LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Are we giving up on Hunter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not at all. The Niners were already talking about signing him to an extension when he got hurt. He would be a great reserve/change of pace RB/KR to have on the roster.
Pretty much all depends on Lattimore. If he comes in and proves he has overcome his injury then I don't think the niners will try and resign Hunter. I really don't see Gore going someplace else next season so having Hyde, Lattimore and Gore looks pretty good. Of course it looked like this year we would have Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hunter and LMJ and we all know how that turned out so you can never have too many RB's. If Hunter doesn't get any phone calls and resigns dirt cheap on a short contract then he could be coming back for TC competition if nothing else.
Giving up? This dudes been out two years? Smfh.
Decent backup but you can find backup running backs anywhere.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Hunter has had nothing but bad luck, playing behind Gore and being injured. He gives 100% and maybe he should be given a shot somewhere else.

He certainly is a damn hard worker and seems to be a great guy.

Bad luck - I don't see him coming back. Sure, we'll go through the usual motions of having him return to camp and all that - won't happen.

I feel, Gore will be resigned for another year, Hyde is the future and Lattimore has lots of promise.

2nd season ending injury - I just can't see him on our roster next season.
All depends on Latt

Yeah, but I still feel Hunter has way too much to overcome physically since this is his 2nd season ending injury.

if lat can't cut it, then I feel we'll look elsewhere.

Didn't Garrison Hearst have two season ending injuries?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Hunter has had nothing but bad luck, playing behind Gore and being injured. He gives 100% and maybe he should be given a shot somewhere else.

Bad luck - I don't see him coming back. Sure, we'll go through the usual motions of having him return to camp and all that - won't happen.

I feel, Gore will be resigned for another year, Hyde is the future and Lattimore has lots of promise.

All depends on Latt

Yeah, but I still feel Hunter has way too much to overcome physically since this is his 2nd season ending injury.

Please tell me you're not comparing Hearst to Hunter because that's like comparing apples to oranges...

All depends on Latt

I really can't recall.

Hunter, and I really like him, isn't in Garrison's league.

People are different and heal differently.

We'll see how it works out by the end of the season.
I really can't recall.

Hunter, and I really like him, isn't in Garrison's league.

People are different and heal differently.

We'll see how it works out by the end of the season.

The problem with Hearst was after his first surgery, and while he was healing, the bone in his ankle( I think ankle) wasn't circulating blood properly, so the bone stared to die. It was a major set back.
Originally posted by jcs:

All depends on Latt

Please tell me you're not comparing Hearst to Hunter because that's like comparing apples to oranges...

The point is, two season ending injuries doesn't mean your career is over.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hunter has been a so call "change of pace back", a speedster to attack the edges, and widen the box. He has looked good doing this, his speed forces teams to cheat out a little wider, opening plays between the tackles for him. Gore, does not do this, Gore gets the edges once in while, but every one knows Frank runs between the tackles, better then anyone Ive ever seen. Hyde is interesting, as he seems to be able to find the edge, Latimore is the wildcard, what can he do on the pro level, how good is he.

After his injury, if he still has his speed, Hunters value comes on running the kind of plays we have been giving Elington, reverses, sweeps, fly sweeps, and screens. It would seem that with 3 and 4 wide receivers sets Hunters elusiveness and speed will cause problems for defenses. I see a role for him, if healthy. Again Latimore is the wildcard, does he catch well, is he a good broken field runner, does he have speed?

Personally I am a big fan of Hunters, and hope for his return, but I can see how we will fine without him. Ellington is getting some chances to play a sort of hybrid, slot receiver, scatback, return man, and looking pretty good doing it. We will see how things shake out with free agents, and the salary cap next season, Hunter may become a victim of numbers, Ellington maybe needed as a WR more often, if we lose Crabtree, who knows what will unfold in the off season.

It is about the team, and this season, and nothing else at this point, all eyes on the prize, players fall, and it becomes the job of the next man up, and the job of the coaches to get the most from the next man up. Despite injuries, suspensions, and speculation from the media, the Sixthed Ring is a real possibility this season!

We've drafted a RB all 4 years of Harbaugh's tenure. Most likely we'll be drafting another RB in the next draft if that holds true, and most likelty Hunter will be battling an uphill battle to get his position back. I don't have high hopes for Hunter.

As much as I like Hunter, if the team finds a better player, I am not loyal to a single player on the roster. Every single one of them would leave for a better situation, that is the reality of free agency, it has fundamentally changed the way fans relate to the game. Between free agency and fantasy football, teams are no longer teams in the traditional sense of the word, but I digress.

I like what Hunter brings, but you are correct, if the team can draft a better player next year, or Latimore pans out, Hunter will have a hard time making the team. I do however think that we have been drafting big back ups for Gore, with an eye on his eventual replacement, if Hyde turns out to be that guy, then we may not draft a RB that makes the team next season. Hyde, Latimore, and Hunter could be the backs of the future, or not! If latimore and Hunter never fully recover, and Hyde returns to earth, we will be taking RB's for some time!

Hunter has been a so call "change of pace back", a speedster to attack the edges, and widen the box. He has looked good doing this, his speed forces teams to cheat out a little wider, opening plays between the tackles for him. Gore, does not do this, Gore gets the edges once in while, but every one knows Frank runs between the tackles, better then anyone Ive ever seen. Hyde is interesting, as he seems to be able to find the edge, Latimore is the wildcard, what can he do on the pro level, how good is he.

After his injury, if he still has his speed, Hunters value comes on running the kind of plays we have been giving Elington, reverses, sweeps, fly sweeps, and screens. It would seem that with 3 and 4 wide receivers sets Hunters elusiveness and speed will cause problems for defenses. I see a role for him, if healthy. Again Latimore is the wildcard, does he catch well, is he a good broken field runner, does he have speed?

Personally I am a big fan of Hunters, and hope for his return, but I can see how we will fine without him. Ellington is getting some chances to play a sort of hybrid, slot receiver, scatback, return man, and looking pretty good doing it. We will see how things shake out with free agents, and the salary cap next season, Hunter may become a victim of numbers, Ellington maybe needed as a WR more often, if we lose Crabtree, who knows what will unfold in the off season.

It is about the team, and this season, and nothing else at this point, all eyes on the prize, players fall, and it becomes the job of the next man up, and the job of the coaches to get the most from the next man up. Despite injuries, suspensions, and speculation from the media, the Sixthed Ring is a real possibility this season!

We've drafted a RB all 4 years of Harbaugh's tenure. Most likely we'll be drafting another RB in the next draft if that holds true, and most likelty Hunter will be battling an uphill battle to get his position back. I don't have high hopes for Hunter.

As much as I like Hunter, if the team finds a better player, I am not loyal to a single player on the roster. Every single one of them would leave for a better situation, that is the reality of free agency, it has fundamentally changed the way fans relate to the game. Between free agency and fantasy football, teams are no longer teams in the traditional sense of the word, but I digress.

I like what Hunter brings, but you are correct, if the team can draft a better player next year, or Latimore pans out, Hunter will have a hard time making the team. I do however think that we have been drafting big back ups for Gore, with an eye on his eventual replacement, if Hyde turns out to be that guy, then we may not draft a RB that makes the team next season. Hyde, Latimore, and Hunter could be the backs of the future, or not! If latimore and Hunter never fully recover, and Hyde returns to earth, we will be taking RB's for some time!

I don't think Lattimore's productivity this season has any bearing on what the team does with Hunter, or at least I hope it doesn't. They are different types of runners. Lattimore can be anything from a backup longterm to Hyde (or Hyde can be a backup to Lattimore). Hunter is the change of pace back. If they do draft a running back, I hope it's someone that has some serious speed (sub 4.4). Otherwise, they aren't providing anything different than what we already have. I think Kendall Hunter is fast enough and I'd feel comfortable with either of the three (Hunter, Lattimore, and Hyde) being the number 1 guy looking beyond 2015.

The one thing I do think Lattimore will effect is how high of a pick they use on a running back. If Lattimore looks good, then it's a late pick (6th/7th round) or undrafted. If Lattimore doesn't look so hot, then it could be higher.

I don't think Lattimore's productivity this season has any bearing on what the team does with Hunter, or at least I hope it doesn't. They are different types of runners. Lattimore can be anything from a backup longterm to Hyde (or Hyde can be a backup to Lattimore). Hunter is the change of pace back. If they do draft a running back, I hope it's someone that has some serious speed (sub 4.4). Otherwise, they aren't providing anything different than what we already have. I think Kendall Hunter is fast enough and I'd feel comfortable with either of the three (Hunter, Lattimore, and Hyde) being the number 1 guy looking beyond 2015.

The one thing I do think Lattimore will effect is how high of a pick they use on a running back. If Lattimore looks good, then it's a late pick (6th/7th round) or undrafted. If Lattimore doesn't look so hot, then it could be higher.

I agree, I know I should violently disagree so we can have a thread long argument, but yeah, I pretty much agree with you.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think the center position is overlooked. Kilgore replaces goodwin and franks numbers jump. If there is a part of the team you can keep around, I would think it would be the o-linemen. Point being as long as you have the O-linemen needed for your particular offense, even a diminished hunter can be productive and it shouldn't cost you an extraordinary amount of cap space because good o-linemen usually earn less than good skill position players. So I think free agency has made the skill positions have more turnover, but the O-line and D-line don't have to cost an arm and a leg or have the turnover the skill position players have.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think Lattimor will affect the decision to keep or let go Frank and hunter. As much as I like Frank, if Lattimore is an upgrade from a speed, vision, and pass catching ability standpoint, I don't think they have the roster space to keep hyde, gore, lattimore and hunter- even if they have the cap space to do it.
[ Edited by Giedi on Oct 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM ]
Aren't you people keeping up with the news?

FOX sports is reporting that Hunter has suddenly healed, but there is one problem. He has turned into a donkey. So they are digging through the rule books to see if they can legally play him in a game, since he can't fit into the regulation uniform.

The source is Jay Glazer, so we know it's solid info.
Share 49ersWebzone