen one of those since 2001.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 14, 2014 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Geeked:

I don't want to think that, but as time goes on, and watching other games, this suspicion is becoming the only logical explanation.

I mean how often do they throw that flag!? That was the penalty that really swung the momentum because it killed the Rams drive, and then Kaep hit Lloyd for the 80 yarder, and then the rest is history.

I'll take it though!!!
i called it when it happened, knew it was a legit call

I mean how often do they throw that flag!? That was the penalty that really swung the momentum because it killed the Rams drive, and then Kaep hit Lloyd for the 80 yarder, and then the rest is history.

I'll take it though!!!

I thought the worst call/non call was on the rams first td. Dahl was held pretty bad, could've made that a fg instead of a td drive.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dahl getting the choke hold. lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I completely missed this during the broadcast, but it truly makes me wonder what the refs are looking at. Dahl was wrapped up from behind around the neck and tackled. It wasn't even close to a legit block.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
From the NFL rule book:

From me:
Offensive players can establish contact with defenders while run blocking, or when executing a fake block, for the purpose of play action, but they have to stop blocking before the ball is thrown. Further, the intended receiver can not be the one executing the fake block, or initiate contact with the defender in any way. I coached Pee Wee football, and used to get flagged for this all the time. You have the TE execute a stout fake block on the LB and turn to take a dump off from the QB, or some time the RB on a fake, it's devastatingly effective, until some coach points out your cheating. So yeah I drew up and ill eagle play that worked well, sue me! Anyway, last nights call, while ricky tacky, was correct, sorry Chucky, but you ought to read the rule book more often.
Imagine if receivers could make first contact with defenders on pass plays, you could line Staley up wide, and have him truck some little corner, turn and catch a pass!

I was arguing this point in the gameday thread (WHY do I ever go in there?), and was in the minority. We are such sheep as a people, "The TV said it was bad, so it must be bad!" The groupthink by the national media is the WORST.
Share 49ersWebzone