LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

KC Chiefs coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
That WR screen pass can be batted down or intercepted, keep that in mind.

Beat me to it...and were more succinct!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
On the Travis Kelce TD...I was thinking, why don't we ever call this play? It seems like a pretty surefire TD if you're 3-7 yards from the endzone.

Stack 3-4 WR/TE on one side, have Boldin be back off the line a bit, and just throw a quick lateral pass and use the other 2-3 guys to make a wall to plow forward into the endzone.

Good defenses can collapse that wall but then...good defenses can beat most sets a good deal of the time. I would rather put Ellington as the receiver...someone with a bit of scat back...or Gore who can use blockers so well.

Our defense couldn't stop this play against KC for a TD inside the 5 (IIRC). KC had two blockers in front bunched up with a 3rd lined up directly behind them (triangle)...Alex just tossed a quick one to the TE (?) and just plowed into the EZ behind the two blockers in front. Easy. I'm not even sure how you stop it esp. for us b/c CK and Gore can run inside as well, the defense HAS to play off a few yards at least.

PS: I like your wrinkle though dtg

Reid is a really good play caller and creator. A play like this will work occasiionally but usually on the back of other plays to set the table. The defense can only win a percentage of the time on well designed plays, so I didn't mean to imply the niners shouldn't use this play...among others. But run this play too often and the D will blow it up with the potential of a pick six. Smith ran it very well but can the niners? It takes a good bit of practice for those blockers to be in sync.

Yup, you need to have a dangerous bunch package that uncovers receivers in tight spaces. Keeping the defense on their heels is vital to getting a play like this to work. Multiple well-designed plays that you call with even frequency out of the same set.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
That WR screen pass can be batted down or intercepted, keep that in mind.

Beat me to it...and were more succinct!

great minds think alike! Then again anybody who doesn't agree with me , I lump in with BuZzB28. Just kidding Buzz! Don't become a Bradford fan!
Share 49ersWebzone