LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

This Team Will Never Get Respect Unless It Wins the Lombardi

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, I'm whining. I'm whining about the media and fans. Everyone seems to believe that this team is a bunch of pretenders. Every game that we lose, it's the end of the world--the players hate the coach, the locker room is full of rapists and wife-beaters and Harbaugh is going to coach Michigan. When we win, the media and fans here constantly moves the goalposts. Yes, we won, but the other team had injuries. Yes, we won but we can't score in the second half. No wait, we can't score TOUCHDOWNS in second half. No wait, we can't score in the 4th quarter.

Now when playing a team that everyone knows we should beat, there's all kinds of skepticism about this team. But when it comes to another team, all of their issues are ignored. The Packers almost lost to the Dolphins, but it's fine, they won the game. Aaron Rodgers is god incarnate. There is no one talking about the fact that they "barely won" against a clearly inferior opponent. There was no pouring over the stats sheet to find ridiculous stats like no fourth quarter touch downs. Seattle got futt bucked yesterday, but they get a pass and are still seen as the best team in football.

I hate to go all Rodney Dangerfield with this, but what will it take to get respect. Obviously the bar is higher with this team. There is always an asterisk next to our accomplishments and when we fail, it's the only time you hear about the team on ESPN and NFL Network. Is it the city the team represents? Outside of popular culture, San Francisco is portrayed as the AIDS-infested anus of America. Or is it the familiar refrain of "East Coast bias"? I don't get it. The problem I have with all of this is that this mentality seems to be bleeding through to the fan base as well. If we beat the Rams soundly tonight, watch the Asterisk Crew come out in full force, "Yeah, we won, but..." Especially NFL Network. I guess I'll be happy if they acknowledge that there was actually a game tonight.

Will beating Denver scare off the vultures? Or will the Asterisk Crew show up in full force? "Well the Niners won, but Peyton Manning had an off night."
Capt obvious

Did not read
If you were watching NFL Gameday recap last night, you've got to agree with most of this post. For at least 20 minutes, you had Sanders and Irvin raving about how the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL. They also couldn't stop talking about that dynamic Eagles offense. I never heard any mention of the Niners in any way during the course of the time I was watching. And the strange thing is that the Niners are the only team that has beaten both the Cowboys and the Eagles.
They get respect but great teams are subject to being critizied. If Smith can suite up at the Denver game then that should be the preasure we need on Manning.
Originally posted by Constantine:
They get respect but great teams are subject to being critizied. If Smith can suite up at the Denver game then that should be the preasure we need on Manning.

Which Smith would that be? Because if you are talking about Aldon, he's still suspended for 3 more games after tonights game.
Originally posted by crake49:
If you were watching NFL Gameday recap last night, you've got to agree with most of this post. For at least 20 minutes, you had Sanders and Irvin raving about how the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL. They also couldn't stop talking about that dynamic Eagles offense. I never heard any mention of the Niners in any way during the course of the time I was watching. And the strange thing is that the Niners are the only team that has beaten both the Cowboys and the Eagles.

Who the cr@p cares what these two "think". They only want to push Dallas anyway. Does this bother me? No. I don't care what people like that say.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Around the league the niners are plenty respected and feared. Just because the talking heads on the TV dont suck our d&#ks its doesnt mean we are not respected in the NFL circles.
Originally posted by susweel:
Around the league the niners are plenty respected and feared. Just because the talking heads on the TV dont suck our d&#ks its doesnt mean we are not respected in the NFL circles.

everywhere but up in seattle.
Originally posted by English:

Who the cr@p cares what these two "think". They only want to push Dallas anyway. Does this bother me? No. I don't care what people like that say.
I agree. But I did want to see some highlights and those two idiots wouldn't shut the f×@k up about the cowginas! It was annoying.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by susweel:

everywhere but up in seattle.

hey they get their ass beat every time they come down here.

Niners won't get the respect in those stories while they are 1 game over .500. They also won't get it because they are expected to be good. It's a different standard.

These are just talking heads on TV that need a new story to talk about.

I really don't care what they do or don't talk about.
If you were watching NFL Gameday recap last night, you've got to agree with most of this post. For at least 20 minutes, you had Sanders and Irvin raving about how the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL. They also couldn't stop talking about that dynamic Eagles offense. I never heard any mention of the Niners in any way during the course of the time I was watching. And the strange thing is that the Niners are the only team that has beaten EITHER the Cowboys and the Eagles.

Fixed.

Hopefully, the stars align and we get a home playoff game vs. Cowboys where all the pundits are still riding that star-studded jock... And we end their season in convincing fashion.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
who gives a s**t, the team does not, Jh does not,, we should not
Share 49ersWebzone