LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Niners PFF scores: Week 5

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think the rating on Kap is too harsh.

And it's great to see Lynch killing it!

Kap made a lot of really stupid throws. Hes lucky he didnt throw any picks. He gets very careless when hes being flushed out of the pocket.

That throw to Lloyd wouldve been a disaster if he didnt make one of the catches of the year. Threw it up off his heels under pressure to a WR who was well covered.

Im a huge Kap supporter, but this wasnt his finest game.

Also, notice Brooks in dead last again on D. I talked to a PFF guy last year about how Brooks could keep drawing terrible scores, and he basically told me that Brooks' only job is pretty much rushing the passer, and hes been terrible. He accumulates pressures and sacks out of pure volume of attempts, but his success rate is terrible.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't get how Gore got only a +0.5 running the ball. Is it because the holes were so large that any RB with half a brain could have ran through it? Gore was badass.

Yeah, they attributed most of his success to Staley and Lupati.

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
5 f**king snaps for Stevie Johnson
I think he was hurt or sick.

They reported mid week that he was sick, so yeah that's probably why he played so little. I'm sure he'll be ready to go this week, especially since he has an extra day.
Originally posted by Disp:
I don't get how Gore got only a +0.5 running the ball. Is it because the holes were so large that any RB with half a brain could have ran through it? Gore was badass.

Yeah, they attributed most of his success to Staley and Lupati.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
5 f**king snaps for Stevie Johnson
I think he was hurt or sick.

They reported mid week that he was sick, so yeah that's probably why he played so little. I'm sure he'll be ready to go this week, especially since he has an extra day.

Still got us a touchdown
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think the rating on Kap is too harsh.

And it's great to see Lynch killing it!

Kap made a lot of really stupid throws. Hes lucky he didnt throw any picks. He gets very careless when hes being flushed out of the pocket.

That throw to Lloyd wouldve been a disaster if he didnt make one of the catches of the year. Threw it up off his heels under pressure to a WR who was well covered.

Im a huge Kap supporter, but this wasnt his finest game.

Also, notice Brooks in dead last again on D. I talked to a PFF guy last year about how Brooks could keep drawing terrible scores, and he basically told me that Brooks' only job is pretty much rushing the passer, and hes been terrible. He accumulates pressures and sacks out of pure volume of attempts, but his success rate is terrible.

Every QB must throw some that requires their receiver to make a play.

As for Lynch, man! I think I'm most excited about him when Aldon gets back.

That doesn't sound right. You mean PFF doesn't think an outside linebacker's ability to set the edge doesn't make much of any difference?
Doesn't matter what browser I use on my phone, I can't see pics on the mobile site the f**k? Can someone tell me what grade Lynch had last game?
DeSean Jackson caught 5 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown and finished with a -0.9 score for the game. What!? (According to PFF, "two drops hurt his score"). PFF is great, but you've certainly got to take the grades with a grain of salt!

I know I laugh at some of these grades myself...we should just do our own. Like Brooks got a -.5 in pass defense after knocking down the most critical 3rd down of the game? That should probably carry just a LITTLE bit more weight. So when he drops back in coverage, he's supposed to knock down every pass like a DB? It's a tough job to analyze this info and assign a value to them.
Originally posted by murphy25:
Doesn't matter what browser I use on my phone, I can't see pics on the mobile site the f**k? Can someone tell me what grade Lynch had last game?
Here you go:

Offense: http://tinyurl.com/njhq9az
Defense: http://tinyurl.com/kwp2bvy
Originally posted by 49erphan:

That doesn't sound right. You mean PFF doesn't think an outside linebacker's ability to set the edge doesn't make much of any difference?

This is SOOOOO poor of a job by their operational defintion. A SAM's job, secondary, is to rush the passer unlike the WILL which is the primary responsibility. And dropping back in zones to help clog up passing lanes, covering RB's out of the backfield, switching from the SAM to WILL, rushing from the DL and/or dropping back in coverage from there (pick-6). That's just a very poor job of an operational defintion! Stat geeks, of course. Very little perspective on the game and ACTUAL responsibilities.

• Disp
  • Veteran

Nah, that's not what they mean. Last year Aldon's snaps were basically 55% pass rush/10% pass defense/35% run defense (306/51/225 snaps). Brooks was 45% pass rush/20% pass defense/35% run defense (467/129/387 snaps). Brooks rushes the passer almost as much as Aldon; only difference is he plays a little more coverage.
DeSean Jackson caught 5 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown and finished with a -0.9 score for the game. What!? (According to PFF, "two drops hurt his score"). PFF is great, but you've certainly got to take the grades with a grain of salt!

Biiiiiiig time! I remember when we were assessing OL grades this pre season and matching up with PFF's...some were pretty good and others couldn't have been more wrong.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is SOOOOO poor of a job by their operational defintion. A SAM's job, secondary, is to rush the passer unlike the WILL which is the primary responsibility. And dropping back in zones to help clog up passing lanes, covering RB's out of the backfield, switching from the SAM to WILL, rushing from the DL and/or dropping back in coverage from there (pick-6). That's just a very poor job of an operational defintion! Stat geeks, of course. Very little perspective on the game and ACTUAL responsibilities.

467 of Brooks' 983 snaps were as a pass rusher last year. This year it's 121 of 263. He's rushing the passer almost half of his snaps.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM ]

Nah, that's not what they mean. Last year Aldon's snaps were basically 55% pass rush/10% pass defense/35% run defense (306/51/225 snaps). Brooks was 45% pass rush/20% pass defense/35% run defense (467/129/387 snaps). Brooks rushes the passer almost as much as Aldon; only difference is he plays a little more coverage.

That's how they define it...but if you watch what Brooks does, he pushes upfield, sets the edge and forces things inside...it "looks" like a pass rush but it's really discipline edge-setting. He HAS to push up field to do that (pass rush is secondary). Now, if the play turns out to be a pass in the process, THEN, he'll try to play off the block and create a pass rush. Then on other times, he's just coming straight for the pass rush (primary). It all depends on the defensive call and what the play ends up being. It's a damn tough job and it's very exciting to see Lynch's early potential. Of note, how many sacks/pressures does he have when they are essentially, playing the same role? Maybe he's given the green light more? But most of his big plays have come on PD's and setting the edge and blowing up McCoy on a screen...sounds like there may be some bias every-snap analysis here given how high Lynch is graded and how low Brooks is graded.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM ]

I still don't see it. How can it be "Brooks' only job is pretty much rushing the passer" when he is rushing the passer on less than half his snaps?
Share 49ersWebzone