LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Are we giving up on Hunter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not at all. Even if we do resign Gore for next season he isn't going to be here longterm. There is no reason for us to not offer Kendall Hunter a contract. He does well in this offense and is a good role player. It also probably won't be an expensive contract. With Kaepernick hitting more short passes to backs, I'd love to see how Hunter does in that role.
Nope...gave up on James, not Hunter.
I can see Gore re-signing for 1-2 years so could look like Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard. Re-signing Hunter might depend on how Lattimore plays if he gets a chance this year. We might offer Hunter a 1 year say 1 mil contract to see if he can come back from those few injuries the last 2-3 years. Even if he re-signs he could still get cut in camp if he's making that little (probably no guaranteed $ deal). Small chance we let Gore and possibly Hunter go and we take the best available RB at the end of the 1st or even trade down and then take one. Would be tough to pass up Gordon or Gurley if they made it that far. Wouldn't mind Gordon/Gurley, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard but I prefer we use our 1st on a DL or WR possibly if no Crabtree. Could end up being Gore, Hyde, Hunter, Lattimore, Millard and we either list Millard as the #2 FB and have 4 RB/2 FBs or Hunter possibly gets cut. Personally, depending on how Lattimore does I just re-sign Gore and go with Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard since Lattimore will have a had enough time getting caries with Gore and Hyde without Hunter. That being said I still see us offering him a 1 year cheap deal as a Lattimore backup plan. Unless Hunter wants to get a chance to get more playing time elsewhere I see us re-signing him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM ]
If Hyde takes his spot, he's done as a 9er. I like Kendall, though. Would like to see him get a shot but he's kinda injury prone it seems whether it's bad luck or not. Need the guy to stay healthy.
I certainly hope we are not giving up on Hunter. Latts still unknown and Hyde is a rookie and runs hard and will get knicked up here and there.
Hunter has been a so call "change of pace back", a speedster to attack the edges, and widen the box. He has looked good doing this, his speed forces teams to cheat out a little wider, opening plays between the tackles for him. Gore, does not do this, Gore gets the edges once in while, but every one knows Frank runs between the tackles, better then anyone Ive ever seen. Hyde is interesting, as he seems to be able to find the edge, Latimore is the wildcard, what can he do on the pro level, how good is he.

After his injury, if he still has his speed, Hunters value comes on running the kind of plays we have been giving Elington, reverses, sweeps, fly sweeps, and screens. It would seem that with 3 and 4 wide receivers sets Hunters elusiveness and speed will cause problems for defenses. I see a role for him, if healthy. Again Latimore is the wildcard, does he catch well, is he a good broken field runner, does he have speed?

Personally I am a big fan of Hunters, and hope for his return, but I can see how we will fine without him. Ellington is getting some chances to play a sort of hybrid, slot receiver, scatback, return man, and looking pretty good doing it. We will see how things shake out with free agents, and the salary cap next season, Hunter may become a victim of numbers, Ellington maybe needed as a WR more often, if we lose Crabtree, who knows what will unfold in the off season.

It is about the team, and this season, and nothing else at this point, all eyes on the prize, players fall, and it becomes the job of the next man up, and the job of the coaches to get the most from the next man up. Despite injuries, suspensions, and speculation from the media, the Sixthed Ring is a real possibility this season!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I can see Gore re-signing for 1-2 years so could look like Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard. Re-signing Hunter might depend on how Lattimore plays if he gets a chance this year. We might offer Hunter a 1 year say 1 mil contract to see if he can come back from those few injuries the last 2-3 years. Even if he re-signs he could still get cut in camp if he's making that little (probably no guaranteed $ deal). Small chance we let Gore and possibly Hunter go and we take the best available RB at the end of the 1st or even trade down and then take one. Would be tough to pass up Gordon or Gurley if they made it that far. Wouldn't mind Gordon/Gurley, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard but I prefer we use our 1st on a DL or WR possibly if no Crabtree. Could end up being Gore, Hyde, Hunter, Lattimore, Millard and we either list Millard as the #2 FB and have 4 RB/2 FBs or Hunter possibly gets cut. Personally, depending on how Lattimore does I just re-sign Gore and go with Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Millard since Lattimore will have a had enough time getting caries with Gore and Hyde without Hunter. That being said I still see us offering him a 1 year cheap deal as a Lattimore backup plan. Unless Hunter wants to get a chance to get more playing time elsewhere I see us re-signing him.

I can see us keeping gore for 1 more year, and letting Hunter go. Specially if Lattimore and Hyde are 100%.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hunter has been a so call "change of pace back", a speedster to attack the edges, and widen the box. He has looked good doing this, his speed forces teams to cheat out a little wider, opening plays between the tackles for him. Gore, does not do this, Gore gets the edges once in while, but every one knows Frank runs between the tackles, better then anyone Ive ever seen. Hyde is interesting, as he seems to be able to find the edge, Latimore is the wildcard, what can he do on the pro level, how good is he.

After his injury, if he still has his speed, Hunters value comes on running the kind of plays we have been giving Elington, reverses, sweeps, fly sweeps, and screens. It would seem that with 3 and 4 wide receivers sets Hunters elusiveness and speed will cause problems for defenses. I see a role for him, if healthy. Again Latimore is the wildcard, does he catch well, is he a good broken field runner, does he have speed?

Personally I am a big fan of Hunters, and hope for his return, but I can see how we will fine without him. Ellington is getting some chances to play a sort of hybrid, slot receiver, scatback, return man, and looking pretty good doing it. We will see how things shake out with free agents, and the salary cap next season, Hunter may become a victim of numbers, Ellington maybe needed as a WR more often, if we lose Crabtree, who knows what will unfold in the off season.

It is about the team, and this season, and nothing else at this point, all eyes on the prize, players fall, and it becomes the job of the next man up, and the job of the coaches to get the most from the next man up. Despite injuries, suspensions, and speculation from the media, the Sixthed Ring is a real possibility this season!

We've drafted a RB all 4 years of Harbaugh's tenure. Most likely we'll be drafting another RB in the next draft if that holds true, and most likelty Hunter will be battling an uphill battle to get his position back. I don't have high hopes for Hunter.
No. He will be back next year. Probably on a 3 year deal. I just dont see a team trying to make him a feature back so hes still going to be a back up. The only way he leaves is if a contender dangles some promises to him but im sure he will want to stay here. I actually think a real good fit for him would be the Packers but we will see
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-want-re-sign-injured-hunter

"We'd love to have Kendall," Baalke said. "Kendall is a tremendous football player and an even better young man. What's the likelihood? It's not even worth speculating at this point, but Kendall knows, as does his representative, exactly how we feel about him on both sides –- as a person and as a player."

Can't worry about players who are unable to play
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Can't worry about players who are unable to play

this. when we're in season, guys like this are the last thing on my mind.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Hunter has had nothing but bad luck, playing behind Gore and being injured. He gives 100% and maybe he should be given a shot somewhere else.

He certainly is a damn hard worker and seems to be a great guy.

Bad luck - I don't see him coming back. Sure, we'll go through the usual motions of having him return to camp and all that - won't happen.

I feel, Gore will be resigned for another year, Hyde is the future and Lattimore has lots of promise.

2nd season ending injury - I just can't see him on our roster next season.
All depends on Latt

Yeah, but I still feel Hunter has way too much to overcome physically since this is his 2nd season ending injury.

if lat can't cut it, then I feel we'll look elsewhere.
Yeah, but I still feel Hunter has way too much to overcome physically since this is his 2nd season ending injury.

I believe this. Its a shame. I am a Hunter fan and wish things panned out. And the 49ers would have been so much better off if we had him for the SB.
Originally posted by facestabber:

I believe this. Its a shame. I am a Hunter fan and wish things panned out. And the 49ers would have been so much better off if we had him for the SB.

It is a shame!

I hate seeing hard working quality guys going through such adversity - but that's the hand he's been dealt.
Share 49ersWebzone