There are 207 users in the forums

Week 5 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Huge observations I didn't catch while stuck in the tension of the game yesterday:

1. Daniel Kilgore was just a monster in run-blocking, specially on plays up the middle with Gore and Hyde, I saw us chew up almost 5-6 yards every time we did it, even Simms was commenting how well we run up the gut despite teams knowing it's coming, we're looking like the classic Harbaugh 49ers right now. Willful, and dominating on the line.

2. Staley and Martin were just dominating the edges in the running game, I give our guys credit for this because I doubt KC's d-line knew how to handle this, as nobody has really attacked their edges the way we did so far this season. Sure there were some questions about their D-line stopping the run, but we pretty much showed the entire NFL how to beat the Chiefs defense, if you have a Gore + Hyde in your stable... if you're lucky.

Our RB core is dangerous, never in my life have I seen us boast two monsters, it's like you're replacing Gore with Young Gore on each package, creepy.

Good call on Kilgore - he's really owning the position.

I know we dominated KC in the ground game but I'm still skeptical that Kilgore was a major part of it. I will look at the next game and see how he does, but the pressure up the middle is comming from somewhere, most likely Boone, but I'm wondering if Kilgore might be responsible for some of that. I'm still of the opinion that Marcus Martin has a higher upside than Kilgore. But we'll see how he plays against a supposed better D-line in the Rams.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Huge observations I didn't catch while stuck in the tension of the game yesterday:

1. Daniel Kilgore was just a monster in run-blocking, specially on plays up the middle with Gore and Hyde, I saw us chew up almost 5-6 yards every time we did it, even Simms was commenting how well we run up the gut despite teams knowing it's coming, we're looking like the classic Harbaugh 49ers right now. Willful, and dominating on the line.

2. Staley and Martin were just dominating the edges in the running game, I give our guys credit for this because I doubt KC's d-line knew how to handle this, as nobody has really attacked their edges the way we did so far this season. Sure there were some questions about their D-line stopping the run, but we pretty much showed the entire NFL how to beat the Chiefs defense, if you have a Gore + Hyde in your stable... if you're lucky.

Our RB core is dangerous, never in my life have I seen us boast two monsters, it's like you're replacing Gore with Young Gore on each package, creepy.

I know we dominated KC in the ground game but I'm still skeptical that Kilgore was a major part of it. I will look at the next game and see how he does, but the pressure up the middle is comming from somewhere, most likely Boone, but I'm wondering if Kilgore might be responsible for some of that. I'm still of the opinion that Marcus Martin has a higher upside than Kilgore. But we'll see how he plays against a supposed better D-line in the Rams.

I think you've made it quite clear that Kilgore isn't your cup of tea. Banged your sister or something. Dude played well.

Boone however, was garbage again.

What !!!!!!

He handled Poe way better then most veterans centers have done...you're crazy

Kilgore was solid in the game, but not dominant. He might have had his best game though.

Kilgore, Skuta, are the types of guys that are easy to root for, but when you look at them closely, they lack that top athletic ability, and it shows.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
So much for all the regret of losing Marcus Cooper.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Baldie:
The spread offense isn't going to work if the OL can't pass protect. Teams already know this which is why they send an extra guy to rush when they go 4-5 wide. I believe most of Kaeps sacks are in the spread. Kaep is not fast enough yet to find the open guy. I think at his 2nd or 3rd read he's already in trouble and has to take off.

It works if you throw quick strikes (and with mulitple receivers running more exotic routes at different distances) vs 15-20+ yard all-go-routes at the same time/distance with no other options! Did anyone SEE the short designs KC was running to confuse our defense esp. in the first half and 3Q TD drive?

It doesn't seem like the 49ers have a "hot" receiver when facing blitzes. And ofcourse we make very little use of our backs in the pasing game as well. We are the worst screen passing team in the league which can help slow down a pass rush. Not many slants either which used to be a staple of ours and not many roll-outs as well. And why does the offense always seem to stall in scoring territory so we can settle for a FG?

Appreciate your comments Geidi.

There were a number of times during the game that the announcer pointed out what a fine job Kilgore was doing.

I took more notice and he did a very good job. He took Poe out of the play more often than not. NOT perfect but very good.

As far as Martin goes, he may indeed have a higher upside BUT in reality, is still unproven. He wouldn't be the first "great" prospect who wasn't as advertised.

I really hope he is - since that would make us even better.

Having a guy like Kilgore truly makes us better.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

What !!!!!!

He handled Poe way better then most veterans centers have done...you're crazy

Poe, like all the better 3-4 NTs in the league, was doubled teamed most of the game, and it worked quite well. One of the reasons it worked so well was because KC is playing what amounts to backup DTs due to injury. KC losing Mike DeVito would be roughly the equivalent to us losing Ray McDonald and having to replace him with a guy off the practice squad. IOW, it was a huge hit. The overall result was that the 49ers were able to use run blocking schemes that took maximum advantage of angles in blocking Poe without having to worry about DTs. This weakness at DT also helped the off tackle run game for the same reason.

Also, don't use the one play highlighted in this thread where Poe looks like he got tossed aside very easily. That one play is an aberration. I don't know what Poe was anticipating on that play but he is NEVER moved aside that way, even against the very best centers in the league.

I hope Kilgore really has turned the corner in this game. So far this season he has been very average, sometimes below average. As noted above, the Rams front line is better and healthier than the Chiefs so we will get a better idea of exactly how much he has progressed. Rams run a lot of stunts inside with Michael Brockers, who is a handful. They miss Chris Long but Robert Quinn is perhaps the best pass rushing DEs in the league. Kilgore will have to bring his A game.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Jim Harbaugh´s thoughts after rewatching the game.

The San Francisco 49ers head coach pointed out the positives and negatives of his team's third win of the season while also looking forward to Week 6.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Jim_Harbaugh_Reviews_Key_Plays_from_Week_5_Win/3ae0990f-ffd3-4e5b-9f66-e7865364be49
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
He pumps fakes a lot when he's ready to throw but the hole closes or it isn't open.
if you mean pump fake like on double moves... we rarely if ever call double moves for our wr's

they're not going deep and every defense knows this. that's why it was crucial to get lloyd deep and we need to get ellington deep so they can't squat 15 yards and in like teams have been doing against us.

Long routes take time to develop. The offensive line needs to provide that time consistently for Kap to get the ball out of there.

Share 49ersWebzone